AR's & Difference in Quality?

So for most people at normal distances, the cheap one will be fine. I noticed his shooting at about 18’ that he did not have the same fingering on the trigger in the multi-round shooting shown. That will impact accuracy even more than anything else.

1 Like

For me it’s not so much about accuracy at “normal” distances, but rather longevity of the weapon itself or how much abuse it can take before it starts breaking down. My Ruger is plenty accurate for defense purposes. The question is more of, where is my rifle going to be in two years, five years, etc.

3 Likes

I’ve decided to replace my FM PCC. Basically I got it purely as a defensive tool, not plinking, and it has trouble with defensive rounds. Not to mention you just can’t compare the stopping power of a 75-grain .223 HP to a 9mm HP. I’m looking to stay budget’ish with what I buy and am between Ruger’s 10.3" and Radical Firearms 10.3", possibly even PSA’s. I have a 16" Ruger now and it performs well. I’m not sure I like reading that Ruger isn’t always compatible with common AR15 parts. Radical Firearms seems to have gained a solid reputation as well which is why I’m looking at them. PSA looks good but they’re about $200 more than the other two options and I didn’t think they were any better than what I mentioned. Anybody have feedback to share?

1 Like

The big difference between entry level & higher end models are going to be in the tolerances & quality of materials being used. If you grab an AR whose receivers are sloppy & wobbling all over the place it may get the job done but, it won’t be anywhere’s near as accurate as a mated receiver.

2 Likes

Ruger, I think all the ones listed here are generally compatible with normal AR15 parts. Seems like their SR series is the different one, but I’m not up to date on their offerings. Here’s a review of the AR-556.

I don’t have personal experience with the Radical Firearms brand except I keep getting them confused with Radian (which is very nice). Reviews by Honest Outlaw and MrGunsNGear approve and their vote carries a lot of weight with me.

Between the Ruger, Radical, and PSA it sounds like you have good options I would go with the one that is nicest to your wallet.

2 Likes

Thanks Harvey, your feedback is appreciated as always. As long as the inventory holds up I’m leaning towards the Radical Firearms or the Ruger. The PSA are nice but they’re about $200 more but if they were notably better I’d go with PSA.

2 Likes

after a lot of back & forth in another thread here, I went with a S&W M&P retailed thru PSA.
this is our/my 1st AR, and as I learn what to look for, I’m sure there will be a few lessons learned. hopefully none too severe.

1 Like

John I served as an armorer in the military for 6yrs. S&W is a good AR platform to start off with. I have an M&P AR10 in 308. Just like anything else, practice and run different types of ammunition through it to see what works best with it. ARs are kinda like the lego blocks of rifles. You’ll have no trouble adjusting it to your needs and its easy to do. Its an easy and fun gun to shoot. Good luck with it.

4 Likes

Gilberto - thanks for that. I once had a S&W pistol, and a 30-.06 rifle. I shoulda never let either of them get away.
so I am already sold on the brand; and looking forward to getting our feet wet on this one.

2 Likes