You stopped the home invader... what do you do next?

Nope, no restraint training here.

Your USCCA membership is there to assist you when you’ve had to physically defend yourself. If the restraint is in the act of self-defense your membership might be able to help you- the details of the situation and of course those state laws are always considered.

I’m not going to use any sort of restraint as that would mean I’d have to get too physically close to the threat. I agree with @45IPAC on that one.

3 Likes

I’ve seen it done 100,000 times in the movies…wait… are you suggesting we still need to train?! :laughing: :rofl: dang it, you’re no fun at all.
Nope, not trained. And I’ve had enough martial arts training to know better than to try high-risk stuff I’m not trained for.

1 Like

Just trying to use what experience and knowledge I have to help folks make an informed decision. It’s all well and good to think you can draw someone down then hogtie them and wait for backup, but there really is a lot more to consider than that.
In a perfect world we wouldn’t be talking about this, yet here we are.

2 Likes

@Spence, I’m trained in the use of handcuffs, leg restraints (both chain, and leather cord), and flex cuffs, but now that I’m retired, I wouldn’t cuff the person unless the situation warranted it. I would hope USCCA would cover me if I had to take on a second suspect in my home that was with the first and the only way I could defend myself from the first was to handcuff him/her while I encountered the second.

Edit to add: I went with USCCA for several reasons, one of them being we are covered with all types of weapons where some of the other carriers only cover you in shootings. I could make a case that handcuffs are a passive weapon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does duct taping kids to a chair count? Asking for a friend.

5 Likes

You’ve defended yourself against the first intruder in this hypothetical scenario, so hypothetically, it sounds like your USCCA Membership Benefits would be there for you.

With how many different laws/requirements/restrictions some states have I cannot give a 100% concrete answer when it comes to what if scenarios. Sorry about that guys, but it’s the nature of the beast. :confused:

3 Likes

I agree with Zee. They need to get face down on the ground. Standing they are to much of a threat because they can close the distance to fast. Any movement in my direction would be considered a threat of great bodily harm.

2 Likes

I actually had a similar scenario in my home except the intruder was unarmed, though I did not at first know that. I woke up and found him in my living room while sleeping on the sofa enjoying cool breezes coming through my screen door.

I reached for my hand gun and challenged him as he was heading toward my kitchen with bedroom and wife just beyond that.

I strongly asked him to stop and tell me ‘who are you and why are you here?’

I was prepared to shoot if he had not stopped or had shown any sign of aggression.

He did stop and I ordered him to sit down, still in my living room. He was compliant though obviously disoriented and non aggressive.

With my phone always nearby, I called 911, sat in a different place but near enough to react appropriately to his movements if any.

While we waited he gave me a phone # I called. His wife and police arrived about the same time. They sent him home with his wife who thanked me profusely for not shooting her husband.

2 Likes

WOW! I’m so glad you were able to calmly handle the situation, @GrandpasRock! Were there any clues that tipped you off to not shoot instantly? Waking up to a stranger wandering your home would be enough to get a lot of people to shoot.

1 Like

Waking from sleep at first thinking the wife opened the sliding screen door and realizing what was really the case, in the seconds it took me to be on my feet he had his back to me.

I think it was just instinct maybe the many mental exercises for what I would do that made me challenge him first and quickly assess the threat.

I think ‘shoot first,ask questions later’ is a bit irresponsible and maybe actionable.

2 Likes

You make a great point, @GrandpasRock, being mentally prepared is so important in both shooting and non-shooting situations.

1 Like

I would immediately call 911 and try to keep the invader within the area.

1 Like

@Amanda1, I like your 911 plan. You may want to check with your state laws on if you can hold the invader or not - in some states that can get you in trouble, if they’re retreating and leaving your house, you legally can’t hold them… just let them go and be a great witness. In some states, you can hold them, but not physically restrain them. In some, if you restrain them now you have to provide a positive defense as to why that was necessary, that you knew how to do so without excessive harm to them, and that you had no other choice but to do so… it gets a lot harder to legally justify and the law’s eye is now on you.

Holding the invader is legally complicated and you’re going to want to know you know what the legal limits are so you don’t invite more trouble than you already had.

Welcome to the group!

He is shoot, if He has not turn around and run. Then I will call 911 and USCCA if I have to. And you said they, to me they means two are more and what about they, if one has firearm (they) may all have a fireman. If they are facing me they all get shot. We have Stand your Ground Law.

1 Like