What would you do: Your apartment door is open when you get home

@Dawn
Yeah, you are right.
It seemed easy to me, because I did not add “extremely tired and distracted” factor to it.
Looks I was tired reading this thread… :thinking::pensive:

However “get out, call 911” still applies.

2 Likes

It is sad that this happened we all make bad mistakes but unfortunately a life was taken and another’s destroyed for life. I would remove myself from the area to a safe place have my hand on my firearm and dial 911 . . You won’t see it on the drive by media but Fox showed the brother on the stand saying we all make mistakes and forgives her and said he didn’t feel like she should go to prison. He asked the judge if he could give her a hug and she let him. I don’t let much bother me but it brought tears seeing a person that lost there brother hold this young women and cry with her. This 18 yr old in my book has more class than most adults have.

7 Likes

Unless I have a concern about a family member possibly being inside I’m taking the same action.

Back out, take a good covered/concealed position if possible and watch the door while on the phone with 911.

With the verdict coming out in the Amber Guyger case this week it’s a timely topic.

3 Likes

In the real world coming home in that condition you might not even realize aything is amiss until you’re already well inside and confronting the “home invader”.

Guyger’s first mistake was walking into the wrong apartment, he second mistake was acting like a cop instead of a possible victim of a home invasion.

She should have backed out immediately and awaited backup, had she done so she’d most likely have realized it wasn’t her apartment and the whole tragedy could have been avoided.

4 Likes

Id let my malinois in first, then my cane courso

1 Like

I didn’t see that at all, @Ted. That is a very mature 18 year old.

I did a quick search, here is a video of it and some editorial from ABC as well.

I will be sharing the actions of this young man with my children who are of similar ages. They need to see as many examples of good human beings as they can amidst today’s tumultuous world.

3 Likes

I would be pre-warned before I or my wife arrive. My security system calls me and the police simultaneously. Police tracking time is 3 to 5 minutes. The police already have my permission to enter but I guess ask our friend MikeBKY
I don’t think they need permission to enter if they suspect “foul play” if they already know nobody is said to be home.
My doors, windows, sliding glass door, all wired.

What happens depends a lot on what the police find when they arrive at a scene. If there is a call and the owner is outside, they will go in, usually with guns drawn, to clear the house. If it is an alarm and no one is outside when police arrive, they will usually check all of the doors and windows for signs of forced entry and will knock to see if someone answers. If the property is secure, and the call came from an alarm company and it was not a distress alarm, they will wait for the homeowner to return if not too long a wait and if not they will likely leave. If there was a distress call, then they are likely to try a 911 callback first and if there is no answer, they may breakdown a door. They can also call the homeowner and ask what they would like the police to do, keeping in mind that the vast majority of alarms are false. My alarm went off one night and it took some time to figure out what happened but we figured out that there was a small spider walking up the inside of the lens of the motion sensor. It made the thing look like Godzilla to the sensor but was about the size of a flea.
As far as what the police can do legally, if they believe there is a danger of serious injury or death, destruction of evidence or escape of a suspect, they can enter based upon exigent circumstances without permission.

2 Likes

Sadly the “Freedom From Religion” foundation is trying to get the judge disbarred for giving Guyger a bible and hugging her.

Pretty damned disgusting.

3 Likes

Better than the reply I was working up.

Exigent circumstances, if they can articulate that they had exigent circumstances and probable cause they can go ahead and enter.

If a door or window looked as though it had been forced or left open they can meet that bar pretty easily.

1 Like

@TexasEskimo sounds about right to me. I think maybe cover might be further away than around a hallway corner. Spot-on about self-defense, not stuff-defense.

indeed :slightly_frowning_face:

it’s a consideration I hadn’t thought of as it’s been a veeery long time since I lived in an apartment. Pretty much only one of my bunker, so there’s no mistaking someone else’s place for it. I’ll keep it in mind for teaching though.

3 Likes

This country was based on love and respect for God. That 18 year old was raised by very good parents and he knows that if he wants God to forgive him for his wrongs he also must forgive. Being a Christian has nothing to do with religion. It’s to live and follow in Jesus ‘s footsteps. For him being that young and forgiving her is ultimate unconditional love.

6 Likes

Good answer

2 Likes

I WOULD IMMEDIATELY EXIT THE APARTMENT AND WHEN IN A SAFE LOCATION I WOULD DIAL 911.strong text

1 Like

Good point. Faith and Religiosity are not synonymous.

I am a man of great faith but not particularly a fan of organized religion.

1 Like

Back out slowly, call 911 and explain the situation, describe myself and stand 5-6 ft. from the side of the door with my pistol drawn in case the silhouette comes out ready to do bodily harm.

2 Likes

Like the other comments here make sure that it is your apartment, back out and call 911. Sorry but this needs to be said. If it was a Black make officer killing a young educated White women in her own apartment you can bet he would have got more than ten years.

3 Likes

Does anyone else do this when they leave their apartment? The world’s cheapest intruder alert.

UPDATE: it’s just a toothpick placed vertically on the bottom of an outside door on the opposite side of the door handle. 99.9% of people will not notice it is there if they walk by or break in. I keep the toothpick under my doormat when not in use. So if you come home and your toothpick is laying down, there may be a chance someone opened your door. I learned this in agency training. 100% accurate? No. But better than nothing.

3 Likes

“Training forum “I assume the the lesson is not learned.

2 Likes

I’ve seen things like that before, @TexasEskimo. Apartment managers have to give advanced notice of entering your apartment, but I’ve had some in the past who weren’t great about that notice. :confused:

5 Likes