Lets See those Pro Freedom memes

14 Likes

16 Likes

I am all for satire and snark in world of memes. However, posts like this one that appear to cite a real quote by a notable person with no indication of the innate falsity are abhorrent. Too many people walk away thinking this really happened.
Search the web for any form of the speech citation brings you to multiple legitimate factcheck cites clearly establishing this “quotation” as a FaceBook falsification.
After posting this reply I will be flagging the post for removal.

1 Like

Anyone besides me notice that search results are heavily skewed toward left leaning sites these days? I am not so quick to accept “truths” from fact sites anymore. Unfortunately, the speech itself cannot be found for whatever reason. Maybe there was no speech at the WHO that day, but it is increasingly difficult to find actual sources anymore. Certainly, if the WHO met that day there would be some video or audio record of it.

4 Likes

Yes, and in fact some of the so-called “fact checkers” (like Snopes, which 15 years ago was a great site)) are relatively unreliable these days. I think that is because the progressive left is much more into censorship than free speech than traditionalist conservatives. There are just WAAAY more left-leaning fact-checker sites than moderate or conservative ones.
However, they key analysis in this case is that there is no record of any such speech at all, nor does a “conference on eugenics” make sense. Even the UN would not name a conference like that!

2 Likes

Who gives a ■■■■ if its real or not? This is a meme thread, full of satirical humor and some possible truths. You were probably one of the people whining that Braveheart and Robin Hood werent historically accurate.

I think we found one of our flaggers, OldDude.

1 Like

Nope, this is the only flag I have every thrown in the community. Further, notice I did so openly, not anonymously. My desire is for discussion and awareness, not censorship. Had the same content been posted without a false attribution to a real person and phony event, I would have shrugged my shoulders at the post and gone on about my business.

Get off your high horse. Do you realize how many jokes/memes there are with false attributions to real people and phony events there are out there? Ever heard of satire? What are you gonna do, save the world one flag at a time?

2 Likes

12 Likes

9 Likes

10 Likes

I don’t hold this against you Craig. For memes to be effective they have to have at least an element of the truth.

Take the squirrel meme as an example. It’s not likely that a squirrel was actually seen scampering around with a MAGA hat, but you could certainly picture a liberal blaming a falling tree on a crazed MAGA squirrel.

4 Likes

@Craig_AR Love ya Brother but I can take care of my own management of misinformation. But thanks for caring.

1 Like

15 Likes

66b71b7019d3a40b

20 Likes

15 Likes

14 Likes

8 Likes

13 Likes

15 Likes