What kind of training should I be doing?

LOL…such a simple statement it took me second.

2 Likes

mental stress training should def be on the top of your list, with all the nonsense and rhetoric going around these days you’re definitely gonna have to be able to separate the radicals from the fear mongers and so on…good luck.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s what I’ve heard from a lot of people, especially at a gun show I was at recently. They call it “The Independent State of MD” and not without good reason. I’m able to get a CWP only because I meet a very specific criteria. I don’t understand why they restrict 10 rounds in the mag - I was at a range yesterday trying out the Glock 19X they have for rent there and loaded almost a full magazine (I put in about 15 rounds). So I have to go out of state to buy the magazine for that handgun, which I can then bring into the state and use as my carry weapon. Don’t know why I just can’t get the full capacity magazine in the first place!

2 Likes

Thanks again to everyone who has replied and the new posters. I’m confident that with all the suggestions and pointers here (especially working on misfires, which happened yesterday with the H&K 9VP I worked with and freaked me out a little), I’m sure I’ll make a lot of progress over the next few months. USCCA is a great community to be part of and my monthly dues have already paid huge dividends!

5 Likes

Kevin, I’m so glad you asked this question. I too am a newcomer to the weapons world but right now do not have access to firing range. I have not purchased or tried a weapon since there are not many to choose from. ammo is very scarce and you really need to know someone to know where to find what you need. I have my concealed carry permit for VA…I have read all the suggestions given to you and will try to decipher them for my use. Good luck in your quest. As soon as I got my carry permit, I joined USCCA as recommended by my instructor.

4 Likes

I have not scrolled through to see what replies you have gotten… but.

Any training that you might do will depend on the rules of the range.

Some ranges require you to stay in your position, no movement, and no drawing from the holster, others will allow some. Some ranges allow for more rapid fire, and some require slow and even firing.

Check with your range. see what their rules are.

Otherwise, you can practice dry firing at home (UNLOADED… make sure it is UNLOADED) and practice drawing from your holster.

Check the training at USCCA… there are plenty of available training videos and information.

Oh, lest I totally forget my manners… Welcome to the party.

4 Likes

Dorothy,

You said you took a class and have your cwp. What did you shoot in the class? Do you know if you want a pistol or a revolver? Both have tehir merits. Will you be the one cleaning the gun or will you have someone else do it? What is the comfort level of the person cleaning the weapon in regards to firearms?

In the CWP class I just took, we had everything from 22 pocket pistols to revolvers and Glocks. Depending on what you want to accomplish, your comfort level and your budget are all things that will help you decide what to use. Happy to help in any way I can as I feel the more we help each other the better we all become.

Also remember that real life is not like the movies. There is virtually no concealable hand gun that will stop a 250lb person in ther tracks with a single shot. (I know a lot of people may disagree, but headshots don’t count). That is why training and proper weapon selection is so important. If I choose to carry a weapon I can only manage one shot with it is pretty ineffective. Maybe I can’t aim properly because it is too heavy, I can’t grip it right because it is too small, or I can clear a miss fire/miss feed. If all you wind up with is a 22 but you are proficient with it and get off several rounds it will be far more effective than the wrong one.

Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Remember, VA is also an open carry state.

What type of firearm do you prefer?

Depending on location, there are options to purchase, or you can check to see if any FFL nearby will accept a firearm ordered online for you.

3 Likes

Kevin that is a great point on the FFL. I am in SC and guns are available depending on what you are looking for. Many have online sales.

4 Likes

Martin36, We did not shoot anything. We had a 6 hour class on cc laws of VA, he had a pistol to show us how to break it down. We learned about USCCA and its benefits. The safety rules of guns, how to handle ourselves if stopped by law enforcement, what to say and not say. How and when to carry concealed. Safety was the most important issue he stressed and making sure we are ready to shoot before aiming at someone. I learned a lot of safety but no hands on…I went to a pawn shop and he only had 2 pistols. I could not pull back the chamber (I have been online and watching how to do it even though my hands are weak) so I will go back there and try it again. I will be taking total care of my gun. I live alone and will have to adapt to whatever needs to be done. I agree, I want to know what I am doing and be good at it no matter how small my weapon is. If I can get out of there alive I will have accomplished my goal.

