Why did you choose your carry gun?

Got my Walther CCP because of its ergonomics.

I was trying to find a gun for my mom, and finally tracked one down at a range in Albuquerque. it felt so good in my hands that I got one and have been carrying it ever since.

4 Likes

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-fastback-emperor-scorpion-carry.html

Ambi 1911 right out of the box in Commander size. I have been shooting 1911s since 1980. A very familiar tool. The design may be aged, it is heavier than my Glock, it only holds 8+1 rounds, but it slings sonic ashtrays reliably with great accuracy. I am unwilling to spend over $1,000 for a handgun (until I win the lottery). The fastback is easy to conceal, doesn’t snag, has easily acquired sights, and grip. The factory grips are like a rough hasp, foregrip has fine toothed stipling. and slide has fore/aft serrations. Trigger is perfect. With stainless slide and frame, maintenance is less demanding.

4 Likes

How do the ergonomics of the CCP compared with their other models like the PPQ and PPS?

2 Likes

After taking a ladies only concealed carry class at our local range, I chose the Shield .380 EZ. Made my choice with an instructor on the range that evening by firing the Smith and Wesson and a Walther 9mm. The Shield felt better in my hand, easy to fire and easier to rack the slide. I also liked the backstrap safety, as far as price the Shield was within my price range. Been shooting with it since last year and still very happy with it.

6 Likes

One of the same reasons I bought my Shield EZ .380.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Helen2!!

Did you know they just came out with a Shield 9mm EZ… I just had the chance to see it yesterday at the range!

https://www.smith-wesson.com/9ez

I found it a little front heavy, but it wasn’t loaded. Once you load the magazine it probably balances out well. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for the welcome :slight_smile: Yes I"ve been reading the reviews and am anxious to try it out, our local range said they should have it for rent sometime in January. If I do purchase it, I think it will be without the manual safety.

3 Likes

I really don’t know since I haven’t used either gun. I thought the PPQ was the same size, just without a safety and without the piston, but it turns out it’s a full sized pistol.

2 Likes

I chose the Security 9 because it was the only gun I could afford. Then I bought the XDS 4.0 9mm because it was slimmer and smaller than my Security 9. I like the Security 9 but it’s so big. I want to get a different compact one of these days but mainly for the farm than for carry. But I’ll probably carry that compact sometimes.
But my XDS is easier to conceal regardless of what clothes I’m wearing. I might get a Hellcat one of these days. I’d like to get the Hellcat one day.

4 Likes

My “regular” carry pistol is a Para Ordinance Light Double Action, single-stack in .45 ACP. It has a shorter barrel than a full-sized 1911 and has a nice trigger pull. I carry it because I only carry .45s, having shot 1911s since I was a young soldier in Vietnam. It is accurate, easy to carry in a variety of holsters…shoulder, belt and IWB (including “tuckable”) and I have all of those holsters. I like a big bullet that hits hard and stops whatever you’re shooting at with correct bullet placement (and sometimes without that).

4 Likes

Hi, I have the same problems with my hands and I made the same choice going with the 380 EZ and I have a Ruger lcr 9 revolver for backup.

4 Likes

@Dan6 the EZ is out in a 9mm now… I’m going to try to find one to shoot and see how it compares to the 380 so I know if I should suggest it to my students. Reports are that its just as easy to rack and also low recoil, so if you need a bit more stopping power, it might be a thing to check out.

2 Likes

M&P 9mm EZ is a great, nice shooter.
Slide racks amazingly super easy, as advertised.
I wish it comes double stack with regular M&P 2.0 9mm grip size.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check it out at my local gun shop. Maybe I’ll sell my 380 and get the 9.

2 Likes

I carry Glock 30 during cold weather and a G43 in warm weather. I like the .45 caliber for stopping power but need the concealabality of the 43 when dressed in summer wear.

5 Likes

I carry a CZ P07 because of the reputation that CZ has made for themselves with a high attention to Quality Control and that they are regarded as a manufacturer that makes duty grade firearms. The gun also fits my hand great, and as a guy that is 6’6" that is pretty hard to find. I wanted a reliable DA/SA and I believe that I have found it with the CZ.

Now I am in the process of getting an RMR (micro red dot sight) and getting my slide milled to accept that RMR with back up iron sights.

3 Likes
  1. Reliability
  2. Ergonomics
  3. Size and Weight concerns of handgun and holster

1+2+3 = carry-ability

A low score = won’t be carried often = bad
High score = carried often

5 Likes

I carry all of the time, unless prohibited in certain circumstances.

3 Likes

Welcome @Joseph49! Do you have a preferred carry gun? Why did you pick it?

1 Like