Deer Hunting with 5.56

I would definitely use a higher caliber myself. My current contemplation is deciding if my son would have more success with a lighter caliber he is willing and able to practice with a lot or a heavier caliber that he is likely not going to want and I won’t be able to afford to have him practice with as much?

3 Likes

There’s in the freezer dead, and buzzard feed dead. In the freezer is easier to accomplish with a larger caliber.

Have you considered a 6.5 Grendel upper? I’d say it’s optimal for the ar 15 platform.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Do you need to swap the buffer or spring?

Buzzard feed can happen just as easily with a big caliber if you miss your shot. Especially if you develop bad flinching habits because of it. Though I agree that .223 is not ideal. But a lot of people seem to be having success with .223 quality bonded bullets and shots under 150 yards. I wouldn’t consider using it past 100 and would likely keep my sons first shot under 75.

I don’t plan on hunting with my AR and not sure the Grendel would resolve the potential recoil issues for my son as he is learning to shoot. I don’t reload so I am sure that we couldn’t afford to have him shoot it a lot. Right now my in house options are a .223 or light loads in a 308. I have a bunch of cheap 223 he can practice with when he gets old enough. I have no light .308 loads and at $1.50+ Per round for the light hunting loads the practice will be limited. If money isn’t so tight and ammo isn’t as expensive in the next few years when he is finally ready to hunt I would likely get him a .243 or similar for his first deer hunt. But I think recoil would likely still be an issue for a pre teen in that caliber.

1 Like

No. Just the upper and a Grendel magazine and you’re in business.

Part of the reason I suggested the bullet drop plus app to see how quickly the energy falls off.

There’s no replacement for quality trigger time. And then it’s easy enough to switch uppers when the time comes and he’s showing eagerness and improvements. I’m a believer that double hearing protection is just as important as recoil mitigation for new shooters.

2 Likes

Completely agree on the double hearing protection regardless of age or recoil sensitivity.

2 Likes

If you are looking to stay AR platform, I built a 6.8SPC for the kids with carbon fiber hand guard and collapsible stock. Son and daughter both used for their first two years. Very light and controllable. Had my doubts but it hit like a hammer. Just an opinion or option for you.

5 Likes

I like the idea of the 6.8 round for either SD or short range hunting. Though I haven’t seen any 6.8 ammo in a long time. Not sure how the 6.8 recoil compares to .300 BLK which would also be a good option on deer if they make good hunting bullets for it?

6.8 I don’t think really took off. It’s around, sparse, but around. 300 does have soft point, again sparse. Both would be a great option. Great idea on the 300. I have one for SD but didn’t dawn on me.

Edit, would say 300 is a bit more recoil but, very similar.

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of the 6.8 because it’s limited to light for caliber bullets. The brass length is long and therefore the bullets have to be short to fit the magazine length of the ar platform.

I looked at 6.8 spc factory loads and 110 to 115 grain seems standard with a couple of offerings reaching 120 grain. The smaller bore diameter 6.5 Grendel is 123 grain for the standard load and has factory ammunition up to 130 grain. The skinnier heavier bullets will naturally have higher ballistic coefficients and higher sectional density for better penetration.

2 Likes

@I_am_Harry >> The most important thing is ( SHOT PLACEMENT ) to stop/kill any living thing.

• fyi, people that meat hunt ( legal or not ) use full Metal Jacket bullets to
    Minimize meat damage.
  • every deer I ever neck shot without even passing thru the vertebrae
    of spinal cord dropped in their tracks, still leaving enough meat for a nice neck roast. ( only imo ) I don’t chase deer anymore.
    PS: one exception was a 9 pointer, the only shot I had was a gut shot. It took me over 3 hrs. To find him to include slashing 3 of my fingers to the bone and it was worth every stitch of it.
  • PSS : if you want to be a better hunter, observe the animals your hunting to better understand them instead of ( if it’s brown it’s down ).
    Good hunting, be safe.

Don’t forget the story about the old bull & the young bull.
3 Likes

PS: deeper throat is also known as free bore or bullet jump ( its there for a reason ) there’s a lot more to it but nuff for now.

2 Likes

Wow, there’s so much old wife’s tales about 5.56 vs. .223 that it would be funny if it weren’t so sad.

1 Like

Please share…

2 Likes

Welcome to our community.

Please enlighten us on what incorrect information has been posted?

3 Likes

Exactly

2 Likes

To further explain ( DEER ) neck shots.

• the >>> base <<< of the neck doesn’t move as much as their head does that in most cases ( with exception ) is on a swivel )
  • animals/peoples not weevils die from traumatic shock that although may not be instantaneous can immediately disable.
  • instantaneous death ( with exception ) can be caused with a head shot
    that is more difficult to make and from experience can be ugly unless a small caliber is used.

this information is only based on my personal experience.
PS: I tried not to be long in the tooth but if this informations helps people to not run around in the woods like a fart in a skillet following a blood trail than I’m happy.

1 Like

There is conflicting information about the 5.56 and 223.

• follow manufacturers instructions for each fire arm and, you won’t have to go down the old rabbit hole.
  • the design of some cartridges were driven by money.
    IE:
  • the military had money to spend and they did ( use it or loose it )
    Why didn’t they use the Remington 222 magnum ?

1 Like

My understanding is the military wanted supersonic at 500 meters. The 222 couldn’t achieve it. The 222 magnum exceeded it and the 223 was just right.

1 Like