Who remembers their first time shooting at an indoor range?

@Patrick3, you are SO on! :smiley:

Never Had, it’s always been outside.

4-H shooting NRA small bore at 50’ at West Texas State University my Sophomore year. Came in first out of 287 shooters with a score of 298. Got beat at state 3 years in a row by the same girl.

I was shooting my granddad’s old rabbit and squirrel gun a Western Auto stamped Mossberg bolt action with a 10 round detachable magazine. She was shooting a custom target gun her dad had built and beat me by 2pts twice and one point the other time.

I got three dates out of it though so all in all worthwhile.

I ended up in the Army, she ended up in the Olympics. HA!

1 Like

I prefer the edge of the range as well. One thing to keep in mind if you’re shooting at an indoor range, try to not be on the very end if you’re shooting the big calibers. The noise bounces off the cement walls and makes it a lot louder when you’re closer to the wall.

3 Likes

The indoor range I use most has really great sound absorption. I was what use to be Gander Mountain in their indoor range with I got all the looks and stares and yes, the sound did bounce a bit.:crazy_face:

2 Likes

In-Laws & Outlaws Gun Range, LLC on June 4, 2019. Before that I done all my shooting outdoors.

1 Like

Wow, that would be about 35 years ago. I had no idea what I was doing but started learning fast. Shooting a Colt 380 Government model!

2 Likes

My first time shooting and my first time indoors was at Admiral Farragut Academy for summer camp in oh mebby 75-76’Don’t remember the gun but every time we had down time I would hit the range if the “Old Chief” was there. He’d point me to “My” rifle and hand me a box of 50 and run the target out to 25 yds. I would happily hammer five holes into each of the 10 targets. I found those targets a couple 10 years ago, man I sucked :flushed::rofl:

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

But you started shooting and I’m betting your shots are better now, @Craig6!

1 Like

Never been to an indoor range. I like shooting outdoors but, man, those motorized target clotheslines would be sweet!

1 Like

@Dawn A few years ago I got schooled by my bud’s daughter @ 25 yds with small bore. In my defense she did win State Small Bore Champion, she was an absolute ROCK in positional shooting. At that time I was shooting long range precision with high performance platforms I figured 6-8" groups at a mile would translate, she smoked me.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

The WTSU ROTC small bore range in Canyon Texas circa 1976, NRA and 4-H 50’ competition. Shot 287 and qualified for the state tourney.

We shot sitting, kneeling and standing unsupported with 13lbs target rifles. Ours were on loan from the Army or Nat’l Guard, I don’t really remember which. Every day for practice we just ran upstairs to the office, grabbed them and carried them and the ammo out, then put them up ourselves without causing even a single mass evacuation. HA

1 Like

My first time at the range was about 15 years ago. Went and shot my .22 long rifle every weekend. The somewhat scary part is they never ID’d me and I was 16. But having a beard that young throws people off. I dislike indoor ranges, I prefer to just shoot on my land.

2 Likes

My first time shooting at a range (not counting my father teaching me with a BB gun) was at an armory for ROTC students on my University campus. They had a club that non-military could join and shoot the .22 single shot rifles. It was a young woman who was in charge of watching over me and teaching me the range rules/policies and rifle operation. That was over 20 years ago.

I can’t really suggest tips. However, later on, when I started bringing friends that were unfamiliar with firearms to other ranges I would always go over safe handling and operation, and range policy and etiquette beforehand, and tried my best to be patient, available, and have good communication with them at the range. I would only bring one at a time if they were newcomers. I WILL say that I scrapped my inexpensive hearing protection for a high noise canceling set and never looked back.

I have noticed a couple of those friends would flinch at the sound of shooting from just walking to their lane (indoor range). I think that being with a calm friend and having time to get used to that new situation/experience helped reduce their uneasiness with the concussions. I do feel a little guilty when I bring the 44 mag to the indoor range and the clerk puts me next to the wall, increasing the effect… especially if other shooters are bringing newcomers.

2 Likes

Seymour Johnson AFB around 1980. Probably sucked in enough airborne lead dust to…well I dont want to think about it.

2 Likes

My first time indoor range experience was 3 years ago. PTSD made it really hard but I pushed through it. The people next to us couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn at 2 paces. Scary.

For many years all my shooting was outdoors. The first time I touched off a round out of my hot rod .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk in an indoor range I almost dove for cover!!! It’s been a few moons since and I’m still not a big fan of indoor ranges :rofl:

I think in 60 years I have only shot at an inside range once. That was part of an OR CCW class I took. I really didnt think anything different of it other than I was not going to be cold or wet. I did like the targets you could shoot while moving towards you. I would say it was a good experience, and would do it anytime. Just have so many free places to shoot close by I have never heeded to go. I will say, I have shot in weather a few times where I wish I had been in an indoor range.

The old Herb Bauer’s indoor range inside an old brewery turned sporting goods store.
I shot a Colt Police Positive Special.
It was conveniently close to town, but the air stank to high heaven.
i think there were ten or twelve firing points at maybe 75 feet
I often had the place to myself unless I went with friends.
You could exchange spent brass for pretty good reloaded ammo
This was in the early 1970’s and I was a college student.

With classes Cindy and I see people stepping into a range for the first time ever a few times a week. Many are so nervous we have established a rule that all first time shooters must load their magazines first while in the range (rather have them drop a magazine then a pistol when the 44 mag goes off 3 stalls down). just go slow don’t be afraid to ask for so help and get used to the noise level before gun handling.
Be safe,
Bill

1 Like