Help where to start, Advice

@Anne1776

Once you get comfortable, try IDPA. It’s alot of fun.

4 Likes

Skeet, trap, sporting clays, are all really fun shotgun games. You can do them on your own (if the range has an electronic launcher), with friends, or as part of a league or competition. It may even help you get used to firearms because it will “feel” not as loud as an indoor range.

Shotguns are pretty loud, but because the sport is outdoors it doesn’t sound anywhere near as loud as an indoor range. On an indoor range, all the sound pressure is confined and the sound echoes off of the floors, walls, ceilings, and lanes which results in everything being really loud. On an outdoor range, the sound pressure is not confined, theres nothing to echo off of, and the soft ground and trees help muffle sound.

The sports teach you a lot about aiming at a moving target (learning to anticipate where it will be) and managing recoil.

As others have mentioned, there are sports like IPSC and IDPA which will surely have chapters at least somewhere near you. I would recommend you at least get comfortable with firearms before undertaking those competitions though.

When you find an instructor near you, they will also likely know of more local resources that you can connect to.

5 Likes

@Anne1776 I’m late to the party… @Zavier_D sorry I missed your tag earlier! A ton of good advice on here already.

A blue gun is a rubber or plastic replica, usually without an operating trigger. It’s used for training where a live firearm might not be safe. A SIRT is a replica firearm with an operating trigger that projects one or two laser dots to allow practice where you can’t actually shoot (like inside your house). There are also Airsoft guns that shoot a plastic BB and with the right setup can be shot indoors.

For “real” firearms I’m going to echo the advice to find a class or an instructor who can work with you privately. They will have access to a .22 or .380 or other low-recoil firearms for you to learn on.

Definitely double up on the ear protection. Watch the training videos. Pick up a copy of the USCCA Women’s Concealed Carry book or The Cornered Cat book and build your information as that will help your confidence.

Don’t worry about being afraid… that’s 100% normal… we all have some and many of us have a lot and mastering it’s a process we go through with the help of good teachers and mentors… you will too.

Don’t worry about being strong… start with a teacher who works with you where you are and you’ll get where you need to go.

Look for a women’s shooting group like The Well Armed Woman or A Girl And A Gun… see if either has a chapter near you… they are a great place to start and you’ll find lots of women who share your experience.

And, you’ve got us, besides. You can do this.

5 Likes

one could also look for a friend who has used their weapon a lot and has it “broken in”. This will be much easier to work the slide (if shooting a semi automatic).

5 Likes

Hey Anne, just wondering if you found the support you were looking for to get started shooting? Just saw the thread while looking thru some older ones, thought I’d hit you up. I looked at the Well Armed Woman site and they have five NJ chapters (if I understood your location correctly). Best to you…

2 Likes

First off, start with a 22 for lack of recoil. You will work your way up to stronger calibers. For noise, use plugs AND muffs. Put plugs in properly, then the muffs, pretty much block the sound. The “fire” was just unburned (burning) powder, and as it was going AWAY, it can’t hurt you. Strength doesn’t really have much to do with shooting, but you still need to be shown PROPERLY. As to klutziness, proper training will help you to hold the gun and stand properly, so you don’t drop the gun. My last suggestion is to move from NJ to a more gun friendly state. NJ doesn’t seem to care about “passing through” laws, so don’t speed or do anything to make yourself attractive to the police. If you enjoyed rifle practice, you will do well with pistols, but you may like rifles more. And that is perfectly fine, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. We are in this as a FAMILY. Great to hear that another woman getting into this. Thanks

3 Likes