World War II planes collide mid-air during Dallas airshow

So, so sad. Such a tragic loss.

7 Likes

Sad and tragic. I was just talking last Sunday to a friend who retired from the Air Force about Fleet Week and similar shows.

Some angles make it look like it was deliberate.
However, experts can shed some light better.

:pray:t3:

3 Likes

Yeah, it does look sort of Kamikaze like, … It’s just so, so tragic. And to be in the audience to witness it is almost as equally tragic. Some there will definitely need to seek professional help.

3 Likes

That was my first thought but after watching again it looks like the belly of the fighter was facing the bomber and it was in a very shallow turn not going straight towards it. I suspect the pilot of the P63 couldn’t see the B17 because it was in their blind spot and/or they were looking in the direction of the turn.

5 Likes

I can’t get over how quickly the fuselage separated from the wings. The people in that B-17 didn’t even have time to ---- themselves.

3 Likes

Very tragic. For the loss of life and one of the few remaining B17s as well.
I watched it several times. It looks to me like the P63 pilot lost track of the bomber in his turn. Unfortunately he hit right at the wing and engines.
Fortunately this happened over an unoccupied part of the airfield or it could have been alot worse.

5 Likes

This didn’t seem to be mechanical error, but there will come a time when these birds can no longer fly safely. Every time we lose a plane- let alone the people who maintain and operate them- that day hastens.

3 Likes