Why Are You Pro-Gun?

I’m pro gun for many reasons but one main one. People have the right to defend themselves.

I went to homicides where people were killed during armed robberies, burglaries gone bad, carjackings, rapes, domestic violence, killings by the violent mentally ill, etc. I began to notice a pattern. Neither I nor any other police officer was there to prevent it.

7 Likes

I think the founding fathers were very smart. very wise people. I think they got most things truly. deeply right.

I agree with this:

And this:

Some other things… Growing up I saw that my mother operated in the world as if she had very little power, and that my father operated as if he had the power to make things happen. My mother tended to work from a place of victim, my father from a place of self-possession and self-control.

I am wired for fear, it’s my biology. Once I was on my own at 15, I realized if I didn’t get control over myself I’d never be safe. And part of that was realizing I’m responsible for my own life and my own safety.

I chose my father’s view of how we fit in the world.

It’s taken a lot of work, but my life is mine. Having skills to take care of what needs doing is part of of that. Having the tools as well as the skills is part of that.

When it comes down to it, the most basic of rights is the right to life. For me, the most basic of tools are those that provide and protect that right, and that includes my guns.

5 Likes

Back in the mid 80s in the UK, I enjoyed the sport of shooting. This included handguns, rifles and shotguns.

The right to enjoy this sport was removed in the late 90s, thanks to the ‘outraged’ public wanting to feel safe (we had two incidents of 'depressed gun owners going on a killing spree, and a number of incidents involving armed criminals).

Now I’m living in the USA, I can enjoy shooting again, and I am glad there are organisations who represent shooters interests (something we didn’t have in the UK).

4 Likes

Firearm free zones don’t work, by the time Police gets their to late, it firearms are banned the bad Guy are Girl will still have them. You could write a whole book about this and I don’t have time.

3 Likes

I am not pro gun I am pro The Constitution of The United States of America and The Bill of Rights

4 Likes

This is actually an exceptional question. “Why am I pro gun?”

For me personally it is about the science and the mechanical’s of how the bloody thing works that is most fascinating to me. Where the he!! did John Browning come up with the idea of the 1911, the 1919 machine gun, the BAR or the M2 machine gun. How did a 1950’s AR-15 design become the iconic “assault rifle” of today let alone the drawings of a tank mechanic in Russia in the 1940’s laying wounded in a hospital that gave birth to the AK-47?

I like guns, I like the engineering of them and the simplicity of them. I also like motors and am a huge fan of the 60’s and 70’s muscle car era. Beyond the actual gun itself is what can now be done with the ammunition. In 1985 when I started in guns, if you had a 1 MOA competition rifle you were head and shoulders above the crowd. Today a 1 MOA rifle is entry level in any type of rifle.

On an intellectual front I believe the framers had it correct in that a government that would restrict your right to self defense or self sustainment was something to be derided.

"A well regulated militia (which in current vernacular means “a well equipped citizenship” )
being necessary to the security of a free State (to prevent a over reaching government to subjugate the citizens),
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms (of the current technological advancement),
shall not be infringed (that doesn’t need translation)

On a personal level, having served this nation for 24 years and having been to some of the most egregious hell holes this planet has to offer I have personally seen what the lack of the ability to defend yourself against either a government or a “tribe” or “political party” does, I want no part of that in MY America.

I swore an oath to which I gave the U.S. Gov’t a blank check to fill out for all debt’s up to and including my life to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America. Last time I checked that oath has not been revoked or relieved.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

That change occurred in 1939, under the FFA (Federal Firearms Act), that banned felons from obtaining or possessing firearms. Black powder arms and bows are not covered under this act, nor knives, or any other implement, just firearms. Non-violent felons can petition the court to get back their voting and firearms rights.

Oddly, felons do not obey this law either. Yet anti-rights politicians - I call them that, since in order to infringe on the 2A, they write laws that infringe on many other of our inalienable rights - tell us that passing more laws that infringe on our rights will prevent these criminals from obtaining firearms. Proof of these politicians deceit is in the fact these laws are proven not to work. And recently one anti-rights Governor, Northam (D_VA), even stated his proposed laws would not have stopped the mass-killer under which guise (to prevent mass-killings) he proposed his legislation.

Our rights have been under constant attack since before the ink dried on our Constitution and our Bill of Rights. We all need to be active, and if you are not, you need to be. Join rights groups (yes, more than one), become active, if you are not. Vote, at least once, and twice or three times if you are dead. Contact your legislators - yes even those that you know will not uphold their oaths, make your voice heard - it not only matters, it can make a difference. They need to know they have constituents that do not believe in infringement on our inalienable rights. Some will even listen to your point of view. We might not be able to change their view, but they will know that you know what they are doing is wrong and against their oath. One can always hope that they have some honor somewhere in their minds or souls (if one believes in having souls).

