Alleged burglar shot by homeowner with shotgun in Camp County - Property Defense or Self Defense?

Hello and welcome @Lloyd27

2 Likes

All states need similar laws

2 Likes

If someone is in my home, at night, having broken in, i have to assume he is there to commit violence against my family. Even here in illinoisistan, the act of a forceable felony provides justification for the use of deadly force.

5 Likes

Donā€™t ā€œassumeā€, BELIEVE!

(720 ILCS 5/7-2) (from Ch. 38, par. 7-2)
Sec. 7-2. Use of force in defense of dwelling. ` ` `(a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon a dwelling. However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:`
(1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent,
riotous, or tumultuous manner, and he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent an assault upon, or offer of personal violence to, him or another then in the dwelling, or
` ` ` ` `(2) He reasonably believes that such force is` ` ` `necessary to prevent the commission of a felony in the dwelling.` (b) In no case shall any act involving the use of force justified under this Section give rise to any claim or liability brought by or on behalf of any person acting within the definition of "aggressor" set forth in Section 7-4 of this Article, or the estate, spouse, or other family member of such a person, against the person or estate of the person using such justified force, unless the use of force involves willful or wanton misconduct.
(Source: P.A. 93-832, eff. 7-28-04.)

3 Likes

Legal easeā€¦potato/potato.
I have USCCA coverage and a card in my wallet i hand to coppers if i smoke someoneā€¦when the time comes for a discussion, ill be ready.
That said, PA law doesnt apply to meā€¦Iā€™m in illinoisistan, and believe it or not, if someone commits a forceable felony like breaking into my house, i can let the highly modified G-19, or the FNX Tactical 45, or any of my other handguns do their thing(they shoot themselves per the left).
But yes, believe is a stronger word as far as legal defense is concerned(and PA law)

ILCS stands for Illinois Combined Statutes. P. A. is the underlying Public Act.

Your very welcome!

2 Likes

Iā€™m of the mind set that this burglar easily could have moved to this person house when he was finished with the shed. I believe the defense of oneā€™s person and property was justified here. Moral of the story donā€™t steal or be a bad guy period and this wonā€™t happen to yĆ²u.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Conrad16 and you are in the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Conrad16

1 Like

Donā€™t take my word for it, take Chris Cerinoā€™s word for it.

2 Likes

Hahaha but seriously that 2nd scenario is one hell of a way to get a divorce going. I think the only reason sheā€™s carrying is because he wants her to. She isnā€™t mentally prepared.

This is an awesome training system. If you are going to make mistakes this is where to make them. It is similar to the FATS machine we used in NYPD. Great scenarios. The first scenario could happen to anyone the same exact way but I like the way he explained how he couldā€™ve changed the outcome by just backing away and leaving. In the second scenario the wife couldā€™ve definitely shot the bad guy right away.

2 Likes

I was referring to how he talked to her after the scenario was finished. I get that he was mad but the look on her face. She looked like a deer in headlights.

As for the first. IDK, I think backing away can put you in as much danger as confronting the guy. Will he see it as a sign of weakness that youā€™re using the gun as a bluff. I know never assume that but weā€™ have more training than the average Joe on the street. It sucks that the defender shot the guy because he whipped a stapler out. Then again play stupid games, win stupid prizes. He, the bugler, could have slowly pulled his hand up with nothing in it. I know I would with a gun pointed at me.

I agree excellent training.

1 Like