Hurricane Ian

Man moving from New York to Florida has been such an experience. Like night and day. No better time to protect yourself like now due to Hurricane IAN that’ happens to hit us anytime now. So many ways that the USCCA helps to protect you , not just from bad guys but also to be on Survival mode as well. For ANYONE in the FLORIDA area, How ARE YOU PREPARING for this Hurricane?

3 Likes

I stay partially prepared year round. Preparations for this one should have been completed no later than yesterday. This is my personal checklist:

• Year Round Preparations:
    • Maintain Stock of Bottled Water
      • 1 Gallon containers
      • Individual Multipacks
    • Maintain Fuel Levels
      • Cars, Boat & Propane
    • Maintain Stock of Pool Liquid/Shock Chlorine
    • Maintain Stock of Batteries & Flashlights
    • Maintain Stock of Medications
  • Early Preparations:
    • Clear Breezeway
    • Remove Sun Shade
    • Remove Privacy Screen
    • Remove Umbrella(s)
    • Remove and Charge Boat Battery
    • Test Power Inverter
    • Strap Rear of Boat to Trailer
    • Remove Breezeway Ceiling Fan Blades
    • Trim Palm & Coconut Trees
    • Trim Bougainvillea
    • Test Generator
    • Turn on Pool House Water Heater
    • Remove Pool Cleaner
  • Last Minute Preparations:
    • Connect Boat to a Vehicle or Strap to Sun Shade Posts
    • Tape Boat Hatches Closed
    • Secure Boat Seat
    • Secure GPS Cover
    • Secure Fence Gate Down-Rods & Bolt/Lock Latches
    • Tie/Secure Garbage Cans & Lids
    • Zip-Tie Garden Hoses
    • Zip-Tie Pool Box
    • Tape Front Door
    • Latch Garage Doors
6 Likes

Another item I just remembered that’s not on my list, but always available for me is a ladder and a chain saw to cut your exit thru the roof if there is chance of drowning in your house.

Also, a battery powered weather radio and fully charged cell phones are critical to have on hand as well.

5 Likes

WOW, you are good to go! Ready for whatever

1 Like

You are good Gary… always good to be prepared

1 Like

Basic items that your everyday people sometimes over look . One main asset I just got was a generator ,down here it’s like gold to have

4 Likes

I’ve been living in hurricane zone most of my life. I realized long ago that if I don’t have a checklist, then I am definately going to miss something.

Everybody’s list should be slightly different depending on their particulars. All my windows and doors are impact except the front door. I tape it up with painter’s tape from the outside because I have found it works as good or better than sandbags - it’s also a lot easier to put it on and remove it.

2 Likes

Learning these lessons now, very early to.

1 Like

To everyone in the path of Hurricane Ian, please stay safe!

10 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

@Ang, if you stand in the very eye of hurricane Ian, you are still a lot safer than taking a stroll on NYC street :slight_smile:

So, eventually police declares conditions are too rough for them to take 911 calls, and they hunker down in their precincts. At this very moment predators come out. You can find videos of this from hurricane Irma a few years ago. Stay vigilant and safe.

3 Likes

I’m definitely sending prayers out to all of those that will be affected by the hurricane.

3 Likes

You’re right growing up their I’ve seen it all. And it just has gotten worst.

5 Likes

Fox news headline. HURRICANE IAN DEVISTATES FLORIDA. :pray:

1 Like

Some parts got hit hard and still working it’s way north of Florida.

2 Likes

@Ang Don’t know what part of Florida you’re at but stay safe. It’s going to be a rough one.

2 Likes

@Ronald150 Thank you for the support.And it’s Clearwater Florida

2 Likes

A good updated article with tracker map. I will take 34 inch’s of snow any day.

3 Likes

@Ang been there at the beach, beautiful sunsets.

1 Like

Thank you; praying for those on the hard hit areas

2 Likes