What to do when getting pulled over by the police

In the last twenty years or so, I’ve been pulled over maybe four times. Twice by sheriff’s deputies, once by state police, once by some local transit police something or other. Never really occurred to me to worry much about their safety, typically more concerned with my own and do what they ask. Nothing more, nothing less. I figure if I don’t play stupid games, and the cops aren’t being jackwagons…chances of me winning stupid prizes is greatly reduced.

Last time I tried that, the cop poked holes in my excuse and commenced to scolding and chastising me I should know better. He didn’t buy it…but, I never got a ticket. Either way, I’ll take that one for the win column. :rofl:

3 Likes

Here’s a video from Atlanta’s Dunwoody PD that aired on a 3 minute TV spot years ago.

I thought it was honest, quaint, and a good primer for folks who have probably never even thought about this topic.

Most folks talk too fast for me; but in this video Chief Billy is speaking my native tongue!

6 Likes

That’s been my experience as well. Friends who work in LE tend to be on the paranoid side when working with the public. Probably more than needs be, but it’s a tool to stay alive in today’s world.

5 Likes

So I have a fishing story… I was out fishing and open carrying. Apparently I was fishing in a spot I wasnt suppose to be. The park ranger approached from my left side, and my gun was holstered on my right hip. He announced himself and his department, and asked how I was. My response, “I’m doing good officer, I just want you to know that I have a firearm on my right hip, in a holster, for recreational shooting.” I kept my hands on my fishing rod, stood still, but looked directly at him. His response was calm, cool and collected. He came up to me, looked to see that it was holstered, and asked more questions. At one point, he asked if I had my fishing license on me. I did, but it was in my back right pocket. I responded with, " yes officer, I will comply; it’s in my wallet, in my back right pocket, by my holster. How would you like me to proceed?" And he just let me grab it, and I did, ever so slowly. And that was all, he sent me on my way; no tickets, just a warning about fishing in that spot. To conclude, be friendly, speak loud and clear. Stay calm, move slow. Never reach for your weapon for any reason. Always ask how to make the officer more comfortable. I know it’s a different situation being in a car, as opposed to a park ranger; but I thought it was also a good example.

7 Likes

I actually put my hands out the window and dont move. I want the police officer to be as at ease as possible. I feel it is my job to give them a great traffic stop and help them out. They have enough problems without me making it worse. I really feel bad for them, esoecially lately.

I have never been pulled over for nothing either. There was something I was doing wrong each time. Speeding to be exact. Lol

6 Likes

Having been stopped more in my 18-wheeler more than a car over the years, it scares me having to stop on the interstate. If possible , I throw the 4 ways on and hit an exit ramp. Pull my wallet out of my pocket and lay it on the dash. Roll down window and keep my hands visible as officer approach’s, and let them know right off the bat that I’m carrying. Always treat them with respect. Was taught to treat others as you would want to be treated in return. Doesn’t always work with all people, go figure.

9 Likes

A friend of mine, honestly, got pulled over and he pooped his pants, literally. He explained to the LEO he had to poop real bad but, he is good now! as the aroma leaked out the window. LEO let him go!

7 Likes

I get my information necessary for the officer and put it on the dash and wait with my hands on the steering wheel until the officer approaches once he/she does I say good morning/evening ect. and by PA law notify the officer I have a firearm in the vehicle and a ccw witch i believe usually helps. I notify the officer our interaction is being recorded then politely ask why I was pulled over. Sign whatever citation they write if they even do at that point. Ask if im free to leave and say have a nice day or good night if i am.

3 Likes

That’s great, however, in Nebraska the police, especially Omaha, Bellevue and Lincoln (the axis of evil for the 2A) use the “duty to notify” as probable cause of a possible crime and will search you, your vehicle and any passengers. This is illegal since the Supreme Court has ruled the the officer must be able to articulate what crime the victim is suspected of committing, or about to commit or has committed… but again. the police play by their own rules and will usually win unless you can afford an attorney or get a conservative legal group to represent you.

5 Likes

Thats horrible, thankfully I have never had an issue with the officers the 2 time I’ve been pulled over. Did exactly as I said I do and the first time the officer thanked me of notifying him and the second time the officer said ok and asked why I told him and I said because I have to lol.

4 Likes

If in my convertible and top is down put hands on the roofline of front glass, top is up lower all windows , hands at 10 & 2, when they arrive inform them I have a CCW and a permit and ask what they would like me to do.

Once that is done, I talk the officer through any movements I may make and I follow their directions. If I disagree with the stop I will argue it in court.

6 Likes

Come on… none of you are being honest…

We all know the most common response is

“ACK!! Really Occifer, I did not see that speed limit sign”

I try to avoid being pulled over.

5 Likes

When you gotta go…

4 Likes

The other famous one is when you go the opposite way down a one way street and get pulled over and the officer says , Sir didn’t you see that arrow, and you respond by saying, I didn’t even see the Indians. :joy::joy:

7 Likes

In what can be a high stress situation, I want to remove every stressor that I can. Very few people argue themselves out of a ticket, bunches more argue themselves into one.

6 Likes

But we know… the response is ACK!!! Really Occifer…

5 Likes

I’ve never heard of one, where can I find one? Does she/it use incantations, runes, or some other form of spell magic? Is this a Pennsylvania thing? Would this form of magic work in Georgia?
/Thanks!

4 Likes

sure let’s laugh at the illiterate guy here :cry: lol

5 Likes

Some of you all are doing some things that seriously make me question who’s telling you to do this. The officer pulling you over is going to analyze every little thing you do from the time you spot each other to the time he/she gets up to the window.

1- Be Normal, Stay Calm Chances are you got caught speeding or have a light out somewhere. No big deal!

2- Pull to the Right shoulder ( not the left. Not not even if its the closest sholder)

3- pull over enough so the Officer can approach on the driver side, but also not so far they can’t use a passenger side approach. More Officers are being trained to use a passenger side approach as its safer and actuall allows a better view of the drivers actions.

4- if your windows are tinted, roll them down. If its dark out, turn on your interior lights.

5- have your info handy and give all documents an officer requests. I suggest making a color copy of your CCL, DL, Insurance, and Registration on one page. Laminate it and keep it in your visor. Yes, youre still required to have the original DL and CCL on your person ( vary by state) but at least you can quickly provide at minimum a copy without searching.

6- Be Polite save the argument for the court date, or at least until after you’ve been given the ticket. There is a diffrence between information seeking questions and making accusations. Choose your words and tone carefully.

7- Dont pull a felony stop on yourself. If you start going through the steps of a felony stop before I get out of the squad, I’m gonna finish it for you and put you through the rest of the steps. Seriously.

I’m not gonna give away the handbook and all the tiny cues we look for to determine of there is actual criminal activity afoot. Just know every thing you do and the manner in which you act or react can me combined under the totality of circumstances to form reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

5 Likes

With my friend, With!
(but seriously, if you have some kinda Harry Dresden thingie, let me know!?)

5 Likes