When holstering your handgun do you look/glance at the holster?

Nope. Overthinking makes more harm than good. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Could you please provide an example from your real-life combat, law enforcement or perhaps a real-life self defense experience on the matter?

Shooting yourself during holstering procedure? Cannot provide any examples, because Iā€™m looking at my firearm during that procedure and never been even close to neglected discharge.
I can provide dozens of examples (unfortunately these are not documented, but Iā€™ve been witnessing this all the time), when students are trying to recover pistol searching for the holster with the muzzle. :zipper_mouth_face:

Military and / or LE experience has nothing to do with self defense. Different holsters, different approach to recover firearm to the holster.
First and biggest difference - in self defense situations we never put the firearm into the holster when we are not sure if threat is over.
In combat action pistol goes in and out frequently, sometimes you need two free hands, still looking for threat /enemy.
These are completely different things.
Apples and oranges.

2 Likes

Exactly. Good points on mil/LE. Iā€™ll also add, consider how frequently a LEO may need to holster their pistol, while still facing a suspect/threat, in order to go to a lower level of force and/or approach to go hands on. Private citizens arenā€™t going hands on, donā€™t need to holster to approach the suspectā€¦much different situation regarding the need to watch the threat.

Also, generally LE that is going to do that is carrying in an all kydex OWB holster that is much farther away from clothing than an IWB, is stronger than many IWB holsters (depending of course), and as a little bit of a bonus, a gun in an LE patrol OWB holster probably doesnā€™t point at the carrier the way an IWB does, let alone and AIWB.

For those of you who are members, who watch the training and education in the protector academy, you will come across the recommendation that you look the gun into the holster every time, BTW.

4 Likes

When I answered this, I answered it like I do most posts. Short and to the point, but then another post was asked on here about transition zones and I decided I would explain a bit more.

When I am in a transition zone my head is up and my eyes are scanning, such as when I am getting in and out of car, so I want to holster without looking away from my coverage zones.

Before I leave home I unload my carry gun and get an extra gun out of my safe, just in case, and I will do 50 or so practice draws just to make sure my stroke feels the same and everything moves right. After, I reload my carry gun, put the pistol I had taken out of my safe, put it back in, and set about my day.

Back to transition zones if I am stopped at a light. I carry in a magnetic holster, in the car only. If I am stopped in some way I make sure I leave enough room so I can still drive away, Even if I have to jump a curb or run a red light. In my car I am in that hair thin difference between deep orange and red and my gun is probably in my hand, especially if I am stoppedā€¦

I am not advocating anyone to do things the way I do. You havenā€™t lived my life I havenā€™t lived yours.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you practice defensive driving. Too many people let themselves get boxed in.

Looking is always good when holstering your firearm. We should consider what type of firearm you are holstering. Striker fire hell yes- hammer fire well yes and no- thumb on the back of the hammer for double action single action with a decocker. 1911 thumb in front of the hammer.

If you have a striker fire pistol with a safety thumb on holding safety switch upā€¦

We need to have that conversation also

2 Likes

I still feel that, if there is no threat to my life, Iā€™ll look it into my holster. And one has no business putting their handgun back into their holster if a threat exists.

1 Like

Myles from Tactical Hyve posted very interesting video about reholstering your handgun.
I like his idea of ā€œtouching the holsterā€ to force the muzzle to be pointed away from the body.

3 Likes

Video has some good things to think about. I prefer to do ā€œtouching the holsterā€ quite a bit differently.

He taps the side of the slide against the side of the holster while pointing the muzzle sideways to where he eventually wants it to go ā€” then breaks contact and pokes the muzzle straight down into the holster mouth. I noticed that about 5:07 he looks at the ā€œtapā€, and is then willing to break contact and make the ā€œpokeā€ without watching gun or holster.

I prefer to tap the bottom of the muzzle against the open mouth of the holster while pointing the muzzle downrange (i.e. safe direction) in line with where I eventually want it to go ā€” then without breaking contact roll the muzzle forward and down into the holster. A limitation is that this probably gets awkward or impossible behind the hip. Either method will fail with some holster types.

Another thing I noticed is that he seems to have a habit (seen about 1:10, 2:44, and 4:09) of stepping his strong foot a half-step forward as the pistol is holstered. Maybe this is a good habit if he typically carries behind the hip. Carrying in front of the hip, I take the same half-step back while holstering ā€” keeps my foot and front of leg farther out of the way, and the slight pivot makes it easier to keep the muzzle oriented downrange (i.e. safe direction) through the entire process.

2 Likes

Good observation @techs . :ok_hand:t4:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly it. I step strong foot slightly forward, generally, when holstering for at the hip or behind the hip carry. Wouldnā€™t be the same for AIWB

2 Likes

For AIWB - hips go forward.

Thereā€™s so many small things that has to be considered to make reholstering safe and perfect.

1 Like

I read that. I see people do it. Iā€™ve tried it. Donā€™t quite see what it gets me that is not more easily and effectively provided by moving my strong-side foot out of the way. YMMV.

Maybe with a body shape or holster configuration that wants to point the holstered muzzle toward oneā€™s undercarriage? Iā€™ve managed to get back to where I can see my belt if I look down ā€” so thatā€™s kind of a speculative thing. Certainly, working from a seated position requires special attention if oneā€™s version of ā€œappendixā€ points at or between the legs (12:00 to 13:30hr) instead of along side (13:30 to 14:30hr).

But standing up, Iā€™m not getting it. The AIWB Limbo just sticks my business out ā€” if Iā€™m muzzled when standing upright, Iā€™m muzzled when I Elvis. (I guess it does move my feet out of the way, by making my stance less stable.)

2 Likes

AIWB carrying is different for everybody and depends a lot on body shape.
In my case moving my hips forward helps me to reholster the pistol safely. I do this automatically.
Once the pistol is in hostler, I donā€™t care if itā€™s pointing at my leg or between. It is in the holster, isnā€™t it? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You didnā€™t answer the question. Do you look at the holster while you reholster?

Yes, I did answer the question 125 posts earlier. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Missed it Cowby.

1 Like

Appreciate the points. Know someone who when pocket holstering without a thumb safety, does not use a pocket holster. Trying to convince them to use a pocket holster.

As with any re-holstering, Iā€™m realizing finger discipline also. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Masad Ayoob teaches thumb on back of slide for a striker fired pistol as well. The reason is the potential for the gun to get caught in a tight holster just enough to take the gun out of battery. It may not come back into battery when you draw it.

2 Likes