‘You Don’t Lose your Gun Rights During Traffic Stop’

6 Likes

This was an excellent read brother @Randall318 and as far as I am concerned that is a blatant disregard of a persons 2A rights. Those officers committed an illegal act by keeping those seized firearms. If you remove the firearm for safety reasons during a traffic stop investigation I’m ok with that but they must return that firearm afterwards right on the spot. Now mind you some officers are only following procedures which
were set by that police department. But some officers may even know it’s wrong but are afraid if they don’t do it they risk losing their jobs and livelihoods. They are between a rock and a hard place. I’m not making any excuses for these officers I’m just laying out facts.

4 Likes

Such a shame but cops in Chicago has been doing this since the 70’s. They keep the weapons as a throw away for when they do an illegal act of violence. They shot someone and either plant it on them or they drop it in a chase and shoot someone and say they had a weapon. I seen this many times growing up in Chicago. This is why everyone needs to start recording police on all contacts.

3 Likes

@Lu-Can, Same thing was going on in NYC at about the same times as in Chicago.

2 Likes

It’s partially a 2A issue, but it’s really an issue of 4A (illegal seizure) and 5A (deprived of property without due process).

Interesting that Louisiana law includes a duty to inform. That means citizens are required to tell officers if they have something worth stealing.

Imagine if someone had to tell an officer that they were carrying drugs, and then had their life-saving prescriptions seized. This is no different.

8 Likes

Agreed. Departmental procedures will vary nation wide. I think even if Louisiana was not a duty to inform state, it would still be wise after approached on official business to let the officer or sheriffs Deputy know you are armed.

4 Likes

You make a valid point and do think Leo’s should have the courage to stand up for the Constitution they are sworn to uphold instead of ‘rules’

5 Likes

Agreed!

I wonder, in this story, what the LEO’s experience was. I understand this has been an issue with NOPD for some time (since before Katrina, apparently), but I noticed that when the LEO was confronted days later she still had the firearm, and claimed that she did not know how to turn it in. That speaks to a stark level of ignorance and timidity (she couldn’t ask?), or perhaps a degree of corruption which should not be tolerated in any police department. It’s one thing to take improper possession of property, it’s quite another to walk around with it for days afterwards. She could be charged with theft, if the DA was up to the task.

4 Likes

Assuming the officer actually said what she reportedly said to the victim, I would have called 911 right then and there to report the theft of a firearm in progress. Then hung up and called a lawyer in case all the cops there were as corrupt as she is. If the victim didn’t have a friend in the department his firearm was very likely to eventually end up at a crime scene.

6 Likes

" I told her there was a gun in the glove box, just to warn her"
Well that didn’t start very well.

4 Likes

NOPD is notorious for corruption. They need to clean house. One of my soldiers worked for NOPD.

3 Likes

I wish they would have.

She should have become an example.

2 Likes

Certainly. If dispatch had told me to contact an attorney, I would said, “I’m not protesting the ticket. I made a mistake, and will pay for it. I’m reporting a theft, and the officer is the one who needs an attorney.”

4 Likes

Just look at the officer and be like,

“Sit tight buddy “ Gets on phone and calls 911

Tells 911 operator that you are a victim of armed robbery and the purp has ‘two’ guns and a badge!

Gets off phone, “Welp! At this post you have the right to remain silent anything you say will be used against you yada yada yada you know rest”

:joy: See what the officer does.

I pictured all that in my head but highly advise against any off that.

When suspect in criminal activity always invoke right to speak with an Attorney & SHUT UP! ( not saying that to anybody directly)

2 Likes

I really don’t know what I’d suggest in this scenario. I’d avoid poking Smokey the Bear while he’s trying to rob you. Seems like your phone is the best defense tool. Call for help and take a video, if you can. Of course, we’ve seen cases where someone did just that, and got shot by an officer, anyway.

Part of me would like to call 911 and say “I’m being robbed and the assailant just turned off her bodycam.” But at the end of the day, it’s less bad to lose your firearm than it is to lose your life. Maybe the answer is just to avoid New Orleans.

3 Likes

Care to provide an example of that?
Unless you meant they were also battering the officer or fleeing or resisting etc.

3 Likes

Philando Castile comes to mind. He was pulled over and informed the police officer that he had a firearm. Much speculation exists, but many folks surmise from the videos that he did nothing wrong, it was a traffic stop gone completely sideways.

This isn’t cop bashing (heck, we’re on a thread about an officer who violated multiple Constitutional rights), I’m just saying that stuff happens. And if an officer were to “steal” my firearm during a traffic stop, I don’t know if there’s a good way to respond without putting my own life in danger.

3 Likes

Not trying to be pedantic here, but precision matters.
Castile was NOT using his cellphone to film the officer.

3 Likes

I thought his girlfriend did. Had to look it up, she started recording after Castile was shot.

3 Likes

Because filming the cops is what you should do instead of rendering aid to your wounded companion…

3 Likes