Yard Work and Carrying?

Yes, I carry a gun all day at home, every day. What’s the difference between carrying at home, compared to concealed carry when you leave home? If you believe that carrying a gun at home means you are scared and the bad guy has already won, then for the same reason don’t carry when you leave home. The fact is, bad things happen. There are lots of bad people out there. When you least expect it, they are there. Crime has no boundaries. You protect your family away from home, but you think they won’t come in your Home. I have, lighting, cameras, and good doors. As they say, locks only keep an onest person onest. If someone pulls up, that you have never seen, and you’re out working in the yard, when things go bad and suddenly your life is on the line, do you think they will wait for you to go inside and get your gun ? I believe in being prepared, I carry a few basic tools and other things in my truck in case of breakdown. A gun is just another tool. So much bad in the world today, and your home is not immune from it. If you come to my home or when I am out, you will find more trouble than you brought.

8 Likes

@Denny_Crane

This may come off harshly. That is not my intent. But are you trolling? I was an EOD tech in the military trust me I know how to secure my home.

Do you watch the YouTube channel Active Self Protection with John Correia? Do you know what the average time it takes for an active home invasion from dynamic entry and into the home? 7 seconds.

That means you have 7 seconds to react in. Maybe a bit more with better security and dogs and such.

So, yeah I carry in my home. I go to the bathroom with my gun. I shower with my gun. I do yardwork and household chores with my gun. I play video games with my gun and I even watch TV with my gun. My gun is never more than an arm reach away. EVER. Unless mandated by law.

You do you Boo-boo, but there are those of us who know criminals don’t send a polite RSVP asking if Thursday at 3:30 a.m. works for me timing wise for my home invasion.

Few weeks ago, my wife took my dog that alerts and a cat to the vet. She forgot to lock an exterior door and left an interior door open. I was asleep. I heard downstairs door open. Stuff being moved around, called wife and daughter to see if it was them. It was not.

Called 911. Grabbed my .45 and my shotgun, when I racked the shotgun, I heard retreating footsteps. I gathered my dogs and cleared my way out of the house. Time from door open to me outside armed, 911 on the way, less than a minute. I then waited 7-8 minutes for police to arrive and they cleared the rest of the house.

30 minutes later, same 3 police cars and an ambulance went by my house with lights and sirens going. 2 blocks up and one block over from my house, elderly couple were savagely beaten during a home invasion.

14 Likes

No, YOU are shaming someone for doing something that they feel they need to do to feel safe, on a self-defense forum. The action of shaming people is one of the many problems we experience in this country, and I’d prefer you keep it off of this forum. Whether you agree or not about needing to carry in the home, your comment is rude and uncalled for.

Although your phrase “The bad guys win when …” is common, it’s really "The bad guys win when INSERT_DISRUPTION_OF_COMFORT_HERE " … something like living in UNDUE fear and causing an UNREASONABLE response from a potential victim in order to stay safe. What this is, is someone taking a REASONABLE step to make sure that they have done what they WANT to do to feel safe.

Take the attitude somewhere else, please.

8 Likes

OK. I think we have piled on enough. Her comments were made and rebuttals were posted. As mentioned no need to continue to berate. I also open carry and will continue to.

Just my 2 cents.

7 Likes

I carry a Sig 229 .40 S&W at about 3:30 in a custom IWB holster I made from a slab of leather and a kydex molded retention exterior. This holster is so comfortable I have developed a routine of double checking in the morning to make sure I have holstered my Sig before I head out of the house. Depending on the shirt/T-shirt I wear it is sometimes hiked up on the gun a bit in all the bending over done working in my yard. All the neighbors are hunters and/or carriers so an occasional partial exposure, which I correct when I stand up, is not an issue.

4 Likes

The only problem with being trained in applied explosives……

Is the legal ramifications you end up in if you use any around your home as defensive measures… but it is always good knowledge for unusual circumstances.

@Denny_Crane
It is NOT fear to carry around our home. It is preparedness… and some of us are in rural areas, so while relatively safe from human intruders, if one comes along, the Sheriff’s Deputies are further away… and it is the occasional bear (though they tend to run away) or wild aggressive dogs or other critters.

6 Likes

@Kevin29

I would never use explosives around my home. However it teaches you a mindset, of looking at your home and going what are the points of weakness, how would I beef up it’s weak points.

3 Likes

I like this. Classic characteristics of defense.

• Disruption
  • Flexibility
  • Maneuver
  • Mass and Concentration
  • Depth
  • Preparation
  • Security
4 Likes

@Ouade5

Exactly, I already do that. I channel ways into my home until they all come to one set of stairs up, at the top of that is a 300lb. marble and steel island on wheels I can close stairs off with. Electrical panel is in my closet. I have 30 foot chain ladders so we can exit from home and even a “laundry chute” that goes from my room to the back door. The only door that actually works.

2 Likes

I was referring to more defensive measures, such as things to deter intruders that are located away from the house.

I always look at the house from a defensive point of view, just as I look at any store, building or location I go to for not only exits but defensive measures, and potential weak spots in the building.

Been a long time, but some things are always there when needed.

3 Likes

My ex-father-in-law was at his cottage taking a nap in front of the bay window when he was awoken by something outside. When he opened his eyes, he was staring at a 9’ Kodiak Bear pawing at the window. Let me tell you, I’ve never seen a 6’2 280 lb man move so fast. Fortunately the bear left.

5 Likes

@Kevin29

I understand. In another thread I was advised to remember ALL of my training if confronted with a mob.

I laughed and told the person telling me that I had no desire to go to prison by using ALL of my training.

5 Likes

I’m not trolling I’m stating my opinion–don’t let the bad guys get in your head in your house. I just think locks, well placed lights and other items will keep you safe in your house but you can also stage guns for the moments when you have a momentary lapse.

3 Likes

@Denny_Crane

Well consider my gun that I keep on me, my staged guns for if there is a “lapse”. I’ve seen to much in my life to trust in the good nature of all. I prefer preparedness.

7 Likes

Multiple tiers of defense. Well said. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Denny_Crane

BTW, what makes you think I don’t have alarms, locks, motion detector lights that activate cameras. I have 2
K-9 trained dogs atm (normally at daughters) I also have kick plates so door will only open so much.

I just find your idea that the criminals have won because I choose to keep a handgun with me in the house. Let’s just call it ludicrous.

Like I said you do you Boo-boo, I will do me. I choose to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible. If you feel fine without easy access to a gun on your house, that’s cool. Many others on here feel differently. I happen to be one.

Here’s the real reason I carry in the house. You got me. :innocent::eyes:

12 Likes

How do you know your firearm isn’t a Decepticon, as well?

4 Likes

Because it’s an Autobot. It’s regular shape is a black Nissan convertible and it’s alternate shape is a Glock 41. :innocent::joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::rofl::us_outlying_islands:

6 Likes

Cool be safe

3 Likes

@Denny_Crane

Thank you for the frank change of ideas.

2 Likes