De-escalation in Home Invasions?

When I joined USCCA, I introduced myself. In my “bio,” I stated that I never had to use my weapon against any persons. I was blessed to be able to de-ede-escalate volatile situations, even if having to arrest a suspect, or perpetrator. The one situation I know where de-escalation is virtually impossible are the dreaded home invasions. Yes, I can defend my loved ones, yet, in an increasingly hostile social climate, I realize how so much more I need to learn. I’m blessed to have found my USCCA family.

16 Likes

I watch the John Correia YouTube Active Self Protection channel. The average time from dynamic entry to inside home and spreading is 7 seconds in a home invasion that’s not a whole lot of time to negotiate in.

9 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Unfortunately a home invasion is nonnegotiable. If it’s night time and you’re home, the intent is to harm, if it’s daytime, the intent is to steal. However I recommend using a 12 gauge as a primary negotiator! Consider it diplomatic immunity.

10 Likes

Thank you! Sounds great. I will click the link.

1 Like

I have those on all three of my entry doors. I have 2 metal sheath doors and 1 heavy wood composite door.
Just make sure your door is at least as strong as the lock, otherwise intruders will kick through it. :+1:
I remember a conversation with a prepper group about installing break resistant or even bullet proof glass on the windows, while many exterior walls won’t stop a heavy pistol bullet and surly not a rifle bullet. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I like that…

The Negotiator… by Mossberg.
Negotiate Your Peace Todaystarting at $399

4 Likes

They already have a Persuader

About all the negotiating your going to get is “get out, I have a gun!”
And remember, 100% of home invasions, happen at home.

7 Likes

Good one. :rofl:

2 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

I totally agree!

1 Like

A home invasion situation at my house will only involve determining if the police have a wrong address. If there is no announcement that they are blue, I will shoot.

2 Likes

That was the major issue with Houston’s Police Chief Art Acevedo. The No Knock Warrants were too frequently being executed (many times literally executed) at the wrong addresses. Mr. Acevedo never took responsibility for these “mistakes;” made under “information” bought from confidential informants, with no real investigation done. I agree with your assessment. I would never shoot unless I was forced to do so. I will always assess The worst situation in a “wrong address” no knock warrant. The chances of innocent people being killed are too high.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of Clint Smith. His home invasion process is very simple. Call 911 keep them on the line so call is recorded, don’t move through the home unless you need to (I need to get my kid). Don’t tell them you have a gun. Using a light to identify target (make sure it’s not a misunderstanding). The moment you realize it’s an unwanted intruder You yell “Get out of my house” if they don’t respond you shoot until they no longer pose a threat.

I’ll put a link in a video he made.

3 Likes

Thank you, my friend.

2 Likes

The wrong address ‘no knock’ warrant served is a no win. Thankfully, very very rare.
Rob Pincus does a great job describing what to do in a break in–very similar to Cint Smith’s advice already posted.
He recommends saying loudly “I’m armed and will defend myself if you continue to advance” (paraphrased).
Have you made your castle a ‘castle’? Reinforced door frames, window locks, etc? Layers of defense (cameras, lights, locks, dogs, etc.)?
USCCA has great advice on strengthening the defenses in your home. Please check it out–there is a checklist on home security that’s really good.
Hang tough!

2 Likes

Here is another relevant video with the numbers to back it up. I found it informative. :+1:

1 Like

As a Virginia resident, I will not try to de-escalate home invasions or warn home invaders in any way. It is just too easy to become party to the problem and then you have a duty to retreat.

1 Like

I am a Crisis/hostage negotiator. Also CIT certified. In a true home invasion, that is NOT a time to try and verbally de escalate. Period

6 Likes

That was the point I was aiming for. Thank you.

2 Likes