When Gunmen Meet

WHEN GUN MEN MEET by Horace Kephart* Sept 1,1922,

starts on the 9th page of the pdf

If you don’t share my penchant for old time things you may not find this hundred years old article as entertaining as did I.

• Horace Sowers Kephart (September 8, 1862 – April 2, 1931) was an American travel writer and librarian, best known as the author of Our Southern Highlanders about his life in the Great Smoky Mountains of western North Carolina and the classic outdoors guide Camping and Woodcraft.
6 Likes

Nice articles, all I can say is wow! I had to look up some definitions of some words, such as pugilism, etc. “trigger as slick as soap” I’ll use this quote for my p226sao legion …Great story, great article!! Thanks for sharing!!! Great verbiage!!!

5 Likes

What a great read! While the language is styled like huck fin, some things haven’t changed a bit: a big 45 is still better than a 38 for “stoppin’ a man”, slow bullets don’t expand well, and revolvers don’t leave evidence behind. I raised this point some time ago here, about fingerprints on shells left behind. I’m clearly not the first one to consider it. I feel vindicated, hahaha.

I didn’t know they even had hollow points then. Thought it was all ball ammo.

4 Likes

I didn’t either.

4 Likes

Great articles. They remind me of my grandpa’s library. Thank you, sir.

1 Like

I know the thread is old, but here is some basic info on the development of ammo. The hollow point was invented about 1890 by the British.

Another point to know from that article, “An international treaty shortly after, in which nations declared the “Laws of War,” included a section outlawing use of expanding bullets in warfare. The history of ammo shows the United States never signed/ratified that section.”

1 Like

Interesting short article. Thanks. I am especially looking forward to the self guided .40s, so I don’t have to waste time aiming anymore :wink:

Also, found the posit that fmj bullets are potentially more desirable in warfare situations, because they require additional combatants to assist the wounded, thereby taking them off the offensive.

This is wonderful! Love the add at the beginning from Franklin Arsnel:

$55.61 for a box of 1200 rounds or $2.78 for a bandoleer with 70 rounds.

I would like 1000 cases please!