Why is handgun ammo so hard to find?

Apparently you can buy ammo directly from Federal now.
https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/american-eagle/american-eagle-handgun/11-AE9AP.html

3 Likes

Looks like everyone has said about all that needs to be said. But I will admit I thought I was more prepared than I turned out to be. Now I have to spend a lot more time on online sites to pick up fill in levels for some weapons. I may have to get a 22 Mag PMR 30 however because 22mag is stil on the self at big box stores near me. No 22 LR and no 380. 45acp seems to be coming back but no 38 special or 44 mag. 223 can be a challenge at times but 5.56 can still be had in 1000 round lots on line. Guns are in short supply but that is to be expected. People may have been cautious at the Pandemic scare but the riots proved a point. The police will not always be there for you. Never thought I would have a stock of 12 Gage hollow points in rotation. I believe watching some groups drag people out of their cars and burning down buildings made people think they needed protection. Watching that guy get kicked in the face in Seattle didn’t help things either. Then to know the police in many cases were only a block or two away but not responding to calls unnerved many people. And from looking at the customers in the store it isn’t a race thing because everyone is getting weapons. Now BLM and Antifa marches have promised to head into the suburbs and rural areas?

None of these things may happen but as it was said people feel threatened. And threatened people often stock up. Some suggest large shipments may hit the stores in October before the November election. if it does look for the stores to be flooded with customers.

5 Likes

I damned well feel threatened. It’s why I have a hard cover position to fight from now in my freaking house. I fully expect the fit to hit the Shan after the election.

4 Likes

Dumbocrats!!

1 Like

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

1 Like

I just bought 1000 rds of 9mm from ammo depot had to keep watch for several days and cost a little more than I would have liked but needed to build back up my practice supply. Hopefully prices will come down after the election.

2 Likes

Isn’t 1,000 rounds per weapon the old prepper standard?

2 Likes

More like 5,000 rounds around here

5 Likes

I was more thinking the casual firearms owner, you know the one with a pistol in the drawer and maybe goes shoot once or twice a year out on uncles farm.

2 Likes

What DBrogue said.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why I bought my first ever guns/ammo, seeing people pulled from their cars. I often have my elderly parents in the car. I will not hesitate to eliminate a danger.

8 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

Hi, all! Yes, finding ammunition is very difficult these days…I reload and have reloaded my .45 ACP and .44 Magnum in the past, and have recently picked it up again. Even with bullets in these calibers, it’s difficult to find them, although I can recycle brass up to maybe twice. Primer supply, good, and powder rather abundant. Also, I recently bought a 9mm ACP, but was successful in procuring bulk ammo with a web site. My wife is shooting .40 S&W. But trying to find 9mm reloading dies is the other challenge. The same problem: bullets. Brass, I am allowed to pick up ejected brass and even sort through the brass bucket at the gun club. I have the ability to cast bullets, but practicing with lead loads can really foul up the barrel quickly. Even my firearms dealer and gun club are short on ammo. With rations. Only one box per customer. So, the other option is to learn to reload your ammo, but the components required are becoming scarce.

2 Likes

Years ago I refused to sell my brass for scrap prices and I do not reload. So I have somewhere around sixteen five gallon buckets of sorted brass. Mostly 9 - 40 - 45- and 5.56

1 Like

Welcome @Sandy2!

I recently started reloading and joined a Dillon reloading group on facebook. People were helpful in pointing others to where presses, dies, parts, etc were in stock. Also some members have parts they were willing to part with. Maybe you can join a couple of groups to find what you’re looking for. 9mm dies are hard to find so when one is available, it will cost you.

Same with components. People posting where they found stock. Try AmmoSeek. Been seeing bullet availability on there lately. Again, probably more than what you were used to paying.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you all! I did find some Sig .45 (.451 with cannelure) 200 grain hollow points on Midway. I’ve reloaded that grain previously. The ball ammo is just not out there…I have always used a taper crimper on ACP…so the cannelure is just another guideline…for .45 caliber (ACP???)

1 Like

I’ll look for it and join…perhaps Mewe may be a good option if FB puts a nix on our sharing.

1 Like

I did see that they also have a MeWe page, but you also have to belong to another group first.

1 Like

welcome to the family and you are blessed to be here.

@Sandy2 I have never seen a cannelure used for the .45 ACP. You usually find those on revolver bullets, and I would never use one in the .45 ACP. The cannelure would allow the case mouth to end up recessed, which you do not want because the cartridge head spaces on the case mouth. something does not seem right there. The case mouth must not be recessed because the cartridge could go too far into the chamber, possibly causing a serious over pressure situation when the cartridge is fired. I am quite sure those are revolver bullets, and not intended for the .45 ACP.

I am definitely not always right, but I feel strongly you should double check your data on this one.

1 Like