What would you do: Student T-shirt issues

When I was in high school, we had many rules regarding attire. We certainly were not allowed to wear clothing showing support of guns, but we also were not allowed to wear any clothing that referenced music or bands, because the teachers didn’t want to have to differentiate between “controversial” and “acceptable” bands.

Personally, I feel that students should be allowed to wear whatever their parents deem acceptable. I understand the 1A and 2A rights of Americans, but these rights aren’t generally bestowed upon the individual until society deems them an adult and worthy of such rights. Until allowed to vote, they are subjected to additional restrictions by adults in positions of authority.

Having said this, however, I would beg to question whether “Pride” clothing is acceptable, or political clothing is allowed (for example, any campaign shirt, or something about immigration or women’s rights). If any of these are acceptable to the staff, there is a strong case for a lawsuit based on discrimination and political bias that these institutions are not supposed to have.

I hope this helps the debate!

*I should note, I went to a Lutheran high school in rural Wisconsin, so I can’t speak to direct experience with public schools, but my wife, and the majority of my friends all attended public school and have expressed similar experiences.

3 Likes

Seriously? I can’t even describe how incredibly jealous I am right now.
I’m in my 30’s, and still can’t grow a decent beard.
Also, having a range at/in school would have been pretty great… haha!

Well I’m not very sure if I can add anything to today’s hot topic or not because I graduated such a long time ago but here goes. Sometimes that which is old becomes new. I went to catholic school run by Jesuit priests and brothers. I took a couple punches and a few hits by the heavy rope they wear as a belt by the priest and brothers a few times. It’s heavy so they can crack a kid (not really but seems like that) I don’t know if they can hit students anymore or not. I was in high school 1964-1967 graduation 1967.
I was in an all boys school, the only acceptable clothing was a sport neutral sports jacket and long sleeve White only shirt in cold weather and short sleeve White shirt after winter was over. The important part is next; now 50+ years since graduation the school allows Polo shirts as the uniform shirts and khaki pants in school color and now the school has become coeducational so the polo shirts have got the school name on the chest like you see for different companies and sports organizations so it’s just polo shirts now solid color polo shirts with it in the school color and khaki pants is the uniform now and nothing else is acceptable for both girls and boys. So if you think you have any rights, no students have no rights.

2 Likes

I went to high school in the mid to late 60s. It was a large school in a mostly rural area serving three townships. I drove to school most of the time and would take my shotgun or rifle to school in my car during hunting season so I could go hunting on the drive home if I so desired. And, I was not the only one to do so. There was never a problem with guns at our school, perhaps because so many students were armed. Times do change.

3 Likes

Same here Robert8, except mine was 12 years parochial Catholic school run by the Sisters of Mercy for grade school and Brothers of the Sacred Heart For High School. Didn’t have to worry bout any of the problems that are evident in schools today. I started in 66 and graduated in 70. Same type of uniform was expected; no long hair, no facial hair and believe me the sisters and brothers never spared the rod when it came to discipline.
Now with modernization the High School is co-ed uniform has been dropped and hair and facial hair rules non-existent.

3 Likes

I got a big scar from a brass yard stick on the back of my left hand from a nun in 4th grade. They wore penguin clothes back then and nuns were as frustrated as priests back in the 1960’s if you understand?

1 Like

Thank you for the SCOTUS reference. It clarifies the issue but how many know and understand what it says. Parents generally won’t know, but teachers and administrators must know their school dress codes in order to apply them properly in light of the SC ruling.

2 Likes

I have three such tee shirts that are even tamer than yours, and I don’t wear them in public anymore. The way I figure it (quoting J in MIB) “You don’t start nothin, there won’t be nothin.” Gun-love tees are right up there with red ball caps: we live in inflammatory times, so even though you have a 1st Amendment right to wear them, it’s probably best not to pull on a scab. And lets not forget that today’s educators punished a kid for pointing a “finger pistol” at a classmate, and sent a pre-teen to drug counseling for giving a classmate an aspirin. Give them an opportunity to fan the flames and we’ll never reach any kind of common ground. Ask yourselves what your long-term goal is in these matters and act accordingly.

