What kind of training should I be doing?

I would strongly suggest you find a range to shoot. My range has an FFL licence so I bought most of my weapons online and had them shipped to this FFL. This way you can get something you are comfortable with. I wouldnt trust a used weapon from a pawn shop, you cannot tell how abused it has been. Just my opinion though…

4 Likes

Hi, Dorothy - good luck to you as well. I’m surprised that there are not many gun ranges in VA. We have one or two close to me and there is one outside of Baltimore where I did my Concealed Carry class. This forum is a GREAT place for information, as you can tell by all of the responses I’ve gotten.

2 Likes

I guess that would depend on how you feel about your skillset? Have you been able to practice your draw from conceal? What do you plan on teaching, beyond the basic concealed pistol?

2 Likes

@Dorothy have you tried the where to shoot app? I know it is available for Android phones. Not sure about Apple.

3 Likes

No, I have not. I was given guidance by an instructor on the range I go to on how to simulate drawing from a holster. My permit has been approved, I’m just waiting on the official confirmation. BTW, I am not an instructor but may look into that, depending on how well I do as a student! And, based on some of the suggestions on this forum, I will most likely try competitive shooting, although I never imagined that I would have ever considered it! Never too old to learn new skills.

4 Likes

Hi, @Jerzees - I tried searching the site for the classes you reference but can’t seem to locate them easily. Do you, or anyone else, have links to this training? Thanks! :pray:t3:

2 Likes

Hi, @Todd30 - is this target available anywhere for downloading? Thanks!

2 Likes

Sure.
USCCA training can be found here:
https://training.usconcealedcarry.com/ (already posted by @Cobra)

Type in your zipcode to find classes close to you.

and now fun part begins.
Under CURRICULUM check DEFENSIVE SHOOTING
A_20201012_03

This should narrow the search:

You should find these:

• DEFENSIVE SHOOTING FUNDAMENTALS LEVEL 1 and LEVEL 2
  • DEFENSIVE PISTOL 1 - 4

Sometimes “Defensive Shooting Fundamentals” are listed as “DSF1”, “DSF2”.

These:

• HOLSTERING
  • ADVANCED HANDGUN
  • LOW LIGHT CONDITION SHOOTING

you have to look at your local ranges or gun stores. I’ve found a great Instructor at my local range and I’m attending his “private lessons”.

The best is to have a good relationship with Instructor you like work with - once he finds the level of your skills he can setup a group for private classes.

3 Likes

Right Handed Shooter :point_right:

Left Handed Shooter :point_left:

4 Likes

We have Airsoft replicas, green gas. Much cheaper than ammo, exact replicas of one of our carry pistols. So any time we want, we can practice in the backyard. In addition to going to the range.

Is Airsoft worth doing?

2 Likes

6 inch printable target

6 Likes

I do practice but never thought to use a sling. I had a co-worker who had a baby and had him use a 10# bag of bird seed as his baby. :+1:

Armed Citizen Corner: Single-Handed Shooting, Why Practice It?

June 4, 2020 by The Tactical Hermit in Another Reason to Be Armed, Armed Citizen Corner, Concealed and Open Carry Issues, Concealed Carry Cautionary Tales, Constitutional Carry, Firearm Training Tips, Tradecraft, Training, Training Tips and tagged Another Reason to Be Armed, Armed Citizen Corner, CO 101, Concealed Carry Training, Firearms Training Tips, Weapons and Training

Single-Handed Shooting: Why Practice It?

This is a skill I always sharpen when at the range because you never know when Mr. Murphy is gonna kick you in the nuts when out on the street among the savages.

The old adage “Better to have it and not need than need it and not have it” not only applies to HARDWARE but SOFTWARE as well!

Train for those situations you think will never happen!

Murphy’s Law is always creeping!

Stay Alert, Armed and Dangerous!

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I looked but could not find any courses in my area. It was a quick look, I’ll try again tonight. But I did get an e-mail with the weekly special that offers the books and some videos for $147. Is that worth it in case I can’t find the courses locally?
Thanks for your help

3 Likes

Basically it’s up to you. Everybody absorbs video classes differently. For sure DVD will never substitute any live class. DVD will get you knowledge but then you have to practice under Instructor’s supervision.
For me any DVD is a waste of money, because all the videos you can find on YouTube. Most of great Instructors have their own channel and that should be enough to watch before you practice.
You have to be careful learning from videos, because you can train yourself in wrong way. If you find something for you and you start practicing it incorrectly - there will be a problem to get rid of bad habit / mechanics.

If you cannot find anything in your location, check your local Range. Perhaps you have any shooting club…
What about USCCA Instructors in your location? You can always use one of them for private classes.

https://training.usconcealedcarry.com/instructor-search

5 Likes

Thanks for that advice, pretty much what I thought - I need hands-on to correct my shooting form, for sure. And, I have enough videos to watch, between what USCCA provides (excellent) and the SealedMindset stuff I recently bought. I’ll have a look at the instructors link you sent!

3 Likes

I have actually found after working hard on my single hand shooting, whether it is just strong hand or my weak hand, I become more efficient with both hands together. So, it is a win, win, and win situation.

5 Likes

Fine ammo had some ( 50 to a box) in 115, prefer 124. But never a problem. They ran well

4 Likes

I’ve read a number of posts about this on these forums, and how new carry folk stand out to other, more experienced ones. One common theme is ‘messing’ with your handgun, adjusting it, making sure it’s covered, etc. I make a conscious effort to pretend my weapon isn’t there, that is, I don’t need to touch it, or adjust it, as I use a form-fitted OWB holster w/retaining strap on a 14 oz. leather gunbelt, so the weapon is secure. Since I know it’s secure I don’t feel the need to mess with it. I do have one ‘advantage’ though. Since I’m disabled, I use the powered shopping carts in a store, thus I’m sitting, not standing, but even walking from the car I make the effort to not bother with my gun - it’s not going anywhere.
I try to be just another old codger limping along with my cane, nothing to see here, folks. OK, maybe I look around quite a bit more than most folks, but it’s not like I can jump out of the way if I don’t notice a car in time, so that’s all good.

5 Likes

Ah, but not all ‘adjusting’ is due to the firearm. Some of us have carried for decades, and still adjust our belts and pants… especially as we have aged and gained some middle girth (not middle earth and the Hobbits… :slight_smile: …). If I happen to go out without a firearm, which is rare, but might happen, especially depending on where I am going, or if I secure my firearm in the car if going into a courthouse or some other building not allowed to carry in, I still tend to adjust my belt and pants, hitch them up, or some other action.

Since it is a natural action, even without a firearm, it just becomes part of daily actions, and not always adjusting the firearm, but simply pulling pants up after getting in and out of vehicles.

Yes, we should avoid making obvious blatant adjustments or other movements, but to express to people, especially new carriers that they should NEVER adjust their belt or pants might create a more nervous and easily observable action as they become self conscious of their movements. If you hitch up your pants after getting out of your car (before you carried) you can still do so after you start to carry.

If you do so only out of obvious concern over the firearm, that you need to practice and become more comfortable with.

5 Likes