Which of your handguns is your favorite?

@Jerzy, @George98 come on guys have some sympathy, I thought that was a great explanation.:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Actually I do have a lot of sympathy… I really like the second video - it is very good lesson for student shooters. I’ve been watching and using that video for over last 2 years…

4 Likes

Ok when I get done laughing I realize the explanation was “I forgot what holster I was using”.

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

What part of “Don’t put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire” did he not understand? He didn’t even briefly skim over that HUGE rule of thumb from firearms 101

2 Likes

It was not this… His finger slipped into the trigger guard.
This is a common mistake, shooters make with SERPA holsters.

2 Likes

Don’t own one and thanks to your explanation I never will. Thank you @Jerzy !

4 Likes

If you listen closely to the alibi piece he in effect says “I forgot which holster I was using”.

He has a Through & Through GSW to show for his error! He was very lucky.

2 Likes

I’m not 100% buying his explanation. Look at his posture and demeanor before he draws. Maybe I’m being overly critical, but it’s like he’s acting out some dumb role playing scene for the camera. Watch his right hand swinging back and forth as he pretends to gaze off to the right:

“Lah dee dah, I’m just looking off in the distance, minding my own business. Oh, a bad guy! Take that!”

And what the heck is he doing standing three inches from the target? I think that as much as anything, setting up a cramped condition, contributed to his negligent discharge.

3 Likes

He was practicing self defense scenario during direct contact with threat.
His left hand went behind his ear and elbow in front of head - typical move to protect the head from striking.
He did nothing wrong beside pulling the trigger while drawing. And that was mistake, not wrong technique.

4 Likes

You don’t think he was mugging for the camera? Even just a little?

3 Likes

Nope. I’m practicing this move as well. Like I mentioned - this is one of the methods to protect yourself from very close distance threat.

3 Likes

A 2021-09-17 21-17-37

Warrior Poet Society YT Channel: “Retention Shooting | Private Class with Craig Douglas”

4 Likes

Thank you for that, @Jerzy. I hadn’t heard of retention shooting before. Seems a good skill to practice, and now I understand why he was so close to the target.

Watching the training lesson video, I don’t see John Lovell feigning nonchalance before drawing, however, and that’s the part where I think the self-shooter may have distracted himself from the drill and his draw.

3 Likes