Yard Work and Carrying?

So I am a relative newbie to CC but I have had my gun on me since taking my CC class back in September. In my house and yard it was on me. While driving it was in my console or glove box.

Now that I got my permit…on me unless going somewhere that I can’t CC. BTW…those are few and far between here in SC.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @Tom52 and you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

HOA fees take care of that every Wednesday, so I can carry and watch from my balcony and not worry about anything except getting another cup of joe!

5 Likes

I carry everyday. If I’m dressed, I’m carrying. Depending on my attire is how I carry. It might be OWB, IWB or Shoulder Holster. But, I carry, usually with one to two extra magazines. I live in a suburban setting with smallish yards and houses close to one another. We all see our neighbors in the front yard. I think OWB at 3:00-3:30 with a big loose T-shirt is best for yard work and I don’t notice heat. I used to do more IWB and would be less comfortable over an hour.
I have yet to try AIWB.

2 Likes

Ruger lcp in a pocket holster

2 Likes

I “try” to carry as much as possible. I live on a small acreage (15) but it is out in the middle of thousands of acres of forest and farm land. We have had multiple cougar incidents perpetrated by a minimum of 4 cougars in the last month. Livestock and pets have been killed. Could just as easily have been a child out playing. Also on 2 occasions the cougar was still there when the resident showed up. All this within a 2/3 mile radius of my place. My place is very hilly/mountainous and “rough”, meaning naturally wild. When I leave the house I am 90% of the time on my ATV. I will usually keep a firearm on the ATV. Now, with all the cougar incidents I am much more diligent about it. Not really practical for me to have the weapon on me physically when I am working, but I do usually have a weapon withing 100 feet or so.
Edit: I might also add… I dont get cell reception at home. I recently purchased a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) that I carry with me (on the ATV). Guess if I fell down a hill it wouldnt help unless it was on my person, but it is my backup security should something go badly south, quickly. I can use the PLB to get assistance where it would otherwise be impossible.

3 Likes

Always. Better to have and not need to use, than need to use and not have. stay safe. God bless.

6 Likes

I always carry when out in my yard, taking the trash out, checking mail, mowing, general yard work, walking the dog, walking my neighborhood, neighborhood get togethers, etc. the best way I have found is carrying in the Wilderness Tactical Safepacker. I have been using this carry method since around 1995.
The Safepacker secures and protects my pistol yet is fast to retrieve. Only a couple of people have ever asked me about it.
I carry on body daily when leaving home, but carry my SP for my bug (wife’s pistol) so she is armed as well,

6 Likes

Welcome to the family @George17 And you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

Welcome, George17!!

2 Likes

I used to carry only when I left my house. A couple of years ago after reading several news stories about people being robbed/shot/pistol whipped while working in their yard, and stories about people being attacked by dogs, I decided to just carry all the time which means I put my gun on when I get dressed and it stays on me until I get undressed to shower and go to bed.
I especially carry when working in my yard. I was cutting my grass a couple of years ago on my zero turn and three dogs, two of which looked like pit bulls, just walked out of the woods next to my house which is in a rural area. They were about 100 feet from me and I stopped my mower and looked at them and they looked at me for a long time and then went back into the woods. I wasn’t carrying and If they would have charged me my only hope would have been to jump in the back of my pickup which was about 30 or 40 feet from me.
I’m so used to carrying, I don’t even notice it anymore. And BTW I carry a Sig P365 OWB with an extended 12 round mag, never had an issue with heat.

3 Likes

I mounted a M243 to my lawn mower and did not have any room to mount a mortar. Should be able to launch smoke grenades’ at least! Any ideas on how to mount a grenade launcher to a John Deer lawn mower?

5 Likes

I carry my revolver with a couple of shell shot in case of pit vipers when mowing and such.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family @John789 and God bless you.

1 Like

Red Green show… PVC pipe and Duct Tape. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Jb weld

3 Likes

I’ve got a OWB holster I use when at home. I carry any time I’m out of the bed at all times. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That’s a motto from my fire Chief days

5 Likes

@Todd30 I would think the M79 would do well strapped to your back, I always wanted one. :us:
Or you could ditch the M249 and mount a Mark 19 on the John Deer. Might have to get a bigger J.D. tho. :thinking:

2 Likes

Mark 19 would work good. Ammo would be a bit expensive!

3 Likes

Yup, but ooooh the options. :us:

3 Likes