What would you do: Your apartment door is open when you get home

@Dawn Another no cost measure is availble if you have an Ehco or Dot. There is a home monitoring skill that will send you a text if either Alexa hears breaking glass or a smoke detector going off. When I leave I just say “Alexa I am leaving now”. She will say goodbye and confirm that she is now guarding my apartment. A text is immediately send to my phone that she is guarding it. And the Ehco and Dots also have a visual light that the “system” is armed. If there is breaking glass or a smoke detector going off I will immediately get a text message. When I get home I say “Alexa I am home” and she verbally confirms she has stopped guarding the place and I also receive an immediate text that the system has been deactivated.
I wish Alexa could also detect loud noises, like an intruder kicking in the door, but that is not available (yet). So… if you have Alexa around your house this is just a freebie that may help in leau of a paid alarm system.

4 Likes

DANG! I didn’t know that! A quick search: https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/14/18622968/alexa-guard-amazon-echo-security-how-to-get

3 Likes

@TexasEskimo, @Dawn .
That’s pretty good cheap “alarm” system :slightly_smiling_face:
Easy to setup… 3 clicks and voilà:
alexaguard

Already tested :+1:
Thx @TexasEskimo :fist_right::fist_left:

3 Likes

Back out, be at the ready, toss in the cold orange smoke grenades I carry with me and close the door and call the police…

If the person is armed, the smoke can disorient and give me the upper hand, door closed contains the smoke to just my place…

At a moment’s notice, I can activate my blower systems and evacuate all air/smoke out of my residence quickly for entrance by authorities if need be (creates a low pressure area in residence).

Recording already taken care if with multiple cameras recording with designated storage cards and remote DVR inside and out.

2 Likes

@Jerzy How did you test the glass breaking? I just have to know. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

@TexasEskimo, just after GUARD setup I wanted to test it… and guess what… none of my Smoke / CO detectors did work :dizzy_face:
I played “glass break sound” from YouTube on my phone to test it. Worked as promised :muscle:

3 Likes

Draw my weapon while retreating to safety and call 911.
I have no idea who is in the apartment (assuming it’s my apartment) or how many there are or if they’re armed too. Safe bet is to take cover, watch the front door and wait for the police since my life is not in immediate danger.

1 Like

Yeah… alexa… she creeps out. I do NOT want my phone, computer, house, or the MIB listening to me all the time.

@TexasEskimo when I was in college my not-yet-husband’s landlady had a no-late-visitors rule. We totally got busted because she’d draped a thread from door strike plate around the doorknob … and it wasn’t there in the morning. THAT creeped me out too, but I’ve never forgotten the technique.

2 Likes

But you’re also giving “Alexa”, or whomever, the right to listen to everything and anything that happens within its range, 24/7/365. It’s all recorded and stored and can be used against you. Can anyone say “red flag law”?
I am not fond of electronic control/security devices. If I can do something electronically, then someone else can hack it

1 Like

@David38
I gave up few years ago… We lost the fight against electronics and there’s no privacy anymore.
Your smartphone does exactly the same what Alexa, but in silent mode.
None of cellphone manufacturers advertise this… “Our phones are the best, they can listen you even at the shower”…:grin:
So right now I don’t care… Just learned another lesson: think before you speak, even to yourself…

2 Likes

If you need 100% privacy… go off the grid. Myself, I don’t say or do any illegal. So I am not so concerned. I am actually quite boring. Most likey anything recorded that has me doing or saying anything would probably help in court.

FB_IMG_1564633050745

4 Likes

Same here, that would be creepy as hell and makes it entirely too easy for your entire home to be “hacked”. Not anything I’ll be investing in.

2 Likes

In some States if someone else came along you could be arrested for banasing a firearm

1 Like

That occurred in Fort Worth, not Houston.

1 Like

You bring up a good point Jody. If you are in a “duty to retreat” state trying to hold a suspect at gun point, even in your home or otherwise on your property can certainly unnecessarily put you at risk of facing charges yourself.