What modifications have you made to your gun?

Hmmm, my PC shield’s holographic sight popped out so the gunsmith super glued it back in. That’s it :joy:.

Not big into making changes. It’s a lot of work and is expensive for usually a small payout. I often think about changing sights. I would get talon grips if I needed it. I have no interest in trigger jobs (granted my M&P PC and 2.0s gave good triggers).

1 Like

Hi everyone. New member here.

I carry a Glock 43 and it definitely feels more secure with the finger extension on the mag. I have since installed the Pearce extension (no added capacity) and it feels even better than the Glock extension because it has the same texture on the front as the rest of the grip.

Pearce and a couple of other manufacturers offer +1 or +2 magazine extensions. Is there a potential issue with getting a +1/+2 extension? Even with the extensions, the G43 will still fall below the 10-round limit that some states have. But if forced to use it in self defense, did I make the firearm “more deadly” by adding capacity?

Thanks!

2 Likes

If it does please PM what you used for that extra round. I don’t see how capacity can get turned into lethality. But I’m not a lawyer

1 Like

In the monthly webinar “Ask an Attorney” Tom Grieve and Kevin get this topic frequently. I tend to follow their advice. My SD or HD gun is a straight out of the box Glock 30. 0 mods and I asked local law enforcement what they tended to use in their off duty guns. That was Hornady Critical Defense. So that’s what I use.

I do have handguns and rifles I have modified I keep them in a separate safe so I don’t touch them.

No punisher logo’s, no gun humor signs, nothing to make me more interesting to the DA than I already am because I had to use my gun in SD. Which I pray I will never have to do.

1 Like

Welcome @PDA3, glad to have you here!

Adding additional rounds due to an extended magazine doesn’t make the gun more deadly - but a prosecuting attorney may try that card.

The thing that I’ve heard the attorneys say more times than I care to count is: be able to articulate why you did what you did to your firearm.

That also goes for why you carry the ammo you carry. How many rounds do your local police officers carry? Do they have extra magazines too? If it’s good for the police officers, it’s usually an acceptable reason to do/carry it.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The G43 is fairly new to me and I picked it because of the much slimmer profile. I’m 5’7" 160lbs and it much easier to conceal on my frame, especially in FL where we tend to wear light clothing most of the year. Although I’m still not in the carry all the time category, I feel comfortable carrying more often to more places.

Having used the G43 in a couple of training courses, I miss the capacity of G19. To neutralize all threats in most scenarios, I now always have to reload in the middle. I also realized that I tend to shoot twice at each threat. The 6+1 capacity of the G43 really throws that off. Doing the +1 modification on the magazine helps in training, but that’s probably not a good enough excuse in court.

For now, I think I’ll play it safe and use the extensions without the added capacity.

1 Like

@PDA3 Have you considered the 43X? Same slim profile, a total capacity of 20+1 with the second mag, compared to the 12+1 with the 43 and a spare mag. It’s a ~50% increase in capacity. I carried the 43 for a few years and just shifted to the 43X. I shoot the 43X better and it seems to ride better in my UnderTech UnderCover shirts.

2 Likes

@OldGnome Yes, I did consider the 43X. Although just as slim as the 43, it is just longer enough to print more noticeably in my preferred carry position, even compared to the 43 with the finger extension.

3 Likes

@PDA3 - understood.

2 Likes

I have recently discovered, to my glee, the flat trigger. It has helped me be more accurate. Something about my hands and the trigger press really got better with the flat trigger.

2 Likes

I bet you have big paws or VERY short fingers. One of the other things a flat trigger does in general is that it is re-engineered to have less travel and take up. The reset is most times significantly less.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

What you are asking is not a “question of law” but a question of how certain facts may be (manipulated and) used against you by the prosecution.
No, an extra bullet or two does not make a firearm more deadly. A deadly weapon is deadly and a firearm is a deadly weapon. As others have said, be able to explain to your lawyer why you made decisions you made, such as choice of firearm, ammunition and any modifications that you had made to the weapon. And I mean you tell this ONLY to your lawyer unless your lawyer tells you to tell someone else.
If you can add 2 rounds to (3) 6 round mags you just added 33% capacity without carrying a 4th magazine.

4 Likes

Good morning Sir. I am indeed a member of the short finger club. A big roger that on the reset. The flat trigger just makes the weapon easier for me all the way around. Sig does not charge much for them either. Have a great day sir.

2 Likes

Fo

strong textFor my EDC Ruger LC9s I have trituim sights & a grip sleeve

1 Like

Just got a Lyman Accusight Sight Pusher and Zev barrel.

2 Likes

I’m trying to find the part that makes my pistol rise up at night on its own and shoot everyone in their sleep. The guy on the news said that they do this. I want to take that part off.

3 Likes

I built my own AR45 with Glock magazine interchangeability between my side arm Glock 21SF. Carry/maintain/store single ammunition with multi platform functionality.

!

2 Likes

On my CZ 75C, I went ahead and got some aftermarket grips from lokgrips.com. I got some very well textured, palm swell grips and will never go back to the stock ones!

1 Like

HD and SD guns added a light to HD guns. Other than that. 0, nada, zilch.

Competition guns, different story but they are kept in different safes.

I put tritium sight, a 300 lumen light/strobe & Talon grip tape on my Ruger Pro 9mm Service pistol. It’s a tank. I love this gun. Carried a Glock 22 for years & this Ruger is great for big hands & large people. It simply will not jam or stovepipe!!! Amazing, accurate & very different pistol. Probobly not for everyone but it’s a sweeeeet gun.

2 Likes