In Virginia, the VCDL has gotten things done, even when both houses were controlled by anti-rights politicians. I belong to several rights groups, I am active, I make my self heard, and I vote.

4 Likes

I did not own a firearm until about a year and half ago. At the tender age of 7 our neighbor and her son were murdered in broad day light by someone who them murdered his wife before turning the gun on himself. For some this would make them anti gun and for a time I was. But then I realized what so many gun control advocates fail to and that is that the gun is not bad, the person holding that gun is.
About a year and half ago I started working for a company where I eventually became licensed to carry. Now not only do I carry a firearm for work I also conceal carry. I conceal carry to protect my family and myself. Someone said in an earlier post that when seconds matter the police are minutes away. I can attest to that from the age of 7. Nothing prevented that man from killing my neighbors and a good guy with a gun may not have either but at least they might have had a chance. That is why I carry.

3 Likes

"The presence of firearms anywhere and everywhere restricts evil interference and should be Honored with all that is good. " George Washington. That is better than I could have said it. Without private ownership we would end up without Rights!

7 Likes

To put it another way, if you took everyone who has been a victim of a violent crime over the last decade and you armed and trained them prior to that crime, how many still end up victims. Next, go back through the history of humankind, how many tyrants and dictators have been successful at taking armed populace as opposed to unarmed populaces.

3 Likes

Growing up I learned how to protect myself, started with Boxing then advanced into other Martial Arts but
what really made me became Pro-2A was the LA Riots; especially, when the Koran business owners were armed with AR15’s to protect their businesses from being burned to the ground, they took it upon theirselves to protect their property. I lived and worked in LA when this took place. Shortly after that I bought my first firearm to protect my family. Self Defense is our God given right, it’s stated several times in the Bible, here’s one;
Exodus 22:2-3 “If a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him, but if the sun has risen on him, there shall be bloodguilt for him. He shall surely pay. If he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.”
This Old Testament law shows that we can defend ourselves in our own home and using force under such circumstances is just and fair. Even if they steal something and have nothing with which to repay, the thief who broke and entered must pay for the crime be being sold for whatever he sold but with the understanding that he or she’s not to be s slave forever but only until the amount stolen is covered. This is a law about restitution for the victims of thievery.

3 Likes

They are trying to empty the prisons claiming we’re violating the rights of felons by keeping them locked up while at the same time want to strip the law abiding of their rights.

Someone explain the “logic” in that please.

4 Likes

Excellent quote find.

2 Likes

:point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up:
That’s the truth. Make more laws to criminalize legal activity and release about 1/2 the current prison population.
I don’t see that ending well!

5 Likes

I honestly don’t get what people are thinking. How do they not see what the results will be? Hurts my head trying to figure it out.

4 Likes

I think this sums it up for me. “Other authors felt the rattlesnake was a good example of America’s virtues. They argued that it is unique to America; individually its rattles produce no sound, but united they can be heard by all; and while it does not attack unless provoked, it is deadly to step upon one.” http://www.usflag.org/history/gadsden.html![Gadsden|690x470](upload://eKz0Hx4A8qdCQ0T3S42WBkp4t4a.jpeg)

4 Likes

Yep, exactly. And if you need an alternative, this will do as well:

3 Likes

You’re talking about a couple of generations of people now with no concept of consequences and absolute blind faith in gov’t being educated and led by sixties and seventies hippies.

3 Likes

just popping in to let y’all know i’m still alive, just less active (working on a short film actually, started college, all that adult stuff). i love that this thread has gotten so many people thinking and talking and sharing their opinions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The 2nd Amendment states it is my duty as an American citizen that I should bear arms to fight a potentially tyrannical government from taking away any of our Bill of Rights.
And, I get to meet great like-minded enthusiasts that are responsible gun owners. I also enjoy occasionally “flipping” anti-gun owners to pro-gun, or at least neutral-gun. Just invite them to a range, rent a .22 handgun, and let them shoot at round targets or ballons. Or I tell them to print something they want to shoot. I do NOT recommend targets that are the shape of people. That will not help at all. Pay for the whole thing (range time, gun rental, ammo, targets, etc.). It’s great to see them smile when they finally “get it”. This is EXACTLY how I was introduced to something I was afraid of in my mid-twenties. Someone willing to educate me, invest in me ($), praise my success… and made it fun at the same time.
[Note to the DOJ: I lost all my guns in a very tragic boat accident recently]

4 Likes