5 Likes

I have no preference because I have not fired a weapon since retiring from the Navy. I want something small and concealable if needed but big enough to present a threat to someone. I will go back to the pawn shop and see if they have anything left. They mentioned that perhaps they may have a place in the country I can use to fire. They will let me rent a firearm from them and sell me ammo to use. Thanks for the help and recommendations.

3 Likes

I have a recommendation for purchasing handguns. Budsgunshop offers a large selection of firearms and offer discounts/specials to Military and LEOs (Exclusive: Qualified Professional). They can ship to your FFL. Check them out at your earliest.

3 Likes

Renting is always a good option, a lot will allow you to try out the firearm if you purchase a full box of ammo.

Depending on your plans, and I noticed earlier you said hand strength was an issue, a good .380 might be easy enough on the hands and the springs light enough to rack the slide, but they are smaller so there is less to grab to actually rack the slide.

If you have a Dunham Sports in your area, they generally have a decent inventory, though not always what you may be looking for, and their prices are not bad, and usually… usually, they have ammo, though the two in my area have started showing signs of inventory problems.
There is also Green Top near Richmond, and Sportman’s Warehouse in Roanoke, and a few others to check out. Plus online options, Cheaper Than Dirt, Sportsmansguide, and impact guns, plus buds… if you have an FFL nearby that will accept shipment and do the background check.

I have also found some at Rural King, they had a nice 1911 a while back.

You are not limited to the pawn shop.

2 Likes

Hey… a .22 is a very good choice.

Perhaps not the optimum, but an excellent choice. If you have to go to the beach, or need to wear swim trunks and a tank, a .22 might be just what the doctor ordered… and if you use ‘gun control’ and HIT what you aim at… a .22 will work. .22LR or .22 WMR, either one.

Just saying, you should not hurt the .22’s feelings… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dorothy you may want to consider a revolver to start. You don’t have to worry about racking them, are easy to clean and simple to operate. The draw backs are it has a lower round count and takes longer to load. I would suggest a 357 so you will have an option of 4 different rounds that can be shot. You can shoot 38 caliber through it all day long and once you are comfortable with it you can move up to 38+, 38++ or 357. Keep in mind you can do this with a 357 and go down but you can not get a 38 and shoot anything except 38 through it.

For defensive purposes I would suggest hollow points.

You could also consider a 380 semi auto as long as you can rack the slide.

Unless you know what to look for in a specific gun, I would try to steer clear of pawn shops. You may not know if something is wrong with it but I don’t know you level of comfort/expertise with weapons.

Finally, thank you for your service.
I had not shot a pistol since I left the Navy either which was a long time ago. I just purchased a 9mm a few months ago.

2 Likes

Welcome from another Virginian and glad to have you aboard. I have a few ranges by me in the Hampton Roads area. But they are charging an arm and a leg for ammo.

1 Like

Everyone is charging an arm and leg.

South Central VA is getting short on supply… and prices are up some on some and a lot on others.

Stopped at one store just to check, and while they had rifle ammo (very little 5.56) they had very little pistol ammo… some .357 from a brand I did not know, and no .45 and almost no 9mm… but they did have some .327 and .41 magnum. Another store is down to ONE box per caliber per customer and that may be reduced to one box per customer soon… but they did have ammo.

2 Likes

@Dorothy I would recommend the M&P Shield 9mm EZ. Hence EZ to rack the slide and it’s concealable and light weight. If they have it available try it out.

4 Likes

@Kevin29 if there’s a Bass Pro shop near you check it out they had 9mm rounds brand HERTERS they had them for $19.99 box of 100 and I’ve never tried them but got good feedback from @Jerzees whom I believe used them before.

2 Likes

None exactly near me, but then, I do wander over about 150 mile radius. Will keep an eye out when I am over near Richmond and there is a large outlet in Roanoke. A Ganders outdoors I think it is now.

2 Likes