What would you advise new firearm owners?

Safety, safety, safety. Training & read everything

2 Likes

Remember the safety switch is located between your ears, engage it each time you are near the weapon.

Larry

4 Likes

Dont let learning stop at the buying. Stay up on everything to do with the carrying

2 Likes

Be responsible. Don’t show off you new weapon to untrained unknowing friends and family. its a recipe for disaster…

3 Likes

Head on a swivel, always be aware of your surroundings.

1 Like

I always wonder why people walk over to the counter at the local range and ask the attendant for 10 targets and 1 hour of range time…

Going to the range with a gun and fifty rounds and coming home with 50 spent cases and a bunch of targets that look like Swiss cheese is not a training session.

Going to the range with the plan of executing 50 PERFECT trigger presses and walking out with ONE target with ONE jagged hole in the center absolutely is.

Every range trip needs a plan and goal(s) or you are just wasting your time and money, while giving yourself a false sense of accomplishment.

1 Like

I don’t know. I sometimes shoot in less than ideal conditions so I can learn my limitations. After I identify my mistakes, then I can focus on correcting them. I could concentrate on the range and get a nice tight group every time, but I probably won’t get that opportunity in real life. Knowing what shots I shouldn’t take is important, too.

1 Like

I didn’t say you had to do this drill every time. I certainly don’t. Just said you need goals every time you go train.

But in all cases, shooting skill is only being able to execute the fundamentals perfectly from different positions and under different circumstances. But in the end if you have not mastered your trigger presses you’ll never be a good shooter.

2 Likes

Agree 100 percent with @Enzo_T, you should go to the range and focus on improving your skills. Try to have good trigger control in every shot and tight groupings. It’s ok to have fun but you are wasting your time if you go have fun all the time. Have fun but do it correctly.

1 Like

That is very well put! Do it correctly. Have a purpose for every move and drill. Learn something new or get better at SOMETHING!

I’m very lucky that my range is basically controlled by, well, ME! I can do whatever I want and that includes when working with students. I have very safe areas to shoot with berms on 3 sides and I can move and shoot in any position I want and set targets any way I need them. SO I get very creative with my drills. BUT, I NEVER neglect the basic Extend, Touch, Press. Again, if the fundamentals are not there, everything else is a waste of time and potentially just a breeding ground for bad habits.

But the fact is that for most shooters their available ranges will not give them a lot of flexibility. In many cases they won’t let you draw from a holster or do double/triple taps to learn recoil control. Indoor ranges and even many outdoor ones will not allow you to move and shoot or even move while drawing (a fundamental skill learned in DSF).

So the reality is that for most shooters simple drills like coming to full extension from a low ready or a Compressed Chest Ready and executing a perfect trigger press is about all they can do for practice. So you might as well use the time to become exceptional with your trigger control.

Also, NEVER train for speed. You train for SMOOTH and speed will come. Look for opportunities to learn about economy of motion. Ex. the shortest path from High Compressed Ready to a full extension is a straight line. If you find yourself doing the scoop, methodically practice getting out of that habit through a lot of repetitions.

And to new shooters, not having the time or money to go to the range is NO EXCUSE for not practicing. Just about everything you need to learn to do with your firearm you can practice at home, including trigger control. Load the gun with dummy rounds (snap caps) and your house is a fun place to learn to move, draw, reload and hell, tuck and roll if you want to. Lots of dry fire drills translates to MUCH better groups when you finally get to the range.

And when you get good you’ll figure out that you don’t really need those 10 targets. Like a pro golfer, you’ll only need to note your misses.

1 Like

Start watching Paul Harrell on YouTube.

2 Likes

READ YOUR MANUAL! Postpaid or not, fill out and mail your warranty card in an envelope - this is a basic matter of “need to know”. Don’t let pride of ownership lead you to becoming a legend in your own mind. Remain discrete about your purchase.

2 Likes