Getting involved with 3rd party encounters

How did the mother sign the baby out of the nursery if she didn’t sign the baby in to start with? The nursery staff needs a way to communicate quickly with the security team.

4 Likes

They definitely need a way to get ahold of the security team, quickly. At my church, we have 2 armed security members stationed at the nursery area. That is the area they cover each week. This allows them to be there at all times, and the children are familiar with them.

The first time I stood in for one of them, the children looked at me like I was a bad guy because they didn’t know me. It took a few weeks, but now they are okay with me being there, and now I get regular high-fives and fist bumps. :smile:

5 Likes

Devil’s Advocate response. This is not how I feel or what I would do.

The child is definitely showing signs of fear and obviously doesn’t want to go with the man…

The child had attempted to shoplift a candy bar and…

A) It’s his father, and the boy knows he is getting a spanking when he gets home.

Or

B) It’s one of the stores plain clothes loss prevention employees.

3 Likes

That’s why cops hate to answer domestic disputes. Wife demands cops arrest hubby. Cops go to put the cuffs on hubby, wifey jumps the cops scratching, spitting and biting. That’s why cops invented the 72 hour divorce. No arrests, no torn uniforms, no bites and scratches. Husband is out of the house, wife cools down so that when hubby comes home on Monday night everything is lovey-dovey. Kids stay at home with wifey, not in some foster home under the tender mercies of CPS. Taxpayers save a bundle of dough.

Not talking about a case involving serious injury just a case with, perhaps, mutual slapping or shoving.

To address the scenario posed, one does not regain custody by demanding the return of the child in a public place. One goes with police officers to the public place to obtain custody of a child and enforce a court order. Demanding a child and attempting to wrest physical custody away from someone else is a scenario that will result in numerous bad results and probably most of them adverse to everyone involved as pointed out by various other posters,.

5 Likes

or just call 911to solve the problem

1 Like

Reading is hard, I am guessing. :thinking::innocent:

2 Likes

Learned the getting involved with a 3rd Party the hard way although there were no guns involved. Back in the late 70’s me and a couple of friends stopped in to a random bar we had never visited before for a couple of brews. It was a normal Saturday afternoon. A couple sitting at the bar started squabbling when all of sudden the man rears back and punches her breaking and spreading her nose all over her face and knocking her off barstool. He immediately straddles her with one hand around her throat and rears back punch her again. I bum rushed him, knocking him off her and gave him a couple of good shots. Just as I’m ready to stop and check on her she jumps on my back and proceed to start pummeling me about the head and shoulders and screaming because I’m beating up her boyfriend
A real WTF moment.

11 Likes

Exactly. That’s what we learned in our Armed Women of America class. Be a good witness.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this experience and it was awesome having you with us at the Expo! It truly is important to be a good witness for the safety of yourself and others. You never know what the back story is or what the circumstances leading up to that event are.

This is why it’s impossible to answer when people ask us “Is it legal to do this or that”. Every situation is different and there is never a clear-cut “Yes this is legal to use force”.

Most people would assume that the mother is the victim in your scenario above, I probably would have thought that too based on trends and what we most commonly see, but the reality is that is not always the case.

Be a good witness and only use force to stop a threat of great bodily harm or death.

3 Likes

the statement read; “…he runs into the mall…”. Not walked- just sayin

2 Likes

the key word is always; “de-escalate”. sometimes a reasonable voice will calm the situation. and have your wife call the LEOs as in, dispatch- much quicker the 911. keep local law enforcement on speed dial. we had a similar engagement (video) in our concealed carry class, there was only one classmate who thought the outcome should’ve been de-escalated, the instructor was surprised.

1 Like

From what I know, if you don’t know 100% about a situation, be a good witness and call 911. In this case, keep the pair apart until police get there.

3 Likes