What kind of home security do you have?

@Andrew,

If you ever change the lights outside look into combo lights/cameras from the company that makes the RING Doorbell. They are incorporated into the RING system so if someone trips the motion sensor the lights and cameras come on and you can see it in your RING system.

4 Likes

I’ve seen those too, @NJStraightShooter. We’ve got a dark side of our house that I’d love to put flood lights on, however it would light up the back of my not-so-friendly neighbor’s house. If I angle them right, I think it will work. And I’d love to have a camera over there as well!

3 Likes

I used to be more of an idiot and leave my truck unlocked. I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming and thought I was safe from the crime. As a result I lost a few hunting knives, one with serious sentimental value, an entire roll of skoal and a few dollars in change. I eventually learned my lesson and began to learn how the lock button works on my truck. I also mounted two infrared lighted security cameras at either end of my home. While I’ve yet to apprehend Jack the Ripper they have answered a few questions about what went bump in the night. What I might add, @Dawn is don’t forget to check local laws about recording devices. Bottom line is you are more than likely going to be obligated to post some sort of signage stating something along the lines of “smile, you’re on Candid Camera”.

3 Likes

I will be adding closed-circuit cameras with night-vision in 4 locations in my home

4 Likes

@Dawn Here are some direct pics of my YI system. Cameras are WiFi and connect to your home internet and run between $30-$50 each and connect to a free app. We have the app on our phones and iPads. Monthly cloud subscription is $20 every 3 months for 5 cameras on a continuous feed.

I have 4 stationary and 2 dome cameras that pan, rotate, and track. All have a bright LED status light, motion sensing, night vision, two way audio. They provide an Micro SD card slot for memory access onboard and detection alerts as well. 2 cameras are hidden inside as well, 1 stationary 1 dome.

I have signage, cameras visible and hidden, our dogs are a great deterrent for any unexpected visitors.

My neighbor across the street with the 2 story has our homefront covered as well. I can see my sons house 7 houses up, and 5 houses down, people don’t realize how much coverage I have so it has already came in handy providing documentation

image image image image image image

5 Likes

That’s awesome, @KenM! And the weather looks amazing!! (We’ve got a winter weather advisor again tonight :confused: )

Do your neighbors know about the cameras? It sounds like you and the neighbor across the street have a good thing set up where you cover each other’s houses.

4 Likes

The weather has been rainy, and about 48 degrees so not too bad.

My neighbor across the street is an attorney so he’s away so appreciates the cameras, his mother lives there as well and helps with his teenage high schoolers.

My neighbor with the two story is a marine combat vet, he’s now a county paramedic so he’s away for days at times so we help his wife and two young children often. He liked my system so much he chose to get the same for the exterior, I forgot what he has for the interior aside from his alarm system.

My neighbors that are on each side of me appreciate the coverage as well they’re retired. The neighbors up the flag lot keep a lookout as well.

3 Likes

Unfornately don’t have security system but have 2 9mm hand guns!!

6 Likes

Anyone who breaks in, I think they’ll get the PICTURE. Haha. Get it? Cameras? Sorry, couldn’t resist saying that.

7 Likes

You should patent that and sell it to marketing.

Our CEO’s name is Dick. When I was invited to a corp function I wanted to get a bunch of shirts for everyone that read “If you haven’t been to President’s Club, then you don’t know Dick”.

My Director didn’t think I should risk an early paycheck.

6 Likes

When I was caretaker for my dad with terminal cancer and Alzheimer’s, I invested in an inexpensive wifi camera system that has motion sensor alarms on each camera in the event he headed out a door. After he passed and I moved to an apartment (door outside is to the street/parking lot), two cameras went up outside (the complex didn’t like it at first but we don’t have security and their cameras rarely work, I fought them over it and they gave in). Inside, I have another wifi (btw I encrypted my own wifi connection from the cameras) that gives a complete view of the whole downstairs. As an added measure, I have a motion sensor alarm across the complete width of the apartment on the door/window side. All windows and doors also have their own individual, battery backup alarms for motion or breakage. Sound good? add in my ankle biter of a dog (more like lick you to death fur baby) who barks at anything noisy and security system is functional.

4 Likes

Just getting around to reading this thread… we had a rescue pair of great Dane/catahoula crosses… 110 lbs each of awesome beautiful hound. Unfortunately we didn’t have jobs for them, so they went off to Texas to hunt wild hogs for one of the hog crews featured on the “Hogs Gone Wild” TV series.

I watched the video where one of the guys shoots himself in the abdomen on one of those jackets :astonished: that’s a lot of faith in your product. Made me want to buy one though.

We’ve got great pyrenees dogs loose on the farm - protecting the livestock and loud about anything they don’t like or expect. One of the new pups is going with my granddaughter and great grandbaby to their house nightly. She’s too young to be a threat now but at 75 lbs she’ll handle most threats. The African geese are great alarm animals… set up quite the ruckus when anything unexpected happens, night or day.
Getting cameras on my granddaughters house. Going to be adding security film to the windows shortly.
We live in a concrete bunker and it’s got steel doors and frames, and all high windows. So the house is pretty secure. Plus since its underground you can’t really see it from the street.

4 Likes

We just purchased our second “RING” flood light camera. We’ve been completely satisfied with the one watching our front that we bought another for the backyard. I’ll be installing it this weekend.

3 Likes

Wyze cams are getting got for indoor and very affordable

3 Likes

I have friends that help.

Smith, Wesson, Ruger, Winchester, and Remington, and even Western Auto plus a couple of others :slight_smile:

But, am starting to consider a camera, if not at the door, along the long access driveway.

2 Likes

Exterior lighting, a burglar alarm, a dedicated and blood thirsty terrier-ist, and me.

2 Likes

This is something like my daughter and her husband have. I came with the house but have updated and added to it.

1 Like

I won’t have Ring or anything like it. They get hacked routinely, and are thus unreliable. Too many stories of bad guys using them against the household for me to trust them.

1 Like

What is necessary and needed.