What's your EDC knife?

You’re my favorite kind of guy. Lol.

3 Likes

Now… I just have to stay married!! Tougher than you think. I cant woo her with knives or guns. Gotta be a ring or necklace every now and then… that kinda slows the buys I want… but what do you do?

4 Likes

Another thing I would look into as well for the people that are interested in different knives is the type of grinds, a hollow grind knife can be sharpened enough to slice smoke, a flat grind (Scandinavian or scandi grind) can take more abuse.

Handle or scale materials is a good thing to look into as well. If a knife has wood scales that haven’t been stabilized, they will crack and break. Stabilized wood is expensive, but pretty and durable (heres another cost point), G10 and micarta are generally a tactical color, and are durable, and aluminum is decent too.

2 Likes

I think your comment is dead on and not shaming anyone. Buy what you can afford and know it’s limitations. If you can’t afford a $100 knife, cheaper knife is better than nothing.

Are you one to abide by the 2 is 1, 1 is none philosphy?

4 Likes

With my testing that I do to the knives I just carry one. Unless I’m in the woods, then I carry one extra in my pack. Or on my belt. I do carry 2 guns from time to time.

Yeah, I never want to make anyone feel bad because of their cash flow. I’ve needed a helping hand before. I get it for sure. If I was in a knife on a budget position, I would seriously get the Milwaukee or DeWalt folding box cutter. I might just get one anyways.

But, if you can afford a good knife, buy a good knife. Once you’ve used one, you never want anything else. They fit in the hand nicely, and maintain an edge.

5 Likes

Knifecenter.com is a good place to start knife shopping. A very good small fixed blade is the Mora Eldris. I like Mora. They are the perfect price for abusing and they can usually take a lot. I also like Condor, TOPS and Bark River. Barkies are expensive though, but they are backed by a 100% no questions asked warranty, plus they are made here in the U.P.! Their factory is in Escanaba, twice a year they host a grind in, for a couple hundred bucks you get to come in and make your own knife over 2 days with their help. And they’re a great bunch of folks, being Yoopers and all :grin:

5 Likes

Yeah they use good steel too. I suppose you carry a fixed EDC knife?

2 Likes

Depends on where I’m going honestly. I keep a fixed blade in my get home bag, but I’ve seen people verbally accosted for carrying a belt knife, fixed or folding. I would rather go unnoticed personally, so usually i just keep my leatherman and my folder on my person. If I’m headed to the woods then i will take both my TOPS Tahoma Field Knife and Mora Bushcraft black, both are fixed blades and both can handle different tasks that i might need to do. Why two? One is a large knife and one is smaller, the smaller knife (Mora) has a scandi grind which i like for carving.

3 Likes

I like Morakniv knives. I have one in each one of our “Camping” / “Go” bags. You cant beat the price!

4 Likes

Browning Model 0203 Black Label Tactical, never leave home without it! Opener%201

5 Likes

Can’t tell which brand you’re talking about. Maybe I’m just being dumb… sorry!

2 Likes

I use a Spyderco Para 3 as my EDC. It’s a good size for me, very useful. I hate being without a knife, have them “staged” all over my house and find them very useful for all kinds of things.

4 Likes

I actually have 2 knives that I go back and forth with, the first being the Kershaw Cryo, whcih I love the heft of the knife and the durability. The second being my Kershaw USCCA knife which is a little larger and lighter. Both keep a great edge and are not so expensive that when I forget to take them out of my pocket at the Airport it’s not the end of the world cost wise.

3 Likes

most often I carry the one at 9 o’clock and at least on Sunday. After dark the one at 6 because it doesn’t reflect light and is thumb assist. The one at 12 is the most robust and cuts through rope better than the rest. The other ones are just how I feel at the time.

4 Likes

NNew poster here folks. I like this thread and decided to jump in cause my blade is something near and dear to my heart.
That being said my EDC is a Benchmade Infidel
3300. I’ve carried this one everywhere I’ve gone since 2015. I cannot say enough good things about it. Absolutely no issues. Just don’t try to sharpen it myself. I go to a surgical sharpening service for that. As you can see the finish is getting a little worn so I’ll be sending it back to Benchmade for a little sprucing up. (You gotta love BM’s actual lifetime warranty) I’ll be be carrying one of my BM side folders while it’s gone back for a little manufacturer’s lovin’. Yeah it IS an expensive piece, but I know I can depend on it.

3 Likes

I carry a small buck folder or a $30 Kabar utility folder for EDC.
I’ve thought about eventually getting a karambit but figured I’d approach that once I can get my hand to hand training dealt with.
And I’ve thought about getting a Gerber strongarm fixed blade knife but it’s a $60 knife. So I think I’m gonna wait to buy any more knives (and probably guns) until I’m better trained in my hand to hand. (Probably a little tangent but still applicable haha)

2 Likes

@Robert5 very nice pic of your knives! Gives me a good sense of where you’re coming from. @RayFord, I understand the angst of losing an expensive knife at the airport just because of forgetting it’s in your pocket. Ouch! It truly bites! @luke_ouellette, your knives are nice for EDC and shouldn’t need a more expensive carry. I just happen to love the expensive ones because they are so sharp and because they look so sharp, too! The fine ones keep their edge really nicely, too. I try really hard to remember when I intend to go to the airport so I don’t lose my valuable blade, but I have gotten caught a couple of times. It’s a big pain! Wish we could just mail them to ourselves or something, but once they nab you, your knife is toast!

2 Likes

Well while my knives are good for EDC they’re really only good for utility purposes because they’re folders. That’s why I mentioned a karambit or fixed blade because those are good for defense. I apologise for my lack of clarity in my statement.

2 Likes

@Nancy
I used to do a lot of hospital visits and was even a Chaplain at a hospital in our community.
When I would get a call for a local hospital after dark most of the time you have to enter through the emergency room doors. I had no problems at my local hospital but that wasn’t always the case at a county hospital or one in another city.

You get used to having a pocket knife to the point you forget it is there. Sometimes if I was the only one there the guard at the metal scanner would cut me some slack and give my knife back to me when I would exit the hospital.

Sometimes however when there was a line of people going in I would lose a really nice knife. I even lost a really nice imported knife with a cigar cutting hole in it. I lost a A.G. Russell at a county hospital while visiting a young man that was stabbed in a robbery.

Today my only custom knives are fixed blades that would never be going with me to the hospital.

But then where I live you cannot carry even with a ccw so it is the most undressed times I experience. Now that I retired it doesn’t happen often.

2 Likes

@nancy, I used to travel weekly by commercial airline about fifty weeks a year. Yes, that’s full time. I came up with a pretty good solution to help me in the event I forgot to disarm myself prior to the security check. What I did was get a small padded mailer envelope, and put my home address as the destination. Then I put like $5 worth of postage on the mailer. I carried it in my laptop bag. It saved me losing a couple of very nice folders on more than one occasion. When I realized that I had forgotten to put my knives in my checked baggage, I simply dropped my unapproved knife in the mailer and dropped it into a mailbox in the terminal. Thank goodness there always seemed to be one nearby, although one time I had to request a TSA officer to mail it for me. He was apparently a decent sort, as my knife showed up two days later. It also pays to be honest with people and to just tell them the truth about any situation. The officer seemed to sympathize with my situation and commented that he had seen other travelers give up some expensive blades, and/or ones with a lot of sympathetic value. In any event, he helped me out. I don’t travel anymore, which I’m very happy about. After fifteen years of braving the friendly skies every week, I took my medical retirement gladly. Just thought I’d share my little burst of inspiration concerning ways to prevent losing what most people consider a very personal item.
Be safe out there.

5 Likes