Church Security how do you prepare for the holidays?

Many major religions have special celebrations this time of the year, which often bring record attendance for services — including a fair number of people who don’t regularly attend.

How does your house of worship prepare for new or not as familiar faces during the holidays?

6 Likes

With open arms the way God intended.

10 Likes

My Church is loaded including priests, well trained. We welcome everyone with open hearts.

4 Likes

The church we attend has a whole EOP that I proposed, formulated and instituted with the approval of the pastor and elders.

Prior to this at other churches we’ve attended, I’ve always carried. In Texas this is legal.

2 Likes

I’ve trained a few of our guys on threat detection. We look like greeters but are assessing people as they approach the building and staging other security members during worship depending on observations made before. We have 2 or 3 guys who open carry placed in high visibility areas as a deterrent everyone else is concealed.

2 Likes

No change other than an increased number of security people on sight.

5 Likes

Church is pretty much outlawed during Christmas here in CA.

2 Likes

That’s us. The guy that makes the assignments for church patrol knows those of us that are armed. Seems we are always the ones on patrol duty when we expect larger crowds, of new faces. I’m sure that’s a coincidence. :smirk:

3 Likes

We keep things business as usual, head on a swivel and alert. We just got a couple of new security team members so it’s an advantage. We have regular weekend meetings and debriefings after services. Higher state of situational awareness.

2 Likes

“I must stop Christmas from coming” ~the grinch

3 Likes

That sucks. I would go anyway, especially in light of the latest Supreme Court ruling.

I live in a SMALL town, small church, all farmers and ranchers. I would guess everyone over 21 is armed anyways, church no exception. Someone brought it up at a Monday night Bible Study. Short silence while everyone looked at everyone else then just laughter.

5 Likes

Many are afraid of the 'Rona and that keeps them, away as does the colder weather (we’re prohibited by Newsom from meeting indoors)
The Sheriff and PD won’t enforce Newsom’s tyranny, but there are State entities that are heavy handed
when it comes to enforcement and they make it known they are out there, watching.

2 Likes

“Land of the free …”

4 Likes

Our church has had a sizable influx of new people as of recently. We welcome all, but our security is ever watchful and SITUATIONAL awareness is, as always, the first step. Now, thankfully we are a small town and the majority of the people live in our community, so they are known.

For those not from our town, they are still welcomed and we give them the benefit of the doubt, but we keep an eye on them. There are several of us that are armed, I won’t say how many, but we train together and know the looks we give each other.

4 Likes

We have 5 groups of 10.
We train together monthly. Individuals or pairs usually weekly.
Once an older lady ran up to me and gave me a big hug. She felt my firearm and exclaimed loudly “WHAT’S THAT!?!” I softly responded “Ummm…it’s my insulin pump”. She patted my hand. The other team members were trying not to spit out their coffee.

Another time a person entered the church with a piece of luggage on rollers and just drug it all over the place. I was assigned to keep an eye on her. she had just missed her plane and didn’t know what to do with her luggage. A lot goes on during church service that people don’t understand or don’t realize.

4 Likes

We attend a small church comprised of mostly older folks. My wife and I are basically the security team as well as the musical component so while playing, it can be difficult to remain focused on the door or attentive to an unknown visitor (which is not very often). In SC, you have to have a CWP as well as permission from the pastor, deacon, or church board to carry in that church. If someone unknown and/or sketchy were to enter, they would not go un-noticed. From the first point of recognition, eyes would be on them and security would be “on-ready” until the service is over and they left. Always glad to have new people in the Lord’s house but let’s face it, not all of them are there to hear His word. Evil is everywhere and “chance favors the prepared mind”. Like salvation; “is better to stay ready than to have to worry about getting ready when the time comes.”

3 Likes

By staying vigilant, staying friendly, and having extra eyes watching.

In regular (non-covid) years, I can’t stress enough the importance of communication and having someone watching the cameras. If someone sees something out of place, everyone knows about it right away, and the security leads can followup on it.

Security in our church all have matching collared shirts. (it doesn’t say security, but most people are able to figure it out) - I think having uniformed security is one of the reasons we never really had many problems. (we’re one of those “mega” churches, so Christmas for us is typically over 40,000 people across all services and campuses)

1 Like