What would you advise new firearm owners?

For those of us who are our family’s protectors, this sweatshirt says it all:
Shared with CloudApp
Get yours here: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/store/mens-apparel/mens-sweatshirts/uscca-mens-dont-tread-on-me-snake-sweatshirt/

What would you advise new firearm owners about ensuring that their family is protected?

2 Likes

situational awareness will take you far. Good home security plan. GET TRAINING if a firearm is part of your plan.

6 Likes

Don’t become a “legend in your own mind”.

9 Likes

You need to think about the ultimate end of every action you might take. Do this before you decide whether to carry. You have to be prepared to live with your decisions.

6 Likes

The firearm is just one tool. Protecting your family involves much more than carrying a defensive weapon.

That said, a firearm is a very powerful tool, and demands a lot of responsibility.

8 Likes

Train then practice.

7 Likes

It says much more than that! I might wear a USCCA message or even the born to protect merch. I don’t see myself ever being willing to identify with the Gadsden flag groups. Much too controversial. Is this such a group?

Practice situational awareness, train a lot, take classes in self defense and home defense. Learn to be a responsible gun owner. Remember you are a protector of your loved ones. Never be an aggressor. Be level headed and think before you act. Always keep your firearms safely stored and out of reach of unauthorized persons.

5 Likes

Take a class from a reputable instructor. Preferably in person but good video courses are way better than no training at all. Dry fire practice should be the majority of your practice time and is likely the only practice you can afford right now;)

4 Likes

The above 2 posts spell it out pretty well. I would also add dont stop taking classes/training. Try to take a class every year or two if you can afford it.

5 Likes

Get some insurance

2 Likes

Learn your firearm inside and out. :us:

3 Likes

I’ll add make shooting fun!
The more you can shoot, the better at it you’ll be
and the more fun you have shooting, the more you’ll shoot (and the better at you’ll be!)

2 Likes

The Gadsden flag has a long history and doesn’t represent just one thing. It has ties to the original U.S. Marine Corps. It has ties to Benjamin Franklin’s snake symbol. It has ties to many patriotic groups. It has ties to many protest groups. And yes, it’s also used by some controversial groups.

“Is this such a group?” I guess that depends on what you think the flag represents. I’m sure in a group this large that we have some folks that own a Gadsden flag. You’ll have to ask them if you want to know why.

Me? I own many historic flags. I’m a little bit of a vexillology nerd, or at least enough to appreciate the real vexillology nerds. If that makes you nervous, don’t look in my garage.

3 Likes

For a new firearm owner, you need to train with your gun. Treat your gun as if it is loaded at all times, finger off the trigger, etc. USCCA provides great content and training :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I take the meaning of the symbol from its original intent and meaning. I do not associate it with any “group”, but our original revolutionaries. I personally don’t know of any organizations that use it as a symbol of, I assume, you believe, nefarious intent. My state has it as an option for your vehicle license plate, which I have. I am an ardent believer in our Constitution and our inalienable rights guaranteed and protected by our Constitution. If that makes me bad person, then our country is in very terrible shape.

2 Likes

Train with your firearm(s). Train often. Have a plan at home. Train to that plan as well.

2 Likes

I might carefully and gently encourage them to join the USCCA and NRA, not only for the insurance options, but for learning about safety, and learning to be a responsible guardian of a firearm. I have relatives who plan to take their first conceal carry licensure course, and I offered to pay their first year’s membership in the USCCA once they obtain their license.

2 Likes

Get training.

2 Likes

If you have a semi-automatic pistol, start with Kydex holsters. I had this romantic idea of leather holsters. I wasted a lot of money before I realized Kydex is better.

Todd Wallace

1 Like