Which AR is the best?

On the side charging handle the forward assist is unnecessary? Because I’ve used it on a AR with a rear charging handle.

The forward assist is unnecessary on the ar platform. Eugene Stoner did not have it in his original design. It was insisted on by the US military. Stoner believed (and I agree) that if the forward assist is needed there is a problem causing the out of battery that should be addressed rather than forcing the bolt closed possibly causing more, and possibly severe problems

S.P.O.R.T.S.
Slap,
Pull,
Observe,
Release,
Tap (forward assist),
Squeeze

I guess you can call it S.P.O.R.S. :crazy_face:

The history, and development of the AR-15 platform is rather interesting. Small arms solutions did a rather good two part video series on it.

1 Like

Ehh, I’ve used it, and like the option. Mostly when I was in the Army, when you’re on patrol in a sandstorm it can help. But it’s just as easy to eject the round and let a new one slam home.

1 Like

20190313_153245

@Dawn here’s the AR now that the upper came in!

3 Likes

IMG_2714

This was during the build process. The front site was placed there just for alignment for the photo

1 Like

I think everyone on the community needs a field trip somewhere warm with an awesome outdoor range so we can all try each other’s firearms! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Let me or @Kelly know!

2 Likes

Yes! Field trip!

2 Likes

We just got done shooting the AR. That rain that just came through couldn’t dampen the fun! It felt nice to roll up the hoodie sleeves today at the range!

1 Like

I heard the weather in Wisconsin was awesome today! I was inside most of the day and missed the really nice stuff. Hopefully that’s not the last we see of warmth for a while!

3 Likes

What little I saw of it was quite nice.

2 Likes

Are you in WI too, Thad?

1 Like

Sounds like a great idea!!!

1 Like

Yes, I’m a bit further south west of @Dawn

2 Likes

There are several great companies to buy from. Bcm, FN, Daniel defense, Rainier arms, are just a few. I’d go through their lineup to start out. Personally I budgeted about 1,200- 1,500 for a good solid professional grade ar when I bought them.

1 Like

For the money there is no better big box AR than the M&P Sport 2. Yes it’s basic, yes it’s stripped down. But you cannot kill it, it goes bang 100% of the time, and it’s crazy accurate. I bought mine when they 1st came out and have purchased and built other AR’s since. I have punished this rifle. I went 2 years and thousands of rounds without cleaning it because I figured for $600 how long could it last anyway!? I was a little unhappy when I cleaned it about a month ago. What a mess!!! The only things I’ve upgraded on it are the BCG, trigger, and stock and only because I had extra parts from my other builds. In fact, it’s the only AR I own that my kids argue over who will own it after I pass. If you want a budget AR that will last forever buy one. Upgrade it as you want to over time (trigger 1st). You will not be disappointed.

2 Likes

Juneau Rod & Gun Club!!! Enough room for everyone. 50, 100 & 300 yard rifle range, and 2 pistol ranges.

How are your machining skills? How secret do you want it to be to keep your AR from being known or for someone (Big Brother) to know you have one? If you’re not worried about that, search the internet. You get what you pay for. Check out prices then you’ll know the price range to look for. As for a name brand, well, if it’s “Mil Spec” then it doesn’t really matter because they have a specification they have to abide by. Mil SPec arms are the easiest to put together. If you want something fancy then you’re talking about how pretty (appealing to you) and how much you want to spend. I just got into the AR scene…and now the Mayor of Pittsburgh wants to take it away from me…from the entire city too!..and I bought a Palmetto Armory AR just to learn about them and what the big deal was. I’ll build my next one, but I’ve gained lots of insight to these arms. They go together like an erector set…sorry, my age is showing with that lol…they go together like a Lego block set. Just about any vendor will give you a square talk on what you want.