Yard Work and Carrying?

Shredding grass in the fields is the only time I wear a mask.

5 Likes

@Fizbin :+1:
Yeah… because you can contract COVID-19 from coyotes, wild hogs, and raccoons.
Smart!

5 Likes

I thought he was worried about infecting them.

6 Likes

I have one of these, IWB. Great carry for a SIG P239. The leather backer seems large, but ‘disappears’ once you’ve become used to it.

5 Likes

I try to make it a special point to carry during any of those times a criminal with a brain, ( or any other thoughtful persons of ill intent ) might think a person was likely to be unarmed even if they carry. Yard work, inside the house, working on my car, in the bathroom for a shower. Not every criminal is an idiot or temporarily crazed. If i can identify times and locations that it’s REALLY easy to let it slide for a few minutes, so can they. At least that’s how i see it. It’s not paranoia, It’s having filled out my share of critical incident reports where the event was proceeded by just such a moment where precautions seemed unnecessary or not worth the trouble. Because it only takes once.

7 Likes

IWB carrying M&P Shield using a Sticky Holster when out in the yard, around the house, or in the neighborhood, often pocket carry with same holster, have a kydex(rarely use), have a leather OWB(use sometimes). IWB Sig 320 with simple kydex for quick trips, wear Crossbreed IWB holster if out longer like all day (more comfortable to wear👍). Carry concealed 99.999% of the time. I’ve carried open a few times, I find people call me “Sir” a lot, which makes me feel sort of uncomfortable.

5 Likes

This is my rifle. This is my gun.

6 Likes

Yes Ma’am, I do. And usually it is open carry. I have absolutely no compunction in allowing my neighbors to know I am always armed and should not be trifled with. My immediate neighborhood is not too bad, primarily retirement aged boomers that are not looking for any drama. But you wouldn’t have to travel far to find trouble if you were so inclined. I don’t need to make any adjustment to my carry because, if I am awake I’m armed, indoors, outdoors and on the road.

9 Likes

Welcome to the family brother David and Carry On

2 Likes

Beth can you check something for me I can’t seem to find much on this topic… just bought me and Cheryl new m and p ar’s hers is for home protection mine is for truck protection plus my Kimber what is the law in a truck with an at 15. Would appreciate any help you can give …Tim GOD BLESS OUR GREAT COUNTRY AND OUR GREAT USCCA MEMBERS

4 Likes

Because of grass and dust allergies. At least, that is why I wear a mask.

4 Likes

Texaseskimo sir…we have mice, voles, moles, gophers…they are all rodents…I even named one Hanta…do you think I can get the corona and lime virus from these little buggers? I was having a really tasty cold corona and lime last night pondering this concept…

Yes performing really dusty yard work, one need to keep cover or else a cleaning could be necessary. I haven’t tried the dishwasher approach as of yet.

4 Likes

Sig365 in Vedder Pocket Holster…covers all the metal…grip is polymer so works for me :+1:

4 Likes

I OWB carry when at home, yard work or not and yes the EDC gets dusty so cleaning it has become a weekly addition to my routine. I have a 10 acre hobby farm that requires daily work and when I get home from my 9 to 5 job, to which I can not carry on company premises, I put on my EDC.

5 Likes

Mostly, I do not carry at home. I live outside the city, and normally have some kind of firearm accessible. If I am outside, it is always concealed.

4 Likes

@_Chick Welcome to the community. Glad to have you here. :+1:

4 Likes

How u doin Chick, welcome to the family brother

3 Likes

Weather mowing or exercising, I use a belly band holster. To keep the sweat off the gun I use one of those old style fold over baggies. Just put the gun into the baggie with the flap facing your body and the flap will cover the gun past the handle while leaving it uncovered on the other side. Fold the baggie around the gun and put the gun in the belly band holster. This works great with a small auto and even better with a J frame size revolver.

4 Likes

RE: hybrid holsters

I went and got 3 OWB hybrids (OK one isn’t here yet, waiting on crossbreeds long lead time…) since I found a bunch of rust forming from my IWB hybrid with the 1911 last time I wore while sweating…

Noticed a tiny bit yesterday from OWB hybrid after moving a bunch of stuff around… will be now keeping some cleaning stuff handy (EWL2000 I think it’s called, with some patches) by my “ccw area” with my current holsters + CCW rotation…

Love PA’s friendliness towards concealed carry and guns in general, but this weather is miserable to me… I pity those in the southern states for their weather…

5 Likes

My personal threat assessment and risk level is closer to yours. I’m secure in my home and I don’t always carry even when I’m out. To each his own.

But I often carry my EDC at home just to keep it away from small, curious hands.

3 Likes