Why did you start carrying concealed?

WHY I CARRY A GUN (Author Unknown)

I don’t carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry.
I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don’t carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me

9 Likes

I agree with David38.
I started carrying about 15 yrs ago when my kids were much younger and my very cute daughter was starting to get attention that made me very nervous. I did a lot of soul searching before proceeding. Now the kids are gone and I’m a lot older and don’t move so good due to bad knees. My wife would completely melt in panic if attacked so carrying is my “security blanket” along with some other defense items.
I hate large crowds and rest area bathrooms.

3 Likes

I carrybecause I am not as young as I used to be, and do not have a lot of physical strength. Fortunately, the sleepy little country town that I live in does not have much crime, so I feel fairly safe here. However, when I go to a nearby large city, I carry for my safety (no wife or family.) I do enjoy my range time though, am a USCCA member, and got my CCL a little over a year ago. I now carry concealed whenever I leave home.

2 Likes

Almost 3 decades ago my wife, (an executive) began receiving death threats-I immediately got her and myself CC permits and began carrying, (the threat, as I suspected was just a coward who was trying to scare a physically small woman. I let it be known that we were both armed and that “I’d like to meet the cowardly SOB” who threatened my wife. As I expected, the threats quickly stopped, however after all these years I still carry every day, feel “undressed” otherwise. The very last thing I’d want to do is harm anyone, however I have no intention of seeing ones I love being harmed (or being victimized myself). I respect others and their rights, I ask for nothing but the same in return.

2 Likes

@Dawn, was the Citizen’s Academy you referenced run by police? The suburb of Illinois I live in (Arlington Heights) offers an 11-week Citizens Police Academy. They walk Citizen’s through the entire police enterprise - patrol, narcotics, gang, crime scene investigation, dispatch, SWAT, the court system, the range, etc). I loved every minute of it. Got to do a ride-along after. I did a shift and a half with two different officers. Gave me an even higher respect for the professionalism of our police force. Tremendous opportunity.

3 Likes

The Sutherland Springs Church shooting in Texas was what made me carry. I realized those people probably didn’t think it could happen to them. As an elder in a small church of about 100 I wanted to be able to first protect my family and me and then everyone else. Since I typically stand in the lobby anyway, as I oversee the building and want to be able address any building-related matters during the worship service, I realized too I might be one of the first people to encounter a threat. Of course if I were to protect my family at church I also wanted to have that opportunity elsewhere.

^^^ really good reason right there. Does your church have a security group and a plan? or are you it?

For now I’m it. I tried once before, but it takes people who take it seriously. Perhaps once again soon.

1 Like

I started carrying concealed at 18 years old (almost 2 years ago). My mom was going to start and I wanted to too. I was in no way ready for the responsibility I was about to take upon myself. I had no idea how much it’d cost either. It was definitely my coming of age though. It’s what changed me and made me the man I am today.
I’ve gotten my friend to start carrying but unfortunately he’d rather spend $600 on a new gun just for fun and tell me he doesn’t have time or money to go 2 hours north for a 9 hour defensive concealed handgun course. And honestly it bothers me. Now I have my girlfriend wanting to carry concealed and when she’s able to financially I’ll take her to a introduction to handguns course and start her on her journey.

2 Likes

Good man :smile: :+1:

1 Like

I never thought about carrying until a few years ago. My mom was staying the night and after 12am my dog started going off. My mom woke up and seen a man standing outside the window trying to get in. Neither of us had a firearm at this point. I ran outside with my dog and he ran off. The following morning, we both went to a local outdoor store and rented, shot and bought firearms. The guy showed back up that night…

3 Likes

That’s the scary stuff right there :grimacing:
Does your mom carry too?

1 Like

Yes ma’am- a .38 revolver. She actually got her permit right away. I just acquired mine recently.

2 Likes

Go Mom! :grin:

2 Likes

My wife and I got followed home from dinner late one night driving a “nice” car. Had to play cat and mouse on an old country road and adjoining neighborhood. We passed them and then I watched them burn a 180 in my rear view. I hit 90 heading towards local police station and eventually lost them. I didn’t even have a pocket knife on me. Not anymore…

3 Likes

That’s scary stuff right there! Glad you lost them but hate that it happened to you. I hope y’all have a great holiday!

3 Likes

My mom was followed once. She had her permit but her .38 revolver doesn’t conceal well on her person so she keeps it in her purse :grimacing: (I want to get her a better gun that she likes and can actually carry. Hopefully someday soon). She went by a friend’s of ours but pulled into a different driveway that was apparently a former deputy of the sheriff. :joy: They turned right around and took off. Thankfully.

4 Likes

My home was robbed in 2017. I’m a single mom and I never liked guns - in fact, I’ve always been afraid of them. But that day my life changed for real. I realized I had no defense. If they came back, I couldn’t protect my son or myself. I had to do something! I was also a victim of domestic violence and I think this was the last straw - I’m tired of being a “victim.” It’s empowering and sobering as well - knowing I might be put in a situation where I may have to shoot someone. I don’t take it lightly. I train with my firearm and I carry every day. Hoping and praying I never have to use it, but ready if I do.

Victim no more!

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @Donna5!

You are approaching this with the right perspective - training and accepting responsibility :+1: The training is teaching you skills you might not even realize, like instinctively knowing where the controls on your firearm are without looking or thinking about it.

You are legally (and morally) responsible for every bullet that you fire, so not taking it lightly is very important - especially with a son in the house with you. It is a lot to take in, but remember the 4 safety rules, especially being aware of what’s behind your target. In other words, you need a plan to know where your son is as bullets can go thru interior walls.

Not trying to discourage you at all, I think you have made a positive life changing decision. There is a great amount of information in this website. Just type “home” in the search function and you will find a lot of posts regarding home security and defense.

2 Likes

I’m Sorry an event like that happened to you. I’m glad you used that event to take control of your own safety.

1 Like