Which handgun to buy?

Something I found invaluable when I first started pistol shooting was to pick up a .22 for training. As the OP has decided on the G19, I would suggest picking up a G44 also. Same size and dimensions as the G19 so you can use the same holsters. Cheaper ammunition means you can spend more time at the range working on the fundamentals of grip, stance, trigger pull, sight alignment/picture, etc.

9 Likes

Since you’re getting a Glock 19, consider a DA revolver.
Really.
Ducks, runs for cover

3 Likes

Uhhhh.

2 Likes

DA revolvers have a lot going for them, especially for new hand gunners. Besides the OP is already committed to the Glock.

2 Likes

They have a lot going for them. But one really big thing going against them, that being capacity. Most in the price and commonality/affordability range of a Glock hold 5-6 rounds which…there is a reason basically no professional agencies (relatively speaking) have used revolvers in some time.

They also tend to take even more/dedicated training to become proficient with due to the trigger length/weight compared to virtually all other options + they often don’t have the best sights.

They do have the advantage that things like the so called “limp wrist”, failures to eject, failures to extract, “stove pipe”, slide bite, slide obstruction causing malfunction, etc, aren’t really things for a loaded DAO revolver emptying its cylinder.

Now if your name is Jerry and/or you’re a S&W competitor…all bets are off lol

6 Likes

How many times have you heard of LEOs expending 30 or 40 rounds in a gunfight without connecting?
When you run out of ammo with a Glock, you do the exact same thing you’d do with a Chief’s Special. Reload.

If limited capacity is an issue, then training for accuracy and quick reloads become all the more critical.

2 Likes

When you run out of ammo with a Glock 19, you’ve fired more rounds than 3 Chief’s specials hold, though

4 Likes

True, but a miss is still a miss.
Statistically gunfights are over very quickly.
It is entirely possible to run out of time before you runout of ammo.
Besides the OP is getting a Glock so will have a generous magazine… This is for the other handgun, right?
A DA revolver with a trigger job, btw, is an incredible experience.
Shoot a 40 year old Official Police or Model 10 and compare that to a striker fired semiauto.

2 Likes

Ah yes, it has been a few days. Forgot about the other besides the G19.

Me, I’d recommend a G26. Same controls/UI, probably fits most if not all of the same holsters, the 19 mags will work in it, pretty much all of the same other advantages + even easier to conceal. Or for even more concealable but give up some other compatibility stuff, a G43X.

I really like consistency and redundancy. Might even make it two G19s, myself.

6 Likes

A lot of good advice here. I would only add the following.

Rather than renting a gun, check around with your friends and see if they have any handguns you can shoot for free. Or join a range and starting hanging out there. Bring your own ammo, get to know some people and see if you can shoot their guns.

When I got my Glock 19, I met a buddy at the range, brought my own ammo, and shot two of his Glocks to see which one I wanted. I’ve done the same kind of things for several friends.

I would be willing to let a complete stranger shoot my guns with factory ammo they purchased if I could get comfortable with them not dropping my gun or shooting someone with them. I think most gun guys would give you the opportunity to first build rapport then shoot their guns.

Most of the guys on this forum are instructors-that is, they are willing to share their knowledge with anyone willing to learn. Most of us would probably find a way to drive across town and meet a new shooter to give him a few pointers. If you can find a USCCA member in your area, that would be golden.

3 Likes

The main plus for a revolver is it wont go out of battery if you jam it into an attacker. Fired at full contact puts a lot hot gas and burning powder into the wound. I am old and slow so I frequently carry an LCR 38 loaded with 148 grain wadcutters. More likely an attacker would be on me or very close. Back up is +P on a strip.

3 Likes

Like this one?

Not too fun on range day but certainly effective when needed.

4 Likes

Try the 148 grain wad cutter loads. Very controllable and good self defense track record. I also have the LCR 22lr which I practice with from 0 to 7 yards.

3 Likes

So, which one turned out to be the right one for you? As for the right gun, I think I’m still trying to figure that one out, too! I was only intending to buy just one! The right one. I don’t know how all these other ones showed up, nor where this box of holsters came from.

5 Likes

I actually went with full custom rigs. I hate buying things and not knowing if I can use them for their intended purpose or not.

3 Likes

These are some of the custom things he did for me. The big briefcàse looking one is for an AR-15

7 Likes

@Zavier_D
That guy does pretty nice work. :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

I currently carry a Tauras G3. It’s a 9mm, with 2 17 magazines. It fits the hand very well. It is 1 of the mire comfortable pistols i have had in a while.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Shawn94 and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind welcome. It’s a true pleasure to be around so many like minded individuals

3 Likes