What to do when getting pulled over by the police

this ! As soon as I saw it, it was a facepalm, oh duh! moment! And the reality is when you copy it may be the last time all those documents are in one place!

Brilliant! Heck if I pulled someone over for a traffic check, this would blow my mind!

8 Likes

As always, I am late for this one also but I have to share on this one. Being from Chicago it was different for me because of how things are there with blacks and LEOā€™s.
When I first started driving I would do the right thingā€™s as for being respectful, hands were they can be seen and have everything at hand but, as I continued to be pulled over more and more, believe it or not for no legal reason. I became one of those that LEOā€™s had problems with. It got so bad I could not keep my driving license no more than 3 days and was on first name bases with every judge in traffic court.
It took me to move to Tn. after a few months to start back to being respectful to LEOā€™s doing a traffic stop. As I have stated before in other forums in the community, I have great respect for my brothers/sisters which are LEOā€™s but no matter who it may be, if they come at me disrespectful I will return the same. Even desired to be a LEO since childhood but found out 20+ years ago God had other plans for me.

3 Likes

In Texas it is required that you notify the officer that you have a firearm in your car or on your person etc, When they run your plates, they already know if you have a LTC permit but Texas has recently become a ā€œright to carryā€ state so you are no longer required to have a permit. I put my firearm in my center console while driving. I have been pulled over & one of the first questions asked was if I had a firearm. I had my keys on the dashboard, my driverā€™s window open & kept my hands at 2 & 10 on the steering wheel. I answered "I do and it is in the center console loaded with one in the chamber. I was asked to exit the vehicle & he took my pistol back to his vehicle. I was issued a warning & he handed me back my pistol with the mag & chambered round removed and asked me to not load the gun until he had driven away

4 Likes

asked me to not load the gun until he had driven away

This is where trouble begins with me. If I have the right to carry, which all law abiding citizens do, why should I wait until they drive away? They do not unload their weapons for the safety of the peoples.

3 Likes

I follow Chris Rocks advise!!!

3 Likes

Iā€™m so old that I remember when law enforcement and the public were friends. Itā€™s been some 20 years since I was last pulled over. I was near my Bullock CO. Alabama property on a 2-lane blacktop doing 55mph. I see a State Trooper car headed toward me, check my speed, wave, and the blueā€™s come on. I quickly pull over and start doing all the ā€˜wrongā€™ things. I jump out, reach behind me a pull my wallet, find DL, and wait for the officer to get out and come up. How this guy ever got in the patrol car I donā€™t know cause heā€™s about 7ā€™ tall and makes the actor ā€˜Rockā€™ look like a midget. He walks up I hold out my hand and introduce myself and hand him my DL. He smiles, say Mr. XXXXX, do you know why I pulled you over. I allowed that I had no clue as I checked my speed and I was doing 55mph. He says, "yes sir, you were right on 55, but the speed limit is 45mph.
Now Iā€™m living in Georgia at this time so he has my GA Lic. I reply, I have some property here and family. Iā€™ve been driving this road off and on all my life and the speed limit has always been 55, when did it change? He points out that Alabama made all these country roads 45mph unless marked different. I say well HELL, you got me fair and square. He smiles, tells me to wait there, goes to his car to do his checkout, comes back says, " Hereā€™s your Lic., have a nice day, back it down a notch or two. We shake hands, I tell him where my place is and if heā€™s driving by and seeā€™s my vehicle stop in for coffee.

4 Likes

I have a question for everyone. Has anyone been asked to either exit the vehicle for a Terry frisk and/or let the officer take your firearm during a traffic stop?

Iā€™ve been pulled over twice carrying one officer was very stand offish after informing. The second didnā€™t care said he wished more people would. I always have all my documents ready and waiting for them.

2 Likes

Don41

If youā€™ve not seen this vid, itā€™s a must see. Remember The 2016 United States presidential election held on Tuesday, November 8, 2016? Remember who was in it?

I live among hard core partisans, who make me reach for the Tylenol. Iā€™m so not political. So in this SNL skit below, they were the disappointed ones. I was more like Chris & Dave, in that it still meant the same old standard for me, except for maybe one side tends to be against my fire-arm rights. Still, I could not help but relate to Chris & Dave. Very funny. Enjoy. Respect to Chris, for what the manā€™s going through right now, heā€™s got class:

5 Likes

I have been CCW for 15+ years now. I have been in this position I think 6 times. Once when they were looking for someone, Rest were just License checks. What you said is basically what I did. All I got at the end was have a good night and becareful. Turning the interior light I think was the first best thing

2 Likes

Yes I think already having things ready for him, Thereā€™s no digging around for stuff while he approaches

2 Likes

I roll all four windows down (I have tinted windows). Then keep my hands at 10 & 2 on the wheel, and notify them that I am carrying as soon as they get to the window. I then follow all instructions.

2 Likes

No. No. No. If they ran your plates they know you have a CWP, and will assume you are armed. Rummaging around NOT a good idea. Interior lights on. Window 1/2 way down. Hands on wheel with fingers extended. Inform the officer you have a legal CWP (even if not required by law) and are armed, and that your firearm is located xxxxxx Your registration is in xxxxxxxx and your DL is located xxxxx, and you are awaiting their instructions. NEVER EVER SAY ā€œGUNā€!!!

3 Likes

Itā€™s interesting to read the different perspectives.

Iā€™m going to side w/ Arnie_W on this one. Have your docs ready and visible, and keep your hands where the officer(s) can see them. If you need to retrieve something else from your pockets or car, tell the officer what youā€™re looking for and where it is. Personally, Iā€™d ask permission before opening the center console or glove compartment.

My state does not have duty-to-inform, so Iā€™m not going to bring it up. If an officer asks, or I have to get out of my vehicle, Iā€™ll tell them that Iā€™m armed and where the firearm is located. But if the officer doesnā€™t bother to ask, Iā€™m not going to broach the subject.

2 Likes

In NC I donā€™t think our CCWs have a connection to our DL. I have talked to diff friends and the idea of having that way gets positive and negative replys. Personally it wouldnā€™t bother me to have a notification on my registration

2 Likes

I see the same idea shared over and over again across different platforms. Some LEOs might see your carry permit and escalate the situation over the fear that youā€™re probably carrying a firearm. But many LEOs (especially the more experienced officers) will see your permit and realize that youā€™ve passed some type of background check, or at least that youā€™re unlikely to be a felon.

3 Likes

My understanding is that it is connected to the license plate.

2 Likes

Not that I know of in NC. But I will look into for sure

2 Likes

That can become more of a thing than usual when traveling

2 Likes

Yeah as we would be passing through anti gun state. Just trying to travel through with out incident. Some LEO runs our tag as we are out of state. Bingo we have a possible problem. That changes my idea on it right there

2 Likes

I live in Arizona. And in Arizona you do not have to tell the police that you are armed or have a gun. But I will tell them just to make sure that nothing happens and to put them at ease.

4 Likes