Where to clean?

We recently moved/downsized, and I’m trying to figure out where to clean my guns without “flashing” the neighborhood? I was always taught you need really good ventilation given the chemicals in use. The old place had a big porch where I could work outside rain or shine without being observed. In the new neighborhood, houses are literally connected to each other. I tried to set up in the garage, but if I open the garage door for ventilation, my neighbors get a pretty good view of what I’m doing.

Am I over-estimating the ventilation I need? What do other people in apartments/townhomes do?

4 Likes

Good question. I’m waiting to hear more opinions here.

So far I clean guns in my home with open window to bring some fresh air.
I use “non toxic” solvents and lubricants plus vinyl gloves… hopefully it’s enough … but who knows…

I don’t make my cleaning procedure public, even my neighbors are OK with firearms. You never know who is watching… FIRST RULE: “trust no one”.

6 Likes

No, with most solvents you really do need good ventilation.

I seriously doubt your neighbors are going to be able to figure out what you’re doing in the garage unless they come on in and say hi so I wouldn’t be overly concerned about it.

If you’re worried, just back the cars out far enough to use as a “sight block” if it makes you feel more comfortable.

6 Likes

At home, on the porch. Where I stay in MI… yeah outside or garage is not really an option. So its windows open, run the fan for a good across the room window-to-window breeze.

5 Likes

Thanks, @Zee, @WildRose, and @Jerzees – I appreciate your quick, helpful replies. Looks like the garage it is, and I like the idea of using the car as a buffer.
Thanks again!

2 Likes

I put a towel on the kitchen counter, kitchen table, or coffee table and clean on that. I open the windows and/or turn on a fan. I don’t think I give it the proper thought that I should…

3 Likes

@Brian1 some nasty stuff comes out of guns… I try to never clean where I eat. If I have to clean someplace I wouldn’t normally, say a hotel room if I’m traveling for training, I have a heavy rubbery kind of shower curtain I put down, then my cleaning mat on that.
I also have a metal magnetic tray in my cleaning kit so I don’t have to worry about parts going anywhere but where I put them.

6 Likes

Yeap… Kitchen is not a good idea …:point_up:

3 Likes

I assume you’re talking about the overhead door. Just raise it a couple feet, and turn on a fan to circulate the air. You should be fine.

4 Likes

@Jerzees – what kind of “non-toxic” solvents and lubricants do you use? All the solvents I know of are acetone based and from what I know, that’s the big problem. I don’t use so much lubricant so I worry less about that.

Thanks again for the advice!

1 Like

@CascadiaNow - most of cleaners used these days are non-toxic, biodegradable and eco-friendly.
In my case:
Ballistol - eco-friendly, skin safe, no carcinogens, does not contain any ingredients which may be harmful for warm-blooded organisms, reptiles or aquatic organisms (however it does contain mineral oil)

M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner - odorless, nonflammable, non-toxic and biodegradable, environment-friendly.

Even these are “green” I recommend using gloves and ventilated areas… It’s better breathe with fresh air than any “green”, “non-toxic” stuff :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks, @Jerzees. So many of my habits and knowledge were formed in the military 30+ years ago, and a lot seems to have changed since then…

Learning more all the time. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

2 Likes

@CascadiaNow - these days I care more about my brain being exposed to cell phones radiation than fumes in my lungs during gun cleaning :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I live in an apartment, and I clean my guns in the second bedroom. I use ballistol, so ventilation isn’t important. I also do gunsmithing, to include milling out gun parts, and spraying aluma Hyde II, although with those I’ll wear a respirator, and while painting, the window will be open with a fan blowing as an exhaust. That room is also used for reloading, locksmith work, including key cutting, and computer repairs… It’s half office, half workshop, and is kept extremely clean, organized, and has no odors. You’d be surprised at what you can do without a garage or outside space available.

3 Likes

I have a back patio for cleaning, but my reload table is in the garage. I open the door a little less than halfway when I’m working my press. Halfway blocks the view from outside while letting in light and fresh air. If there’s a side window, opening that also will give you better airflow.

2 Likes

Thanks, @John77 and @Dave1 – good advice, both!

1 Like

Use frog lube and frog clp both are non toxic and are safe and effective in cleaning and lube.

1 Like

You can clean indoors without scaring the neighborhood

1 Like

Frog lube lube and clp are very safe and smells minty. Won’t hurt a fly. And is an amazing cleaner and lubricant.

1 Like

Thanks, @Peter — I’ll look it up.

1 Like