Which of your handguns is your favorite?

Smart. The more different ones you try, the more confusion. DeSantis makes great holsters!

1 Like

I think Walther is often under rated.

Although I have owned many handguns in the past; I am not a pistolero. I shoot shotguns for fun on a weekly basis (60 years) but handgun shooting has always been quite boring for me.

Maybe I need to engage in some of the drills that are specified by USCCA videos to improve my concentration, but it is difficult to do many of those in a public range.

I have a question for the knowledgeable and experienced shooters about using NOVX ammo for EDC. I currently (past 2 years) use it alternately stacked with Hornady Critical Defense. Any thoughts by those that know?

2 Likes

LIke Lu-Can I love all of them. But generally the one I have in my hand.

Jeff Cooper said a handgun is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you should have brought. Rifles are hard to conceal in general though.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, Michael! What do you like about your Glock 30?

2 Likes

What about the Staccato makes it your favorite now, Anthony?

1 Like

At the range I also work at we have been seeing a lot of the Novx ammo showing up. It is fairly new to the market but people do seem to like it. Have you had a chance to practice with it to see how it preforms in your carry gun? From what I have seen and experienced with that ammo is that it can be more of a pronounced snap when it comes to the recoil. This is due to the higher velocity that it is designed to function at. It has a lighter weight bullet that is made to go very fast and create hydrostatic shock as the round keeps the same shape through this entire process.

Comparing it to Hornady’s Critical Duty which is more of a traditionally design and a hollow point that will have less pronounced snappiness. That is something to consider when alternating different ammunition in your magazine. To explain that a bit more it will be harder to have a consistent recoil impulse. That would be a good thing to practice and try out to see what you think of it.

2 Likes

The 2011 platform has combined the best of both worlds for me. The tolerances and precision craftsmanship of a custom 1911 with the lightweight carry comfort of a polymer pistol.

5 Likes

Yes, I have shot some on a semi regular basis and noted the recoil pulse was definitely stronger than for more traditional ammo. Funny, NOVX claims it should be less due to the light weight of the bullet, but they can make any claim they want. We know better-don’t we?

As for the difference in recoil sensation with the two types of ammo; I don’t know if that will be a major factor for me. I mean, God forbid I ever have to actually shoot at someone to protect my life or my family; I don’t think in that adrenaline saturated environment it will matter any. I may be wrong but hope I never have to prove my theory VS yours.

Final question pertains to the potential for legal issues with the use of the NOVX. Will the use of such “exotic” ammo be a potential problem in the event a shooting incident goes to trial?

Thank you for an informative response. Bill Eddleman

3 Likes

My Sig P365 is my favorite, and it’s my EDC. It fits nicely in my front pocket and my hand, and I love the number of rounds that it holds for its size. I also love the 12 and 15 round magazine options.

3 Likes

Do I understand that you are putting 2 brands of ammo in your carry magazines? Criminals, gangbangers and thugs do that, If you ever have contact with a government agent (police, etc.) they might not show you respect. Not a sermon, just a thought.

3 Likes

I hope the pistol goes in a holster before it goes in your pocket.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Terry114 , glad you could join us.

3 Likes

@Mike270 , this is so true. I had forgotten about this since I stopped mixing ammo in my early teens.

2 Likes

Of course. I had hoped that it went without saying. :blush:

3 Likes

Never thought of it in that manner.

3 Likes

I’m not totally sure what my favorite is. However, I can say that the last time I thought to myself “I think this is my favorite handgun,” I was holding a S&W Model 27-3 with the 5" barrel and target grips. It’s actually a 50th anniversary model, not that the writing on one side is anything to be desired. I like shooting it (target fashion, not combat), and I can shoot it rather well, relatively speaking. Looks like this one:

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path[1%2F2%2F0%2F3%2F9%2F12039336]%2Csizedata[850x600]&call=url[file%3Aproduct.chain]

I don’t shoot heavy loads out of that one, mostly 38 special target hand loads.

2 Likes

My favorite is my Glock 26 with a TLR light/laser and I use a Glock 19 magazine which is 15 rounds and a XGrip to take up the space caused by the longer mag.
I like the 26 because it’s the same size as the Glock 43 just a hair wider and carries 9 more rounds than the 43.

1 Like

The only one I have so far is my Ruger LC9, so it’s my favorite, but by no means my dream pistol. It works well for CC and I gave it a new trigger. I got the wife a walther P22 to get her started, but she has no desire so I guess I have that too, ha

2 Likes

I’ve gotten the wife a few guns that way. Seeing as she doesn’t want the .22’s I got her, I’m figuring her out to be more a .50bmg girl.:grin:

3 Likes