Almost varmint season

Falconry is a very visible way of pissing away wealth. Rather like camel racing.

A shift to ferret-legging seems a bit more Brit and not quite as showy.

Not to present too parochial, display here in the colonies seems more inclined to the club sports.

Depends on what it was trained to fetch, Iā€™d think.

1 Like

Ever have any jamming problems or misfires (dud) with this ammunition?:

32 grain CCI .22 LR

Thats my choice of ammo for small game hunting with my Marlin model 60. Iā€™ve never had a jam or misfire yet and extremely accurate. Itā€™s about the limit on velocity that I can use with the micro rifling that my gun uses. May be different for you depending on your firearm but worth a shot I think.

1 Like

Its been three days since I took a cpl shots at the groundhog under an out building. My wife was just looking out a window and it was right up next to our house in our flower garden eating all the flower bulbs and roots.

Learned from experience that this groundhog had been hunted before. Got out the 10-22, cracked the side door open. It heard me but didnā€™t know where I was. I eased the barrel out the door, lined up the head shotā€¦dropped her with one shot. Poked her with the rifle barrel, not a twitch from the body. Put it in the bin for pick up in the morning.

3 Likes

:+1: William.

1 Like

You shoot it you eat it. :joy:
They do get smart. But, I guess if I were to get shot at, I too, would be a little cautious. Well done.

2 Likes

It also scared our chickens and they wouldnā€™t lay in their nesting boxes. Itā€™s been a bitch to find the new places they were laying eggs.

Guess I never imagined it would affect the chickens. You donā€™t have to eat it now. I see you were doing it for the girls. Lol

1 Like

Iā€™ve got to kill 4 to 5 groundhogs a year invading my garden.Also have craploads of opossum and Racoons.i got to shoot several of those over the years.In the yard itā€™s this with 00 buck.

The population of opossums this year has been crazy Racoon is above normal, hogs below normal, armadillos way above normal.

I try not to waste 00 on small critters, bird shot does pretty well, so does a 22lr. But, the results of 00 can be most gratifying if youā€™ve been battling them! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No joke, some may be edible. Which can be humane, and help offset that weekā€™s food/grocery budget.

OMG, Iā€™d rather have someone throw rocks at my head than to have to eat a opossum or a racoon.

Iā€™ve tried groundhog. Iā€™d eat it again.

1 Like

IMO = ticks only let go off the host if they are full and seek the earth to reproduce or the host loses itā€™s body heat. The most popular thing to do is field dress ( remove organs and guts ) while your still in the field. If itā€™s small game put them in a plastic bag. If you hang a large game animal like a deer for any length of time the ticks will work them selfs to the ends of the hair. I put a large wash pan under the animal with a little water to catch any falling ticks. The other very important thing to not do is rupture or cut the guts or the pee bladder because especially the pee bladder cause it will spoil the taste of the meat. This is stuff I do. Thereā€™s a lot more to dressing bigger game so if you can keep company with some good old boys. I have a lot a lot of good memories and hunting stories that I will always remember, sites,sound, smells, funny things happen to make me laugh so lard Iā€™d fall to the ground.
PS: spend some time Observing animals you are going to hunt to better understand them instead of I see it I kill it. Also check your hunting guid regarding hunter orange and taking a hunter safety course required to get a hunting license. My state also requires a archery hunter safety class to get deer archery tags.
Good luck.

I actually like ground hog more than rabbit, more meat and taste better just have to remember to remove the glands before you cook them

2 Likes

Agreed but, you want to try a 40gr v-max at about 3800ft/sec. Then weā€™ll have this conversation again. :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve hit an armadillo long way before with a 223, it was like pulling the hotdog out of a hotdog bun.

1 Like

Please forgive my next statement. I will put some space here so if you are easily offended you may avoid it.

We call it ā€œred mist therapyā€

3 Likes

This thread has gone where I thought it would. :slight_smile:

4 Likes