What would you do: at the beach?

FB_Link_What_Would_You_Do_08-12-2020
You’re on the small beachfront of your local lake. Your dogs are happily splashing in the water with your significant other. You’re on the other side of the boat launch, fishing from shore.

A group of rowdy (possibly intoxicated) boaters comes in from the lake on their boat. One man goes to get the boat trailer to pull the boat out of the water. The guy tries to back the boat trailer into the water a few times, almost backing it down the pier. He doesn’t seem to be able to get the trailer in the water and is getting vocally aggressive toward his buddies who are heckling him. The group is between you and your significant other and your dogs.

What would you do?

4 Likes

Get family, dog and GTFO. Recipe for stupid people about to do stupid stuff at a stupid place.

Not my :clown_face:, not my circus.

10 Likes

I’ll take Family and dog for a lunch or ice creams… whatever … just GTFO (I love @Zavier_D’s abbreviation :+1: )
Avoidance is the first step for happy long life !

5 Likes

Grab the dog’s leash… Dogs tend to run right up to stupid people.
Start the video app on my phone, place it in my shirt pocket so it will stealth record what happens.
Very cautiously start to walk around the idiots, politely begging their pardon if needed.
Using the preset trouble word like “sweetheart or honey bun” call the wife, kids and dog out of the water… and pray the wife and kids will keep their mouths shut until you’re all out of there!

Sometimes a tactical retreat is the best offense.

7 Likes

My only difference is the use of a safe word. I won’t have to. My wife lives with her head on a swivel also. She would notice what is going on, come my way, and nonchalantly ask if I’m ready to go.

6 Likes

Like the others said, leave.

5 Likes

I say distance yourself from them and continue doing what you are doing. If his aggression comes towards you, you can call 911 and report a disorderly person. Him being intoxicated is not a crime but a violation only at this point. Be alert and watch the others with him they just may pass through.

3 Likes

I don’t live close enough to a lake to go often, but I do go to the beach on the gulf. If some drunk/aggressive people drive/walk up, my wife knows it’s time to get to the truck. Out there, you’re a long way from help, so when possible danger approaches, it’s time to move. We may only move a little further down the beach, but we maintain distance. I do take multiple firearms with us when we go, fortunately, I have never had a situation close to the point of any level of defense while with my wife.

3 Likes

I like the preset trouble word :+1:t3::+1:t3:

3 Likes

Then post that on Facebook for people to get a good laugh at stupid people.

1 Like

Dawn, you just described a routine situation in FL. Happens several times/day around this state. This, the alligators, panthers, and bears are why we carry while fishing. And open carry in FL is legal while fishing. Tends to deter most of this nonsense getting inside your circle, especially if you carry a big, shiny pistol. :wink:

5 Likes

I’d handle it with the Joe Biden method:

Brandish my weapon.
Rack it loudly.
Fire a warning shot.
And if that doesn’t scare them off, then shoot for the leg, so nobody gets too hurt.

Did I get that about right? :rofl::-1::poop:

2 Likes

Like @Ken38, I have seen this many times. If it is as bad as you describe, I usually walk over to the hecklers and say something like “One of you should probably take over before he tears his trailer up”. Usually one of them will man-up and handle the situation. If they tell me none of them know how to back a trailer, then I offer to do it for them. I’ve had them decline my offer, but never had any of them get upset with me.

2 Likes

Well i would make sure my family is safe and approach the guy and say would you mind if i helped you out, seems your having a bit of trouble. If he says no i got it, then i leave at least knowing i was the better person to have offered to help. I am not one to sit back and watch a person struggle, i would rather see them succeed. Yes they have been drinking but at times everyone needs a hand and to proud to ask. I am not to proud to offer.

3 Likes