2 Likes

If I only had a dollar for ever time someone said they were going to sue me…but I’m only a teacher so what do I know.

3 Likes

I sure do - have a few of those scars myself and a broken ear drum in 6th grade from a Nun slapping me with a cupped hand over my left ear. Oh the joys of Catholic School - great education if you survived the disciple. So what do you shoot I currently have a CZ-P07 and a Walther PPQ M2 my EDC is the CZ.

1 Like

@William54 I have my Millenium PT111G2C, At my age Guns just are not my main priority anymore like when I was younger William

1 Like

I’m not so sure I’d agree. We need to be seen not hide in the shadows or be forced into a closet especially with the anti gun push we’re going to see from now through election day.

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

3 Likes

Thanks for the comments, WildRose. Please don’t misinterpret my low-key response. I prefer to choose my battles, and kids in tee shirts isn’t worth the aggravation, in my opinion.

Also, I don’t trust the “zero tolerance” attitude taken on by schools these days. It’s like they don’t want to spend too much energy on “critical thinking,” and that goes against everything I believe an education should include. These administrators can ruin a kid’s chances of getting into a good school down the line.

1 Like

“Critical Thinking” would be the opposite of what is being taught in most schools today.

Independent thought simply isn’t welcome at all and if you draw your own conclusions based on the available information and they should fail to coincide with the leftwing/anti gun agenda your kid is liable to be sent home to contemplate where they went wrong.

1 Like

I fully support the First and Second Amendments. In fact, I support them all. Legally, this young gent is within his rights. That said, however, I think some common sense may have been applied here, if not by the student, than perhaps by his parents? In this country, we’re blessed with so many freedoms, but with these freedoms comes responsibility. I think many forget that second part and, here, we get ourselves into trouble. Just because we CAN do something doesn’t necessarily mean we SHOULD do it. In light of all recent, and not so recent tragedies, and all the fear and hyper sensitivity that goes with it, is this the road we really want to go down as pro-2A supporters? Is this how we are going to win the hearts and minds of those who don’t fully understand, and who still may be open to discussion and learning? Is this how we want to define ourselves? I understand and empathize with pro-2A supporters. I’m one. I get it… we’re angry, very angry, that there are people out there - politicians, educators and citizens - that threaten our God-given and constitutionally protected right to bear arms, That said, I personally believe there are more effective ways to protect what we hold so dear. T-shirts that incite, and the related dust up that goes with it, might actually hurt our cause more than help it. I think we need to be better and smarter if we are going to truly protect our rights and win hearts and minds. I think our energies need to be concentrated in more important places where we can not only win the battle, but also the war. One man’s opinion, for what it’s worth.

1 Like

Thoughtful post Alex. Welcome to the group.

1 Like

Good post. I agree that wearing a gun shirt to school is not appropriate but, if there are going to be dress code rules, they must not be biased or politically slanted. Can’t you see it now? Educators sitting around conference tables across our country, contemplating their belly buttons as they try to sort this out? Maybe we should just apply a little common sense?

1 Like

I should note that I was traveling for work recently, and had my USCCA “Responsibly Armed American” shirt on at the airport. I have TSA Precheck, and I did not get stopped going through security at MKE. I did, however get screamed at by two separate people when I landed in Vegas. The general theme was that I was “inciting violence”, and “how could you wear a gun shirt to an airport?” My response was simple, and actually sparked a meaningful conversation with one individual. I said, “Part of being a responsibly armed American is following the laws in regards to firearms. I can’t carry a gun at an airport, so I don’t.” Obviously, it went on for a while, and we did not agree on the topic, but she did appreciate my rational response, and I appreciated someone actually having a conversation about something with which they disagree.

1 Like

My daughter is currently wearing a shooting competition shirt to school. She’s worn them before without any issue. Our principal and a few teachers also shoot at our club.

1 Like

I’m jealous of the school range - you all can keep the beards. :bearded_person: LOL!

3 Likes