What would you ask an attorney?

100% Yes! You want to be the first to call the police. If Tom has time, I’ll make sure he goes over the details when he does the video. :slight_smile: If not, the awesome people here can fill you in on a lot of the details around that. :slight_smile:

Glad to have you here @David248

1 Like

Thank you Dawn.

1 Like

I live in OK next mouth the law says we don’t need a licence to carry. but what if I like to travel I still need my license? Thank you Prov 27:17

2 Likes

If in a self defense situation and ultimately either charges weren’t brought on you by the commonwealths attorney, a grand jury didn’t bring any charges, or you were found not-guilty by a court, when would you get the firearm used returned to you? I live in Virginia.
Thanks,
Chandler~

2 Likes

What would happen as a concealed carrier if someone was trying to steal my vehicle while I’m stopped at a light. I don’t see a weapon but I’m pretty scared I’m not young. I shoot the guy dead.

What does, " hidden from normal view" mean legally?

1 Like

My biggest question and debate is carrying in gun free zones. I feel these areas definitely have higher risk. What are ramifications for carrying in these areas? And any suggestions on deciding if it’s worth it.

1 Like

From New Mexico, does friendship with the local Police help/hinder you if involved in a self-defense situation? I have attended their citizens academy that provided education on police procedures. I know the chief and several officers.

1 Like

If I was found innocent of defending myself but the person or family which I shot going to be successful in a Civil suit against me?

1 Like

@Alan19 - welcome to the Community! Can you give me a little more context for Tom? I want to make sure we have as much information as possible when he’s answering these questions so he can give the best answer possible.

Where are you reading that and what state are you from?

1 Like

@Makion - glad to have you here! There are going to be different ramifications in different states. Check out the USCCA Reciprocity Map for details on different states. www.uscca.com/laws

After you check that out, can you narrow down your question a bit for Tom? There are a ton of variables, so the more precise the question is the better chance Tom can give you a more solid answer.

Hi @Corey12, welcome to the Community! Check out the individual state laws here: www.uscca.com/laws The other thing I’d suggest is checking with the specific college you’re looking at as some may have different views on firearms in your vehicle on campus. I’d be happy to help dig for information on a specific campus if you’d like. Just let me know!

Glad to have you here, @Dennis42. I’m not surprised that you’re getting a variety of answers. Laws vary by location and can change frequently. I’d suggest checking out www.uscca.com/laws for the latest on carry laws. BTW - Federal buildings are a no-go with or without the sign.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, @Richard. Every responsibly armed American is worth fighting for. We are frustrated with the situation in NJ, WA, and NY. We do not agree with the situation and are fighting to find a way to help responsibly armed Americans in those states again.

On Sept 10, the governor of New Jersey, Phil Murphy, signed an executive order directing New Jersey’s Department of Banking and Insurance to prohibit or limit the sale of insurance products that encourage the improper use of firearms. Now, USCCA membership isn’t an insurance product, and you and I both know our membership does not encourage the improper use of firearms but it appears that the State of New Jersey may not agree with us. As such, we have received a notice of inquiry from the state of New Jersey about our membership program. To ensure our long term ability to provide membership to as many responsibly armed Americans as possible, we are suspending selling new memberships and renewing existing memberships in New Jersey as we work our way through this state inquiry.

We value every responsibly armed American and our team is aggressively working to resolve this situation with the State of New Jersey and help them understand our membership is for responsible gun ownership, not improper firearm use. We hope to resolve this quickly!

1 Like

If you felt the need to draw your weapon in self defense I believe it is in your best interest to contact the authorities for two very important reasons. First, the fact that you had to draw your weapon indicates to me that someone was committing or attempting to commit a crime against you. It is important that the police know this and have the opportunity to investigate it. If it is not reported, it is lost forever and will never show up in crime statistics. Keep in mind that attempting to commit a crime is itself a crime.
The other reason you want to contact the authorities is to protect yourself. If the assailant calls the police and reports that someone was brandishing a weapon, you want to be on record as having reported the crime against you and your justification for drawing your weapon.
Basically, your call to the police is to take an offensive stance against the assailant and at the same time building the defense of your actions.

3 Likes

Hello Dawn. That Richard143 is not me. :blush:

I understand much better now, thank you Mike.

1 Like

I’m wondering if he has any information/ advise on deciding if it is worth carrying in business that display a new firearms allowed sign in Wisconsin.

Seems like the law is biased toward using my gun to kill the assailant rather than in-between measures like a warning shot or even brandishing. Many answers to the question are people saying “empty your gun”. Is there any room for common sense?

I conceal carry every day and take walks around my neighborhood. There is a school in the middle of my trek. Should the 1000 ft buffer zone concern me? I have no intention of going onto the school property. I live in CO.

1 Like