What would you ask an attorney?

These gun laws seem to be against civilians they contradict themselves. All I know is if I were ever to protect myself and property I better have a big bank account to prove that I was following all their regulations when I did. Seems like they’d rather we be victims.

3 Likes

In the Marines, we are trained in escalation of force. How important of a role does it play in a justifiable self defense event?

5 Likes

Self defense against animals in public. For example if someone is walking a dog with no leash and begins to approach you in an aggressive behavior and doesn’t respond to owners commands or if your walking and an unattended dog is left alone in a yard that jumps the fence and is moving forward towards you. What should you do? Shoot or hope you can out run this animal?

3 Likes

In Illinois when he runs your license he/she is going to see/know you have your CCL anyway - I place my paws on the steering wheel & hand him both when asked for my license - it usually puts the officer more @ ease then & he can decide to ask if you’re carrying or not & temporarily disarm you if he/she’s not! Only time I was he asked me to keep my paws on the wheel & never even asked to see it & no ticket either (whew) having a CDL tickets even written warnings remain on your CSA 2010 for 5-6 years which your company gets whatever points you do - tickets can be fought, written warnings are problematic!

1 Like

I just tell them I am a conceal carrier and depending on officers initial demeanor tell them either A) I do have a firearm in the vehicle and will await instructions before doing anything. Or. B)I am a licensed concealed carrier and I do have my equipment with me. Please advise.

2 Likes

A question I would ask is -

What is the best way to approach a situation like a traffic stop where the officer is obvious a recent hire from a different state and is uninformed about gun laws in new location?
I have a lot of Northern folk fleeing to my state getting hired on at local positions but seem to be constantly ill informed on our gun laws which are vastly different (read:more free) than what they are used to.

3 Likes

As a Florida Concealed Carry holder, we understand that schools are gun-free zones. But for parents who are picking up their kids from the car lane what does the law say? Especially if coming directly from work with no chance to drop off the firearm at home, how do you navigate around that legally?

2 Likes

Should I be concerned with how “scary” a firearm looks. If it ends up as evidence, and it looks like something out of a Call of Duty game, will it influence a jury’s opinion?

3 Likes

What modifications to a self-defense handgun won’t makena court case complicated?

2 Likes

Hey, I’d like to know why you didn’t stand your ground to Communist New Jersey and their insurance assault??
Are we customers not worth your insurance?
Do you not see that this move is just another liberal tactic to harm legal gun owners??
I’m very disappointed. And, if I have to find another company, I will not return to USCCA.
For you have just proven that I, and every other NJ resident who holds a policy with you, is not important enough to fight for.

2 Likes

Does installing an aftermarket trigger with a safety tab (like Glocks have) for the purpose of making your gun safer create any legal issues in a self defense case?

2 Likes

In Tom’s estimation/experience, what percentage of self defense incidents, where criminal charges were not brought or where the defender was later found innocent of criminal charges, wind up in civil court? What has the outcome generally been there? And cost?

2 Likes

I’d like to ask what are the legal ramifications of carrying when an employer forbids it? I know of a place that allows the public to open, conceal, whatever carry but forbids their employees from doing so while on the clock. It has been told to me that some have been terminated for failure to comply. This seems to be a violation of an employees 2A rights, especially if he/she is properly licensed to conceal carry in that state. Can an employer dictate everything that can/will happen under their rules and regulations?

Thanks.

2 Likes

If I only draw my weapon in a self defense incident should I notify the authorities?

4 Likes

Lots of new folks on this thread! Welcome everyone! glad you’re here :grinning:

1 Like

@David248 Most of us who have been here for a long time know that answer David. It was very likely covered in the legal portion of your Concealed Carry Class but most important I think it’s much better handled by @Tom_Grieve or @MikeBKY if he sees it or Tom gets your question. And welcome to the group and we are very happy to have you here.
You’re very likely going to like it here.

is there a comprehensive list of places we can or can not carry legally. Ive asked ccw initial / renewal instructors ( maybe I just dont have the best and most informed ) but they always seem to have different answers.

if the penal code is posted for a gun free zone you cant carry there… but there are federal buildings that have been “said” are gun free but no penal code is posted ( usps buildings mainly).

updated: im also in california

1 Like

I’m about to drive from the DC area to northern Idaho via Amarillo, TX. I’ll have to drive through several reservations on this trip. My permit is valid in all the states I’ll pass through but what about the reservations?

1 Like

Here’s a question i settled on after reading some in another post.

If you’re in a situation where you have to use lethal force, where you have to shoot someone, why is a head shot considered “more lethal”?

If I had to defend myself and I put 6 rounds in someone’s chest it’s legal self defense right? But if I shoot once in the head it’s grounds for being prosecuted. Then if I dumped my entire magazine (15+1) it’s considered overkill?

How does the law differentiate between lethal force? If the situation is so extreme that lethal force is justified, why should it matter where I fire those bullets in to my attacker?

I do understand that this is also up to the prosecuting attorney and his/her discretion, sometimes I just don’t understand why one is ok and another is not.

1 Like

Are college employees allowed to store their firearm in their vehicles in the state of Florida

1 Like