What was the first gun you ever shot?

My first shot was from a model 42. Of course the T-Rex arms were too short, so my dad helped. Still counts though…

3 Likes

The first gun I ever shot was the first gun I ever owned. It was a Taurus 38 special. I took it to the range, shot 100 rounds through it and on my way out of the range, I found out they were having a ccw class. I took the class and passed my efficiency test and now I carry daily.

2 Likes

My Savage Stevens .22 rifle. My first gun that I got for Christmas when I was 16. I still have her and she still shoots great. Not a speck of rust. Mighty fine little rifle. A model 987 semi-auto with the tube magazine.

4 Likes

an old Mossberg .22 that had a selection of front and rear sights. Forearm extended to the end of the barrel. Probably put more bricks through it than a police station in a riot

2 Likes

My lovely Red Rider BB gun! My father was as excited as I when I opened that Christmas present. Also included was a small supply of BB’s…just in case I shot my eye out! Dad took me to the woods and set up a bunch of cola cans. I can still hear the beautiful sound as each BB found its target.

3 Likes

@Cross_Rifles, with such experience as a 4 yrs old kid, you should jump into this thread:

2 Likes

I was 14 when my uncle let me shoot his 10 gauge shot gun.

5 Likes

I didn’t even think to pick my BB gun. My dad bought me a BB gun when I was 4 or 5 and to be honest, he taught me gun safety without me realizing it. My wife and I just had a baby boy and I was super excited to collect my old BB gun from my dad so I can pass it on :grin:.

6 Likes

@Tatt00rick, welcome to the community!

2 Likes

M 14 @ Camp Pendleton 1966.

4 Likes

Glock 19, two days after I became a US citizen in October 2017!

10 Likes

I know it was a .22 rifle of some kind, loaned to me (with supervision from assistant Scoutmaster) at the late age of 16. What followed that was remarkable as I was a history buff. I had the chance to shoot a Krag-Jorgensen .30-40, a Mauser '98 7.92mm, a 1903A3 Springifield .30-06, a US GI 1911A1 .45 ACP, and a P-08 Parabellum (Luger) 9mm. Needless to say I will never forget that day in the Mojave Desert in 1974.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family Daniel and god bless you.

I also had a 20 Gauge break action from my dad at ~8 years old. He told me to hold it tight so both my right and left hands had a death grip. He didn’t tell me to hold it tight to my shoulder, but I figured that out pretty quick… What we had was a “failure to communicate”. (apologies to Cool Hand Luke) Might be good to give your youth shooters better clarity.

2 Likes

A Glock 19 or 26, cannot remember which…
I did not like or hate it…
It was my brother, my cousin, and myself who found out there was an indoor range about 30 minutes away…

:v:t5:

2 Likes

Marlin 39, lever action .22, with my dad, squirrel hunting in Mo. when I was 6 or 7. I was carrying my trusty Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.

2 Likes

My dad’s Rossi . 38 Special.
I like revolvers…

2 Likes

My first “gun” other than a Red Ryder BB gun was a .410 bolt action Sears and Roebuck shotgun I got when I was maybe nine or ten.

My first handgun was a 1911A1 in .45ACP at 19 in the USMC. I still love the 1911A1 in .45ACP. My primary house gun is a Springfield Armory 1911A1 in .45ACP, bone stock other than having the trigger cleaned up.

Kate

5 Likes

First gun I fired, bigger than a BB gun was a Highpoint 9mm. I had researched and researched. One website would say it was garbage the next would say it was great. It was in my budget, out the door with two boxes of ammo for $180. I found a great outdoor range. The range officer gave me a few tip. Yes the gun is ugly and heavy but accurate out of the box. I fell in love with shooting that Day and have sense purchased a few more Guns.

3 Likes

Hey Michael welcome to your new extended family and glad you are here.