Why kids shot up schools

Anyone can type “LoL” “OMG” and fake it, many do! It is hard to suppress a face to face, eye to eye response. That’s why at work I choose to get off my Ass and go over to someone’s desk to discuss certain things. This way, I can actually see the individual and really gage how well they are doing and if they can spare the time engage me with their full attention. BTW, many times it is nothing more than a Good Morning and let’s go for a coffee or quick walk about as you seem to need a break. Let’s talk non-business to put you in a better place.

3 Likes

I think this is very important. I always hated phone interviews because I could never truly tell if the person was understanding what I was saying or how they felt about it based on words or tone of voice alone. Video chats might make up for this a little bit but I still find it very difficult to pick up on subtle cues from a screen image and staring into a camera just isn’t the same as looking directly into someone’s eyes as well as being able to see their entire body language. I also feel that people, including myself, behave differently when staring at a screen vs true face to face.

1 Like

I agree that seeing and mostly trying to focus on the good is very important. Though if you get too caught up in the pretty scenery and don’t focus on the dangers at your feet you risk walking off a cliff.

I once had an Iroquois medicine man tell me that I would have a very hard life because I see the world the way it should be and will never be satisfied with the way it is. He has been mostly right though his words have helped me to not get so caught up in how far we are from the ideal that I don’t focus my efforts on simply dealing with the messy reality that surrounds us as best as I can.

4 Likes

You are raising a smart, thinking young man. Good job Dad.

2 Likes

Seems to be a sign of our troubled times. :thinking:

1 Like

The first line of defense against school vilance is communication with the people in their lives that matter most. There is a history of students or other people putting their intentions online. Before it is done we have to look for the warning signs. I have worked in school safety for 27 years in Wisconsin. I spend a lot of time getting to know students and developing reports with them. I can see and understand the students that don’t have the attention needed from the people that should matter most in their life. Being a good role model and just listening to their point of view and explaining things from another (adult) point of view sometimes makes all the difference in a person’s life.

3 Likes

Chemical inbalance is one thing but learning from your mistakes as a young person is another issue. People sometimes make mistakes and learn from them and become better people that have learned from their mistakes. A lot of young people are sometimes misdiagnosed because it might be an emotional issue or a traumatic issue versus a chemical inbalance.

2 Likes

Each can cause the other. But meds aren’t always necessary to correct chemical imbalance. The brain is an interesting thing - it’s the one organ in the body that changes just based on how we THINK. Changes in the brain, in turn, effect the rest of the body. Quite fascinating.

In any case, unhealthy messages when we are young can form unhealthy brain chemistry and structural changes in the brain that can become permanent. Even then, we can unlearn past negative narratives and learn more positive, healthy perspectives. And with all that, brain chemistry can change.

The negative messages we are sending everyone these days unsurprisingly leads to chemical imbalance. Meds and replacement narratives can turn it around.

3 Likes

I couldn’t have said it better you are spot on. Each young person is a person unto themselves. The support systems in place help determine the outcome with everyone involved.

1 Like

The Body Keeps The Score
That is why I like EMDR so much.

1 Like

Many answers on this topic have increased my fear of the future of American gun owners. This community was designed for topics such as this one, but “reasons” greatly vary.

Narrowing down and discovering the specific reason for a person to commit any act of terror is baffling to the majority of humanity. Experts such as @Scott361 spend life long careers studying human behavior. With so much need of understanding triggers that produce a tendency of behavior resulting in the harm of others must be individually viewed. For example, each doctor’s patients are not going to produce every symptom which an illness may produce. Therefore, patients (a) may not ever trigger a desire to harm a person wherefore, patient (b) has been violent for a long period of time.

In addition, further restriction of a persons right to purchase firearms only further advances oppertunity for mass shooters.

2 Likes