When the FBI comes to visit does your passion

When the FBI comes to visit,or local law enforcement( toy drives, missing people,late night neighborhood excitement etc). Does your passion and hobby, make you look like a terrorist or suspect? What does your domicile convey to those who do not know you,even though you would not normally expect them in your home.

Does your hobby,make you look like a person of interest.
Do you know what is looked for when officers are doing a general investigation? (Are you putting yourself on someone’s radar even though you are a responsible citizen??

What do you do?

1 Like

I knew I was letting the house go the past year or so as my housemate was living her last. But you’re right, I need to take the cleaning supplies and mess off the kitchen table. … and ya, clean the rest of the house too.

The RE Factor targets I hung next to my TV? That I’ll have to think about, they’re darn complex and I haven’t spend enough time working the courses of fire to have them memorized yet.

1 Like

I was in court Thursday morning and, as always, showed my LEOSA credentials to the deputies working the magnetometers, said good morning and buzzed as i walked through. I went up to the courtroom and discussed my case with the prosecutor and got things arranged for when my client an the judge came in to court. As I and several other attorneys were waiting, another deputy walked up to me and asked “Are you packing?” My response was “Yes sir, always.” I got a nod and a smile and he walked away. I’m not sure what lead him to ask the question but I assume I must have printed through my sport coat as I leaned over to talk to another attorney sitting inside the jury box.
Generally the beauty of concealed carry is no one knows you are carrying. My home does not yell gun owner to anyone who enters but people who know me well know that if I do not have a gun on me one is not far away.
And I guess if I were to have had a conversation with the deputy who asked me, I know enough to not carry if I am going to be entering an area where inmates are secured. The courtroom is one thing, holding cells are another.

I understand the points,there is another point here to,and that is judgement is in the eye of the visitor. I was in a home recently with some bureau and local Leo’s. The home owner had gone through a number of bureau and agency trainings and had the awards/certifications framed in a hall way,with other items pictures etc.

As we left it was interesting to me how some officers thought this was fine, other officers asked questions directly questioning the home owners character (terrorism etc).

The home owner was,has been and to my knowledge is nothing more than a law abiding patriotic American.

I spoke with some friends of the homeowner,and they expressed the homeowners sincere love of helping others,and how they had been an anchor for the area.( When people had some local issue,not rising to a police need, but only if capped or nipped in the bud-) this home owner had answers and helped people.

I then spoke to some other folks and they expressed the sentiment, that who visits you and there attitudes has a lot to do with if you get into situations.

Back to my friends, some in the bureau thought why does he have so much knowledge,or capabilities,some local guys thought it was fine(the home owner is on several local police committees).

Others had to explain what was seen in the house (hobby stuff- reloading gear etc)

This was all started from a friendly visit,no violations of law,just a community member having people in their home they felt comfortable with.

But the analysis and assessment after the fact,indicates a disturbing set of possibilities (maybe?)

Being responsible is what we do,it can be a double edged sword in court,

Hiding what we do is not good either,no one has the right to make our rights disappear (from fear or constitutional abuse)

The point becomes what you consider norm and ok,may or may not be viewed that way- when visitors come.

Have we assessed what we do,especially with all of the new possibilities for harming legal gun owners-.

A argument with a neighbor- could produce a red flag law issue

A child’s friend visiting- could produce a complaint

The issue isn’t winning or losing,but the headache and can we make sure we do not create unnecessary issues while feeling comfortable in our own skin??

1 Like

@Dr_Richard my bigger fear is less what law enforcement thinks than what an uninformed guest or neighbor might think. Law enforcement is always thinking reasonable suspicion or probable cause with respect to taking any kind of action. The misinformed old man next door or single mom across the street are the ones more likely to report perfectly legal behavior and red flag a completely innocent person because of the witnesses inherent fear of what they do not know or understand. Like anyone with a scary black AR15 must be dangerous, after all why else would they have these “weapons of war” and have taken the time to become so proficient in killing another human being. And they must have the desire to harm someone because they have boxes of ammunition in their basement and so many high capacity clips!

2 Likes

I live in a bunker in rural Missouri… you can’t even SEE my house but it’s still yelling gun owner :wink:

Because, bunker. And also, Missouri. :woman_shrugging:

My truck is another thing… since I teach, I do sticker my truck… USCCA in the rear window.
But … dually… rural Missouri… right.
They’d know anyway.

3 Likes