Will TSA confiscate a Tactical Pen?

There have been times I know I’m right, but I have to ask myself: do I want those fingernail clippers they’re taking from me, or do I want to get on a plane and buy a new on when I land? And since TSA regulations give broad authority to the agent on the ground, arguing with the TSA is like being a jabroni in professional wrestling: it’s already been determined that you’re going to lose.

4 Likes

@Jerzy, I was going to fully embrace the advice in your post, but then I realized it was posted on the internet. :wink:

9 Likes

I had a discussion with three different people. Not sure of their exact roles other than enjoying causing problems for an innocent traveler.

4 Likes

A friend shared a phrase with me just yesterday. It had more to do with enforcing Covid restrictions, but it still applies.

“These people,” he said, “are latent totalitarians.”

5 Likes

I have one of these I fly with. I used one when I worked collections in the 80’s and could not carry. https://smile.amazon.com/Zebra-29411-Ballpoint-Retractable-Pen/dp/B002L6RB80

3 Likes
4 Likes

True, true.

I’ve never fully understood the tactical pen phenomenon. I have a couple, but they don’t write worth anything and I’m not paying out the nose for a write in the rain or fisher space refill. Seems to me that an innocuous 2AA flashlight like a mini mag light would do 90% of what the tactical pen does and would be much less likely to get confiscated. I’ve carried a more tactical light than that through a lot of places (airports and federal buildings) without an issue.

Maybe I’m missing something. If there was a tactical pen that didn’t scream tactical and wrote as well as a Pilot G2 for a decent price, I’d be more inclined to carry one. No criticism meant to anyone who likes their tactical pen. Just my $0.02.

3 Likes

yep, my stainless pens will hold up to anything and write great
$18 for 3 of them

3 Likes

I was denied taking a tour of Shasta Dam because the dummy rent-a-cop considered my mini-maglight an electronic device.
Was definitely one of the more times I was quite p*ssed.
It was 105 deg out, and a 1/2 mile walk back to the car. Could not get back in time for the tour and they wouldn’t simply hold it for me.

3 Likes

I’ve heard so many different stories. Most of them stated that TSA lets them get on the plane with it, thinking it is just a regular ink pen. Some people tell me that they are told that the tactical pen is a weapon and they are confiscated. I guess it just depends on the person checking, that makes the ultimate decision.

3 Likes

And that is the largest problem, constantly changing rules, depending on the person.

5 Likes

Don’t we call that Anarchy?

3 Likes

I stand corrected! Unbelievable.

Closest thing I ever experienced was at the border crossing between Kenya and Uganda. They really looked my little JetBeam flashlight over. They were very curious about the CR123a batteries. (Guessing they had never seen them before?) Made me take it all apart and show them all the modes. I assume they thought it was a stun gun or something. They eventually let me through with it. Didn’t exactly know what was going on because Ugandan border agents didn’t speak real good English and I don’t speak a word of Ugandan.

3 Likes

G-10 is a high pressure composite laminate originally developed to be completely dielectric ,early on it found use in circuit boards as the breadboard. I work in the marine industry and we use it in bulk sheet good applications as a “solve all” remedy to constructing equipment and machinery foundations and ready repairs to certain high stress areas. As a ham radio operator I use it often as an insulator, it is TOUGH stuff, a hardness factor of double ouch for sure…

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @BIZ

Good to know.

1 Like