Would the Forum Benefit From a Dislike Button?

Ah, that’s their problem.

4 Likes

TL:DR🤣

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree but also affects the rest of us in that it enhances their ignorance, of which the world already has too great a balance.

1 Like

Guilty

2 Likes

It goes against the policy of the forum. We try to discourage one word answers because it doesn’t explain our position. We have the like button because we don’t have the time to explain our agreeing but want to build up the idea. If someone makes a negative comment they need it explained to them that it doesn’t build up the community. Saying you don’t agree with out an explanation is an insult.

2 Likes

Cancel Culture seems quite effective at pushing back against the things they decide to be stupid or wrong. Then the problem becomes how can dissenting voices push back against the mob rule. I’d rather deal with having all the stupidity out in the open than risk having valid points of view suppressed because some or even most people disagree.

3 Likes

Personally, I can’t see that any group or individual that is destructive, verbally or physically, as being legitimately “pushing back.” In the case of internet groups/lists, any “user” who consistently breaks the rules of the list becomes, by definition, destructive. Their continued presence and verbal abuse threatens the enjoyment and function of the groups. This is the reason such “users” should be removed. In this group, one is able to “push back” when the proposition posted is stupid, obnoxious, or false by posting a message. But, where is a “external” indicator of “good” or acceptance of the message, we create a false sense of reality when only one viewpoint is represented in that flash indicator. Thus my advocay of the dislike button. I have arrived at this position after long experience with list like this.

1 Like

@geoffbeneze How would it sit with you if instead of people giving their response to your thumbs down button was a thumbs down without any explanation. You would have no one to argue your point with. Everyone is responding to you which gives the forum meaning. With out that what is the point?

2 Likes

That’s what the flag button is for here. If you think someone is breaking the rules you hit the flag button and moderators will remove the post if they agree that the rules were broken.

I personally think a lack of likes is a pretty good indication when someone’s idea is not overly appreciated. Especially on the popular topics that generally get a lot of views and likes on the posts by people making good points.

1 Like

It would sit, thadisagreet agree with my message. This is how it works in daily life self-esteem isn’t based on the opinions of others, but it IS interesting to see the contrast between like and dislike. Those who check the dislike have no obligation to explain anything to me, nor I to them. And, as I have often stated, a like button, without the corresponding dislike skews the perception of the message. If we don’t acknowledge that there are dislikes and likes, and there is no dislike button, then the like button should also be removed.

Lord, I HATE auto-correct, particularly when there is no edit option.

The pencil next to the link and the flag at the bottom of your post is the edit.

The pencil next to the link and the flag at the bottom of your post is the edit.

Thank you. I’m new to this particular website, so I’m still in the learning curve.

The perception is in the ideas disused but good try. If I wasn’t bored I wouldn’t be discussing it. It looks like it is clearing up so I hope you can get someone else to discuss it with. I hope no one presses the dislike button.

The perception is in the ideas disused but good try. If I wasn’t bored I wouldn’t be discussing it. It looks like it is clearing up so I hope you can get someone else to discuss it with. I hope no one presses the dislike button.

Obviously, you have your opinion and I have mine - they differ - that’s how life works.

2 Likes

Also you can highlight the text you want to quote and hit quote and it will quote your message in a new window with who you are quoting.

1 Like

Here is another thread with a discussion of what we mean when we use the “like” button. That’s an interesting discussion too.

1 Like

Ah, that beats having to copy and paste like I’ve been doing.

2 Likes

1 Like

I think we should be allowed to give our own posts a :+1: :thinking::wink: :smirk_cat:

1 Like