When our laws work

Sort of… :roll_eyes:
The Associated Press
The Associated Press
](https://apnews.com/)

Follow

Woman sentenced in straw purchase of gun used to kill Illinois officer and wound another

33m

URBANA, Ill. (AP) — A woman has been sentenced to 8 1/2 years in prison after taking part in the straw purchase of a handgun that was used to kill one central Illinois police officer and wound another during a shootout.

Regina Lewis, 28, of Normal, Illinois, engaged in a conspiracy to buy and transfer a firearm and a conspiracy to engage in misleading conduct, the United States Attorney’s Office for the Central District of Illinois said Tuesday in a release.

Lewis was sentenced Friday. She previously admitted to conspiring with Ashantae Corruthers and Darion Lafayette to buy the gun in 2020 at an Indianapolis gun store for Lafayette, Lewis’ cousin, who was a convicted felon and could not legally buy a firearm.

Corruthers falsely certified on a form for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that she bought the gun for herself. She later reported to Indianapolis police in 2021 that the gun had been stolen.

Lafayette fatally shot Officer Christopher Oberheim and wounded Officer Jeffrey Creel on May 19, 2021, after they responded to a report of a domestic disturbance at an apartment complex in Champaign.

Lafayette was also fatally shot.

Corruthers of Indianapolis pleaded guilty in June to conspiracy to defraud the government by buying and transferring the gun to Lafayette and covering up the transaction by falsely reporting its theft. Her sentencing is scheduled for Feb. 12, 2024.

7 Likes

Probably she missed this on the gun store’s wall… :kissing_smiling_eyes:

A 2023-12-26 13-00-05

9 Likes

The word THINK wasn’t in her vocabulary.

10 Likes

… on the other hand … perhaps she was just trying to exercise her Constitutional Rights? Damn… this gun control thing makes people confused… :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

Agree the woman is guilty of aiding and abetting the crime by knowingly providing a firearm to a known felon who was not allowed to poses firearms. But in this case as it seems to be in most cases the law did not stop a criminal from easily getting their hands on a firearm. So I am not sure that the law forcing everyone to fill out a form made any difference to the victims in this case.

I’m all for putting criminals behind bars but am more and more against making law abiding citizens have to jump through more and more hoops and give up more rights thanks to laws that do little or nothing to keep firearms out of the hands of actual criminals.

9 Likes

Much of the time, if you respond to a thread before me, you kind of make my input irrelevant by already submitting my response. lol

5 Likes

Indeed. Unfortunately, our society will always trade the rights of the law abiding for the illusion of security. That’s what “gun control” is all about, isn’t it?

7 Likes

I need more information. If Corruthers lied on the Form 4473, intending to give the weapon to Lafayette, how does Lewis fit in the picture? Is she the criminal mastermind behind this scheme?

1 Like

@Stuart_Bradley “Conspiracy” is whatever the feds want it to be… :thinking:

Illinois woman sentenced for buying gun used to kill police officer (msn.com)

“On Nov. 17, Corruthers falsely certified she was buying the firearm, when she was buying it for Lafayette. Lewis admitted that she conspired to cover up the illegal purchases by having Corruthers report the gun stolen to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department on April 26, 2021”.

4 Likes

It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly purchase, or conspire to purchase, any firearm in or otherwise affecting interstate or foreign commerce for, on behalf of, or at the request or demand of any other person, knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such other person
[…]
intends to sell or otherwise dispose of the firearm to a person described in paragraph (1) or (2).

In simple words - if you know and do nothing you are guilty as well

4 Likes

can’t read well! ??? :pleading_face: :woozy_face: :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Like I said, I want more information. I don’t defend the gun purchase, but I also caught a wiff of prosectutorial over-each.

2 Likes

Then look it up for yourself and let us know what you find. :slightly_smiling_face:
Inquiring minds want to know. :thinking:

5 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

It was a very clear instance of a “straw purchase”. Please elucidate how you came to your conclusion of “prosectutorial over-reach”.

1 Like

Yes, it was a straw purchase. I am interested in the second female pleading guilty to the conspiracy charge.

This article from ATF indicates the straw purchase was made under her direction.

No Todd, I just don’t take the government statements at face value.

But hey, thanks for the veiled insult.

1 Like

Todd30

BeanCounter

2d

can’t read well! ??? :pleading_face: :woozy_face: :crazy_face:

@Todd30 Wasn’t referring to you, he was answering @BeanCounter. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

She, Lewis, and Lafayette, got Corruthers to illegally purchase the firearm. I don’t understand where the problem with her being prosecuted is - she was involved in the crime.

1 Like

I’m a little confused in that my idea of a straw purchase is person A wants a gun, person B buys the gun for person A and gives it to person A.

I am seeing, 4? different names involved in this. There can only be one straw purchaser right, as only one person claims to be the actual buyer on the 4473? How does everybody fit into this?

1 Like