What would make you draw?

I just look at it from the very practical and legal side.

What qualifies as disparity of force is different with each individual and the circumstances present. Women from the legal side of things tend to have much greater leeway legally when it comes to the disparity of force.

Men and women may be equal in most ways under the law but men and women are not physically equal and women are more frequently victimized than men so with the XX chromosomes comes a bit of an advantage in the eyes of the law.

2 Likes

If you’re just caught up and carried along with the crowd where is the threat of grave bodily harm or death?

You’re going to have a real hard time articulating a legal justification without a clear threat of grave bodily harm or death.

That is not technically true in all states. In Al. specifically the presence of the owner on the owners property is an enhancing circumstance that A) Raises the level of crime from what may have been a minor misdemeanor to a Class A felony.

Then depending on your record, you are looking at a minimum 10-20, up to life without parole ( Double Bachelor’s degree Criminal Justice, and Psychology).

Some states in the South are quite bloody minded when it comes to crime. But have very liberal ideas on applications of when force can be used, and how much in Alabama. If I am on my property.

1 Like

I’m not seeing it. The only justifications I see are in the form of stopping someone committing a forcible felony.

Can you provide a citation?

1 Like

For enhancing circumstances or defending my property or both?

1 Like

For any lawful use that doesn’t involve a forcible felony.

2 Likes

I’ll take it that you’ve never been caught in a group like that @WildRose. People can even crushed to death in swarming crowds.

When it happened to me in college I ended up with bruised ribs from elbows and crushing pressures.

2 Likes

That’s not an attack, it’s just being caught up in a crowd.

You could not lawfully start shooting into a crowd crush scenario like that.

1 Like

Click on Alabama in your dashboard. Then read Alabama laws. If you want statutes I need a bit more detail. Not trying to argue. Just not understanding what exactly you want to debate.

Enhancing Circumstances is under charging and sentencing, and protection of property is kind of all over the place.

No heat here just asking for info. Squatting is not in and of itself a felony but I can forcibly eject you if you do not remove yourself once I become aware of it and request you to leave. I can use deadly force if during the course of that ejection I can reasonably articulate fear of life.

Would I do any of that, only under the most dire of circumstances. I would call the police and let them handle it.

One thing wrong on web page for USCCA, Al. is a stand your ground state now.

1 Like

Ok, you’re going right back to my original point wherein you’r not defending property, you’re defending your own life.

Ejecting a squatter forcibly is not defending my life. It is defending my property.

Ejecting a squatter is using force but not deadly force.

I’m still hoping for a citation that explains your position.

I can not tell if you are being obtuse or you just want to be right. To be honest, I’m not sure what you want. So you win. It’s not worth the waste of time.

I said that under Alabama law I can use force to defend my property. I never claimed I could come out and Rambo the place up. Someone trespassing down deep enough into my property to steal my lawnmower I can legally go out and use force to stop him. Am I going to? No it would be a stupid risk in my condition. I would call 911. Try to be best witness I could, and if he got away, oh well I lost a $200 lawnmower. But I would have the option to go out and stop him forcibly.

Force is force, and any amount of force can become deadly force. It says clearly that I can protect my property with force if need be. I’ve shown and told you where the citations are at. You don’t like my answers. I’m sorry. Doesn’t change em. In Al. you can use force to defend your property. I’ve done it, neighbors have done it, friends have done it. Mostly people breaking into their automobiles.

So can we say you win and drop this. I have no idea what you want. I have even gone back and re-read everything I have said to see what has you riled up.

I am not going to go through the entire Alabama criminal code, if you want to have at it.

1 Like

@dawn can get the team to revise that

That’s included in the last line of the description at the top of the page. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I missed that. I saw the Castle Doctrine and was uhoh. False alarm. I “punished” myself by eating two cookies instead of one so I would have to exercise more. Well really the cookies were just that good.

3 Likes

Bad Zavier, more range time for you! :grimacing:
oh, wait… :thinking: that’s not a punishment is it… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Nevermind :laughing:

Oh dear, something tells me there’s no more cookies…
/upperbody sags, chin droops…

me want coookiees…

2 Likes

It’s not about winning and losing, it’s about relating accurate information to the readers here.

I read back. The post you replied to initially of mine was in answer to Roberts question about defense of property, particularly a truck that is part of your business.

Unless it’s a car jacking situation with him in the truck then no, there is no state I’m aware of that allows the use of deadly force in defense of that property except under very strict conditions.

In every state the laws differentiate between non deadly force and deadly force and deadly force generally cannot be used without a clearly articulable imminent threat of death or grave bodily harm.

I read through the Alabama statutes, I see nothing there allowing for the use of deadly force absent some sort of forcible felony being committed or threatened reaching that bar of “reasonable fear of imminent grave bodily harm or death”.

We have a responsibility here to make sure that only accurate information is put out and where theres a question we need to be sure and clarify it otherwise someone down the line is likely to base their self defense choices on that bad information.

1 Like

Dude at no point have I said deadly I have said force. I have been clear on the distinction. I can defend my property, have done done so. I said that Alabama law allows you to defend your property with force. This is my last reply.